Donations going to making the servers better.

Would you donate to TLOPO

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyturlte

Sea Legs
Even though they have said they do not take donations I wish for the coders and designers to rethink that. I may have miss understood the amount of funding you have but I believe that you should allow all of the lovers of this game to donate so that this game can be made better than it ever was and so it can stay up for even longer.

Even though they have said they do not take donations I wish for the coders and designers to rethink that. I may have miss understood the amount of funding you have but I believe that you should allow all of the lovers of this game to donate so that this game can be made better than it ever was and so it can stay up for even longer.
I understand your rationale behind doing this, however, it's legal complications, along with their own personal convictions, that are holding them back from accepting donations. Disney still owns the copyright to this game, and if they were to find out that a group of people were taking donations for it, Disney would likely issue a cease and desist, and could take them to court, as they could see it as them attempting to profit off of Disney's copyright.

I understand your rationale behind doing this, however, it's legal complications, along with their own personal convictions, that are holding them back from accepting donations. Disney still owns the copyright to this game, and if they were to find out that a group of people were taking donations for it, Disney would likely issue a cease and desist, and could take them to court, as they could see it as them attempting to profit off of Disney's copyright.

Have the TLOPO team attempted to speak with Disney about the matter

Well said. Disney still fully owns all assets of this game. They also definitely know that this game along with TTR are happening so we don't have to worry about bringing attention to them. They fully know what's going on.

EDIT: Just goes to show you that 99% of people don't understand copyright and ownership (i.e Youtube videos with copyright music, downloading music/movies)

Last edited:
I don't want to deal in absolutes, but suffice to say it's pretty unlikely that Disney isn't aware of the project by now. So far they have been gracious enough to look the other way, and the TLOPO team is doing their best not to jeopardize that. It is for this reason that a few things like open chat and donations are off the table, and always will be... regardless of the merit they may have otherwise.

TLOPO could be shut down as of this moment due to how much of a gray area something like this is. However, they aren't because there is not any revenue the true owners of the assets stand to lose because TLOPO is not taking donations from anyone, they are funding it amongst themselves, among those part of the team. It would not necessarily be the smartest thing for the legal team at Disney for them to spend money on something that is meaningless to their profits.
the TLOPO team is doing their best not to jeopardize that.
I think Davy puts it best here. Considering everything, taking donations puts all of us at risk of losing a ame we just got back. It is entirely possible they will still look the other way, but because cash is involved-profiting or not-the life of the project could go from indefinite to mere months.

Is it possible to make it so some of the donated money could go into disney so both the TLOPO Devs and Disney have profit. Win-Win situation. better server stability for us to play, Disney Gets income.

In my honest opinion, considering that the other remake, which has arguably advertised their project far more than TLOPO has and literally has donations for in-game perks available on their website and they haven't been shut down yet, if we were to take money for only server fees I can't see how that would be an issue.

While it's certainly possible that Disney wouldn't intervene anyways, the TLOPO team would still like to shy away from anything that even has the potential to increase the likelihood of that happening. And again, it's not really a worthwhile endeavor anyways as TLOPO already has the necessary funding. Server stability isn't something that's magically fixed by throwing money at it, the problems arise from issues in the server-code (which are corrected over time), not the hardware itself.

In my honest opinion, considering that the other remake, which has arguably advertised their project far more than TLOPO has and literally has donations for in-game perks available on their website and they haven't been shut down yet, if we were to take money for only server fees I can't see how that would be an issue.

Running a server hosting Disney assets isn't legal so that's why it's an issue. It doesn't matter what the money goes to...

While this is true, everyone must also realize that if it were not for TLOPO being put at-risk...the ethics of a ex-POTCO player or two taking money without everyone knowing for sure where that money is actually going...would have been reported to Disney long ago possibly by others but certainly by myself given how it has been understood here why a certain individual is open to accepting money/donations in the first place:
  • The mindset that it's only "fair" that others donate for a game others are supposedly devoting their personal time and energy towards (and not simply on the basis of the game itself)
*Myself, I am of the opinion that if you decide to pursue a matter/a venture (whatever it is), you outta be smart enough to contemplate before-hand how you are going to go about funding that venture with whatever money you have (or your partners have) at the time the decision is made.

Server stability isn't something that's magically fixed by throwing money at it, the problems arise from issues in the server-code (which are corrected over time), not the hardware itself.
*Myself, I am of the opinion that if you decide to pursue a matter/a venture (whatever it is), you outta be smart enough to contemplate before-hand how you are going to go about funding that venture with whatever money you have (or your partners have) at the time the decision is made.
Both Davy & Shamus have covered the whole aspect of receiving donations pretty well. You can't buy everything with money but even if you could, you're basically playing with your own luck. (for that matter)

Since the OP's concern has been addressed in-depth, I'm now going ahead by locking this thread. Thank you for keeping the conversation civil with humble requests and thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back