Graphics Problem Extra RAM usage buildup on tlopo.exe

BrandonSJ96

Honorable Pirate
As far as I am concerned the game is accumulating unnecessary use of physical memory as you play through the game. I started out with a 250 mb when I log on and load into the map but every time to teleport to an island, ship or cave it doesn't seem to dump the memory left over and therefore adding up to 2 gb of memory and higher and even higher. It's one of those issues that cause your game to lag over time and likely to crash due to exceed amounts of available memory, noticeable to low and high end computers. Memory dumping may improve FPS rate for long play and will no longer have the need to restart the application after a while. It will make playing the game much more smoothly and swiftly.

I thought the decision TLOPO made to cater the game to 64 bit only (as opposed to including 32 bit as well) was supposed to resolve RAM issues.

@BrandonSJ96 - What type of low-to-high end system are you talking about?

I thought the decision TLOPO made to cater the game to 64 bit only (as opposed to including 32 bit as well) was supposed to resolve RAM issues.

@BrandonSJ96 - What type of low-to-high end system are you talking about?
Specifications, not operating systems. Some people still use their old PCs running tlopo. It depends how well they can perform it despite their limitations of resources.

Specifications, not operating systems. Some people still use their old PCs running tlopo. It depends how well they can perform it despite their limitations of resources.
I am an idiot when it comes to tech insight and know-how. I do have my suspicions though that POTCO, now via TLOPO, was not meant for systems newer than Windows 10. (I guess I made such a decision after doing some reading. Also, POTCO devs were forced to make the game compatible with a variety of different ‘older’ systems [not newer] with very challenging memory capabilities). *If your OP input can resolve issues going on with TLOPO, I do appreciate you stepping up and voicing such concern here. ;)

I am an idiot when it comes to tech insight and know-how. I do have my suspicions though that POTCO, now via TLOPO, was not meant for systems newer than Windows 10. (I guess I made such a decision after doing some reading. Also, POTCO devs were forced to make the game compatible with a variety of different ‘older’ systems [not newer] with very challenging memory capabilities). *If your OP input can resolve issues going on with TLOPO, I do appreciate you stepping up and voicing such concern here. ;)
Well yeah obviously it shouldn't be newer since the game is made to support low tech computers like Windows XP. The game itself is old compared to that of the new generation of computers. I was looking at the minimum system requirements and it looked ridiculous for a game with such low quality of graphics. What do you expect newer than windows 10 lol.
Screenshot_20190202-035357_Chrome.jpg

Well yeah obviously it shouldn't be newer since the game is made to support low tech computers like Windows XP. The game itself is old compared to that of the new generation of computers. I was looking at the minimum system requirements and it looked ridiculous for a game with such low quality of graphics. What do you expect newer than windows 10 lol.View attachment 113109
I hope someone can address your concern. Generally speaking though, I don’t feel it helps that POTCO’s compatibility had to include a crap load of older operating systems (given both ‘time’ and ‘technology’ has advanced completely beyond that point).

008FF0F1-A3A7-4F8A-9E9D-D268D7215A5E.png

It is nice for tlopo to be completely compatible to both 32 and 64 bit OS as it can now work better for the past and future.
:p

would it help if we put our computers into compatibility mode, say so Windows 7 … would that use less memory or do they just need to create a way to dump unnecessary memory once we leave an island, etc.?

would it help if we put our computers into compatibility mode, say so Windows 7 … would that use less memory or do they just need to create a way to dump unnecessary memory once we leave an island, etc.?
There's other issues with memory management. Depending on the age of your MB, it may not be capable of seeing more than a 2T hardrive and winXP can't see more than 2 or 4 gigs of ram. CPU of age may not be able to run 64bit. Win7 had a gig ram limit and you needed 64bit win7 sp1 to utilize more than 4 gigs of ram. If your MB is new enough. Today's systems have pretty much cleared all the limits.
I'm on an older MB, non ssd and can only use 8 gigs of ram and of course slower ram. Technically, I don't even know what tlopo looks like with full on graphics.
But if tlopo does have memory leaks, then curing that issue would help everyone no matter what system they have.
Kind of sad when I really look at it, but my desktop, maybe 4 years old, which tops out at 2T seta hardrive, 8 gigs of ram is now below the shelf system cheap laptop under 500 bucks.

