Does 'The Code' annoy anyone else?

LeCorbeauNoir

Swashbuckler
That is, the code which states that you may stab, explode, slice hex, or drown a human enemy, but ABSOLUTELY NOT shoot them.

In the olden days, I assumed it was either an ESRB or Disney thing, but nowadays we don't have to worry about either, and I'd love for it to be a togglable setting, that way people who want to preserve the spirit of the old game can keep it and those it annoys can turn it off.

ahoy, ye need to follow the pirate code matey

unless ye want to get marooned by yer own crew.....

We still have to worry about Disney they could crap the project down if they really wanted.

It pretty likely it was originally implemented to help get the rating they wanted.

Now we maintain it to make sure that Disney doesn't decide they don't let he the idea of people getting shot in one of their games originally released for kids and shut us down.

We still have to worry about Disney they could crap the project down if they really wanted.

It pretty likely it was originally implemented to help get the rating they wanted.

Now we maintain it to make sure that Disney doesn't decide they don't let he the idea of people getting shot in one of their games originally released for kids and shut us down.
But the people toons get blowd up by kids and this is fine with disney.
aye aye.

That is, the code which states that you may stab, explode, slice hex, or drown a human enemy, but ABSOLUTELY NOT shoot them.

In the olden days, I assumed it was either an ESRB or Disney thing, but nowadays we don't have to worry about either, and I'd love for it to be a togglable setting, that way people who want to preserve the spirit of the old game can keep it and those it annoys can turn it off.
Although a sound and logical idea that sounds simple, there's no telling how something like that could be coded into the game, if at all.
And passing it by legal.

I don't think anyone seriously believes this rationale. Disney wouldn’t care if you could shoot humans.

Disney clearly isn’t applying that much scrutiny to the project and there are already plenty of better excuses for them to shut the game down. TLOPO just isn’t big enough for them to think shutting it down is worth paying a lawyer to spend an hour writing up a C&D.

I don't think anyone seriously believes this rationale. Disney wouldn’t care if you could shoot humans.

Disney clearly isn’t applying that much scrutiny to the project and there are already plenty of better excuses for them to shut the game down. TLOPO just isn’t big enough for them to think shutting it down is worth paying a lawyer to spend an hour writing up a C&D.

You're definitely right, it is a super tiny thing when you think about the situation as a whole. They have justification at any point to do so with what's already been done.

At any rate i don't think it's so much about Disney taking action because if this, as much as it putting the project on their radar in a bad light

All it would take is one bad article with the tagline "Disney game for children allows players to shoot the military" to go viral on Facebook even if it were written as satire for Disney to take notice.

It's unlikely to happen but much stranger things have happened before

But the people toons get blowd up by kids and this is fine with disney.
aye aye.
It's alot harder for a kid to get ahold of a bomb than it is a gun, when the game was released and the rule was put in place bombings weren't as much of a widely talked about issue.

If the game were released in today's climate it's possible that wouldn't be allowed either.

For all we know Disney stopped supporting the game because of the violence against military figures in game. They could have been worried about the negative press it could cause one of their very profitable IPs. (I don't honestly think this is the reason why)

It's better to just stay E rated as possible and as close to the original gameplay guidelines as possible to avoid Disney overacting.

It's alot harder for a kid to get ahold of a bomb than it is a gun, when the game was released and the rule was put in place bombings weren't as much of a widely talked about issue.

If the game were released in today's climate it's possible that wouldn't be allowed either.

For all we know Disney stopped supporting the game because of the violence against military figures in game. They could have been worried about the negative press it could cause one of their very profitable IPs. (I don't honestly think this is the reason why)

It's better to just stay E rated as possible and as close to the original gameplay guidelines as possible to avoid Disney overacting.
Okay, but toon town uses military and corporate structure and people are killing the bosses all the time aren't they?
For sure, who knows what disney is thinking.

Okay, but toon town uses military and corporate structure and people are killing the bosses all the time aren't they?
For sure, who knows what disney is thinking.
Toontown is about cartoons though. Also may be wrong because I haven't played it in a very long time, but weren't all of the enemies robots?

Pirates were a very real and unfortunately a very gruesome part of our history. That makes a pretty significant impact on how the game is viewed.

Especially with a reboot of the franchise in production with hopefully new and improved Johnny Depp there's going to be alot more eyes on the series and TLOPO. Then there has been in a long time.

All that being said it's probably a good idea for us to make it known that our values do not conflict with Disney's original views for the game and ensure we don't do anything that would make Disney think it best to get rid of us.

when the game was released and the rule was put in place bombings weren't as much of a widely talked about issue
Lol I would have to highly disagree with this. Either way, I don't really care about the whole code thing. It just make's gun a tiny bit harder to level but, again, whatever.

Someone in a different thread commented about how the game was rated PG. First off, the ESRB rates games and PG is a movie rating, not a game rating. POTCO was rated E10+. At the time, the E10+ rating was actually pretty new and it was created specifically for games kind of like POTCO actually, which had more violence than permitted in an E rating (everyone), though were kind of weak in qualifying for a T rating (13+).

The ESRB does a judgment on every game and explains the rating they gave. I can no longer find the judgement on POTCO, though just looking at some contentious ratings between E10+ and T recently, the thing that seemed to sway towards a T was (1) blood, (2) ***ual themes that were more than just suggestive themes (there are specific definitions on what is a suggestive theme or otherwise), (3) simulated gambling. Now keep in mind that these ratings are determined fairly subjectively so there is not a cookie cutter method for assigning these ratings. So just because there is some blood in a game doesn't mean it has to automatically be T or higher, for example.

