Suggestion Fishing Boat Mechanics

Hi,

I wanted to make a suggestion while on a fishing boat.

Say I'm on with a few buddies, one of them is able to be seen behind me while I haven't put my reel into the water just yet.

I'd really love to be able to see the person behind me, catch that fish he is bragging about, not only to verify he's not playin around, but just for added emersion!

@Captain Black can you think of a better way to describe my idea here? I think I got it right haha.

I understand what you're getting at here. It seems that animations like catching fish are client side only, meaning what's happening on your screen may not be appearing on others screens. I've experienced the same thing when looting with a crew, people using voodoo dolls and such seem to just stand around not doing anything, but really they're healing and/or attacking. Hopefully the devs take a look at this because it's the little details like this that make the game all the better.

I understand what you're getting at here. It seems that animations like catching fish are client side only, meaning what's happening on your screen may not be appearing on others screens. I've experienced the same thing when looting with a crew, people using voodoo dolls and such seem to just stand around not doing anything, but really they're healing and/or attacking. Hopefully the devs take a look at this because it's the little details like this that make the game all the better.
In POTCO, I'm pretty sure you were never able to see anyone else performing any actions, however, I'm also quite sure that you could see people perform actions with their dolls. That one would be a bug of some sort, I think, if you can't see anyone doing anything with the dolls.

In POTCO, I'm pretty sure you were never able to see anyone else performing any actions
Nothing to do with the fishing but... At one point you could see the other pirates on the other ships - In SvS this was great as you could actually grape shot the other crew and see the dizzy animation above their heads. When they removed this ability grape shot kind of became useless. I think they removed it because it also made it possible to click on pirates on other ships and pm them - ie troll them or fuss at them for sinking the ship you're training on and other such things.

Nothing to do with the fishing but... At one point you could see the other pirates on the other ships - In SvS this was great as you could actually grape shot the other crew and see the dizzy animation above their heads. When they removed this ability grape shot kind of became useless. I think they removed it because it also made it possible to click on pirates on other ships and pm them - ie troll them or fuss at them for sinking the ship you're training on and other such things.
I'd love to see this feature return. Mainly for High Seas conversations and further immersion into the game.

How about have it broadcast in chat for each fish you catch?

Bob caught a X
Jim caught a X
That would definitely be the best way to do it, in my opinion.

I only meant actions related to fishing. As for that feature, I think it was probably removed to help the server stability. The way it is now, players' ships are the only non NPC entities the server needs to worry about on the seas, but if you were to add the visibility of other pirates as well, it would likely be a significantly worse strain on the server. I'd love to see this brought back, but it probably won't happen.

How about have it broadcast in chat for each fish you catch?

Bob caught a X
Jim caught a X
This would be nice, but it would spam the chat, and it's really not all that necessary. I don't really feel the need to know that Seadog caught nineteen yellow tangs.

This would be nice, but it would spam the chat, and it's really not all that necessary. I don't really feel the need to know that Seadog caught nineteen yellow tangs.

Oh, now that's a good point :p haha, I guess it still stands that the visual immersion would be cool!

If it's just local chat then spam wouldn't matter.
And there could be a client option to disable it or only show for larger catches.

Back