Last edited:
As far as I am concerned the game is accumulating unnecessary use of physical memory as you play through the game. I started out with a 250 mb when I log on and load into the map but every time to teleport to an island, ship or cave it doesn't seem to dump the memory left over and therefore adding up to 2 gb of memory and higher and even higher. It's one of those issues that cause your game to lag over time and likely to crash due to exceed amounts of available memory, noticeable to low and high end computers. Memory dumping may improve FPS rate for long play and will no longer have the need to restart the application after a while. It will make playing the game much more smoothly and swiftly.
I tried to reproduce your results. Fought an invasion on the busy server. Then a couple more invasions when that was done on other servers (memory usage continued to grow) Went back to the busy server launched my ship and found a bunch of pirate ships fihhting hunters and warships.

Watched my memory usage grow from hundreds,of megs to 3.3 gigs. Then when I ported, I switched to a quiet server and tlopo memory allocation dropped back down to 1.5 gigs and began to steadily grow again.

I am running Windows 10 and getting between 20 to 30 fps even after playing for hours. Not sure why my memory usage dropped, but i haven't noticed laggy or stutter behavior.

I can't remember the last time I disconnected outside of a server reset.

@BrandonSJ96 - Did you used to play POTCO? I don’t know if this is related in any way but I do recall too that in playing POTCO everyone used to get a lot of session/something, something “time-outs” to where too pirates were being booted from the game itself during very long, extended moments of play.

This leads me to ask if the memory leaks experienced now is actually something experienced back then (if RAM issues alone had caused these ‘time-outs’). *I mean, it was happening so frequent on POTCO that Disney even made it into a formal in-game “suggestion/tip” on our screens within POTCO as you sat waiting for the game itself to load (or during periods of load like right after the launching of your ship, as an example). In other words, we were encouraged to log out and then log back into game after many hours of playing.

Anyone: Could this previous known factor, if relevant, contribute to the decision for TLOPO to choose 64 or the 32?

@BrandonSJ96 - Did you used to play POTCO? I don’t know if this is related in any way but I do recall too that in playing POTCO everyone used to get a lot of session/something, something “time-outs” to where too pirates were being booted from the game itself during very long, extended moments of play.

This leads me to ask if the memory leaks experienced now is actually something experienced back then (if RAM issues alone had caused these ‘time-outs’). *I mean, it was happening so frequent on POTCO that Disney even made it into a formal in-game “suggestion/tip” on our screens within POTCO as you sat waiting for the game itself to load (or during periods of load like right after the launching of your ship, as an example). In other words, we were encouraged to log out and then log back into game after many hours of playing.

Anyone: Could this previous known factor, if relevant, contribute to the decision for TLOPO to choose 64 or the 32?
I never played POTCO at all so I don't know what has been going on over there. If I knew I'd tell you anyway.

I have decided a while back to log off and back on when I am going to be doing load of things for a quest. Usually when I do this I don't get booted and can finish the task. Just a precaution because I don't like sailing, etc and getting booted in the middle of play.

I have decided a while back to log off and back on when I am going to be doing load of things for a quest. Usually when I do this I don't get booted and can finish the task. Just a precaution because I don't like sailing, etc and getting booted in the middle of play.
Hmm. It's possible your logging off could be a type of manual refreshing of ram and ram purging that the game isn't handling well. If this really does make a difference and can be shown in some technically documented way, you may be showing a good example of a tlopo possibility of a lack of memory handling issue. If memory leaks in tlopo do indeed exist.
I can't prove it but I believe they do.

Last edited:
Back