Question fastest way to level up grenade?

There's a few threads on leveling grenades, like this one for example:
https://piratesforums.co/threads/how-to-level-grenades.708/

It also all depends on how you setup your skill points. Here is a thread I made on how to setup your skill points for the most rep.
https://piratesforums.co/threads/setting-up-skill-points-for-best-rep.5857/

Ben is right, usually "power levelers" tend to do grenades first, and max them as soon as they get them. The difference lies in if you can hit the 6 veterans in Kingshead with 1 Stink Pot & 2 Explosives (17 rep, with 5 Long Volley and 1 on each grenade type until Reputation level 26) or 1 Stink Pot & 1 Explosive (14 rep after level 26).

From level 26, I tend to bring my grenades to Tormenta no matter the level they are at currently (if done right, you should be 20-21, but if you're lower than 14, you should go to Cutthroat Jungle). My set is reset, and I use 5 for Throw, Long Volley, and Siege Charge, 1 for Fire Bomb and Demolitions, 4 for Determination, and 1 for Barrage (cannon).
From here on out, you will likely kill each enemy with 3-4 hits, amounting in 17-21 reputation. Level usually doesn't change the damage enough for you to land only 2 hits, but if it does, you should be high enough to go to the Treasure Room and start sieging, which is the reason for the 1 point in Barrage. If I can't kill all enemies within 2 hits in Treasure Room, then I usually increase Barrage.

An important thing to remember in Grenades is that the "# of hits" you get is (and isn't) as important as with other weapons. Grenades do a lot of damage and kill relatively quickly; 6 hits, giving 25 rep to 3 enemies per 2 minutes (37.5 rep per minute) is worse than 3 hits, giving 17 rep to 7 enemies per 2 minutes (59.5 rep per minute).

The trick for all weapons is to find the relative max by taking into account both the amount of hits you can deal out, and how long it takes for you to deal them out.

It is my experience that leveling grenades at kingshead no longer works no matter where you stand. The Navy comes through the fence if they cannot bayonet you at the edge of the fence. The Kingshead technique used to work flawlessly, but now it's a bust more often than not, at least in my experience.

The way I go about it starts in Cuba or Tortuga.

Nade Fly traps at either site to begin with--Tortuga has higher lvl fly traps though, so best start in Cuba to begin with. Once you get to like lvl 5, 6, definitely move to Tortuga. Nade the fly traps in Tortuga Swamp area until around lvl 8 - 10 with nades. Once the enemy turn green--not yellow or red--time to move on. That applies to each place I mention here. When the enemy banner starts being green, find another spot to lvl with higher lvl enemies for better rep and usually better loot.

Next -- Go to where the grenadiers and slashers reside in the Catacombs. My tactic, shoot the slashers (lvls gun pretty quickly too) AND THEN grenade the grenadiers. YES, you take damage because they throw at you too, but if you're quick enough (and anyone should be) you can get three, four, or five grenadiers stacked around you at once (the two in the back room would make four or five grenadiers). Then as you throw, you kill them all. I can usually get arounda combined 250 - 350 rep from killing ALL five at once--Around 75 rep for each enemy. That's pretty good. I use nothing but stinkpots and the dead enemies tend to reward you with stinkpots re-ups as you kill them--from loots bags, chests, skulls of course. I dont put "dots" (skill points) into any thing else for a long while. I open up stink pot with one dot and place ONE dot in long volley. I save the rest of my skill points for WAY later (the nade passives and siege), OR stick a few of them in the explosive slot.

Hint: Putting three or four skill points in the explosive grenades skill can help you kill something fast if you get into trouble--about to die. In other words-- for a moment you can switch from leveling mode to life saving mode with simply going from stinkpot to explosive that has 3, 4 skill points in them. Remember when ready, you can always re-train the weapon and take those points back out of explosive and place them where you want--but for now we are just discussing leveling those pesky nades. Anyways, you can get to around lvl 15- 20 nades in the Catacombs and move up 4, 5, maybe 6 lvls on your gun skills.

After the Catacombs, I move on to Tormenta where the flotsams and spinskulls are. I shoot flotsams and nade spinekulss til around lvl 23 to 25 on my grenades. Spineskulls use FLAME NADES--Be careful. Your rep may slow down here because you WILL see the importance of having those 3, 4 skill spoints in explosives here. But they are part of the progression of leveling nades. Never said it was easy OR fast--lol!!

Once done there, you will move to the Thrall Room. Shoot Thrall Captains and nade Urchinfists. Thrall Captains are NO JOKE. So...... ya better have that gun PRIMED--LvL 25 or higher with steel shot opened up and at least a couple of skill points in it. As always, have plenty of tonics wherever ya go.

One last hint--When ya get to Thrall Room--Ya can also DOLL Thrall Captains to0--attune and run--better have some strength there too though. Again, Thrall Captains are NO JOKE.

Take lots of tonics wherever ya go. Also, it's a leveling task that, most times, is best done alone and on a REALLY quiet server.

Okay, there's my guide. It has worked for me with going on three great pirates now. Hope it helps.

Great post. If it were possible to mark key threads I would do it just for this one. Adding a few things:

It is my experience that leveling grenades at kingshead no longer works no matter where you stand.

For a while now, Veterans have been known to fall through the ground if you go behind the fence... I still like it over Cuba & Tortuga, but I strafe around with the Nades instead of hiding behind the fence. You can usually skimp on the damage and recover whatever you lost well before the next batch appears.

Next -- Go to where the grenadiers and slashers reside in the Catacombs. My tactic, shoot the slashers (lvls gun pretty quickly too) AND THEN grenade the grenadiers. YES, you take damage because they throw at you too, but if you're quick enough (and anyone should be) you can get three, four, or five grenadiers stacked around you at once (the two in the back room would make four or five grenadiers). Then as you throw, you kill them all. I can usually get arounda combined 250 - 350 rep from killing ALL five at once--Around 75 rep for each enemy.

I tried this a while ago, and Catacombs are actually pretty sweet in leveling pretty much anything. I never quite got 75 per enemy, but because of a "circle run" that you can do, the lower reputation was countered by the rate of killing.

Anyway, after a while I think I eventually switched back to Tormenta because as long as you're at or over level 21 grenades by level 26 notoriety, you could finish up grenades whenever you want, and the loot tends to be nicer at Tormenta.

I suggest that you put some skill points into demolitions because it makes your grenade area damage larger and it is just good to have so you can get more enemy's in your blast

Back