The third point there, simulated gambling, is my theory on why "the code" was implemented. It seems pretty straightforward that simulated gambling puts a game in T+ most of the time, and POTCO clearly has simulated gambling. Since E10+ was a new rating at the time, I am sure Disney lobbied the ESRB hard to somehow get a E10+ rating because they were running ads for the game and Dead Man's Chest on kid's TV networks (which actually came up in 2007 in a congressional report on marketing violent entertainment to children). I assume Disney and the ESRB committee came to some kind of understanding that allowed the E10+ rating to be justifiable in light of some T-rated aspects in the game. I bet they toned down some suggestive dialogue and perhaps implementing the no shooting live humans part of "the code" as a way to also dull down the violence of the game.

This is purely speculative, but when POTCO was being released I have to say all of this made perfect sense. Even though TLOPO is its own thing, I feel like fundamentally changing an aspect of the game that made it more kid-friendly in the eyes of regulatory agencies in the past would undermine the essence of the game. Even though most players now are the adults that used to be kids back then, and we get annoyed at "the code" and the chat censor, etc, I don't think TLOPO should actively strive to alienate a child audience.

I realize this is getting off topic but whatever...

Im not saying they arent or weren't talked about, just that shootings are much more widely discussed.
You may be somewhat right because the only really 'major' US shooting between 2000 and 2010 was the Virginia Tech one and that happened to be in April of 2007 and the game released October that same year. That may have sensitized things, but I still don't see real world shootings as being the main rationale for "the code."

Either way, the point of my reply to you was that this statement is simply false:

when the game was released and the rule was put in place bombings weren't as much of a widely talked about issue

Shootings are talked about a lot now, but they definitely weren't as widely discussed back then. In 2007 bombings and terrorism were most definitely at the forefront. 2006 had the Mumbai train bombings, in 2005 there were multiple attacks in London, 2004 was the Madrid train bombing everyone still talks about in Spain. There was a troop surge in Iraq and Afghanistan was still raging. A little later in 2008 was that Mumbai hotel attack. I remember watching a lot of this stuff on the news as a kid. No one in school took any school shooting precautions or talked about them, though we did a lot of preparing for terrorist attacks and explosions in school ... such as hiding under your desk and covering your head from shrapnel, etc.

My point is that the concern over school kids shooting people in game was not the kind of topic it is today in the wake of a streak of school shootings. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

when you defeat a human they are 'knocked out' just like we are ... kill monsters only ... it isn't about a rating ... it's about not being a game where you kill people

No, I see shooting people as a huge issue in American society and I see games that reward you for pretend shooting people as promoting gun violence. I do think that Disney thought this too. Whether Disney would take action or not should the game add shooting humans is a matter for conjecture but I’m against it either way.

There is another reason that I don’t want this: this game has poor weapon specialization in general but at least with guns you can’t do everything. My hope is that more powerful weapons that are specialized so that you will need certain types of weapons to defeat new enemies will be added to the game on a regular basis slowly transforming the end game to where you need a variety of weapons to be successful. With your idea you could go loot Remmy till you get Mercer’s and then you’d be done, you win and no more reason to play. Even back in potco I was not happy with the broadswords being both the highest attack swords in the game and also able to attack multiple enemies at the same time, it makes no sense.

Last edited:
You're definitely right, it is a super tiny thing when you think about the situation as a whole. They have justification at any point to do so with what's already been done.

At any rate i don't think it's so much about Disney taking action because if this, as much as it putting the project on their radar in a bad light

All it would take is one bad article with the tagline "Disney game for children allows players to shoot the military" to go viral on Facebook even if it were written as satire for Disney to take notice.

It's unlikely to happen but much stranger things have happened before
but in this game, we are playing pillaging, scurvy, bloodthirsty, coldblooded, raping pirates? pirates were pirates in the real world and in the movies still. not the good guys in general. js

No, I see shooting people as a huge issue in American society and I see games that reward you for pretend shooting people as promoting gun violence. I do think that Disney thought this too. Whether Disney would take action or not should the game add shooting humans is a matter for conjecture but I’m against it either way.

There is another reason that I don’t want this: this game has poor weapon specialization in general but at least with guns you can’t do everything. My hope is that more powerful weapons that are specialized so that you will need certain types of weapons to defeat new enemies will be added to the game on a regular basis slowly transforming the end game to where you need a variety of weapons to be successful. With your idea you could go loot Remmy till you get Mercer’s and then you’d be done, you win and no more reason to play. Even back in potco I was not happy with the broadswords being both the highest attack swords in the game and also able to attack multiple enemies at the same time, it makes no sense.
agreed, playing cooking mama turned me into a chef!!!

agreed, playing cooking mama turned me into a chef!!!
Maybe or maybe not but I say that if someone enjoys pretend cooking and is exposed to many cooking techniques through that and are constantly given rewards for their use of these skills they will be more likely to try them out in the real world than someone who never had those pretend cooking experiences, on average. It’s not about any one individual person but about when you show people how it’s done and reward them for doing it in a modeled environment they pick up how to do that more efficiently and think about it more often than someone without those experiences. Most people that have played WoW do not go around shooting people in the real world but there are a lot of nuts out there and some will pick up violent ideas from games that they have played. You may say well, what about grenades? To that I say, how many US civilians are killed by grenades each year? Grenades are not a huge issue in our society. In fact all the other weapons do not translate to the real world in the way that guns do, they are much more difficult, awkward, risky and messy for the user. With guns for the user they are very much the same in game as they are in the real world.

Back