Game keeps crashing.

eja8170

Pirate
Hey there, community members! I've been having issues with the game running and crashing every few minutes. I can load islands by teleporting, or go out to sea, but as soon as it loads the next area, it says "TLOPO.exe has stopped working". I have no idea how to fix it. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Question: Did you by chance upgrade to Windows 10 recently, after having an earlier Windows version (7/8.1) installed when you started playing TLOPO? I know of one case where a user upgraded to Windows 10 and started experiencing the same issue you are seeing; they downgraded back to the old Windows version and the problem went away!

Thanks! :)

I have Windows 10 and this happens to me some days as well. Other days I dont crash for hours at once. Usually i cant teleport to more than 2 islands at once without crashing.

I keep crashing while trying to load up catacombs. I have redirected all of my RAM to this game, i have over 4G in deicated RAM alone, and it is impossible for me to downgrade to Windows 7 or 8. I need help on getting in to do my staff quest, or maybe an admin tp in.

I'm running Windows 10 and I crash often. I'm not sure what reverting to Windows 7 would do, exactly, especially considering I've never played TLOPO on anything but Windows 10 or Mac OSX 11. But I think that overall, memory leaks are unsolvable at the moment and that depending on what you do, crashing every 10-20 minutes (or even more often) is just going to happen. That's how my experience has been - I crash every 5-25 minutes depending entirely, it seems, on how many times I switch areas and how much general activity is going on around me (for example, killing the veteran troop at Kingshead with 2-3 other people is sure to crash me in 10 minutes at the most).

As far as I can tell it has nothing to do with my computer specs, as my computer meets or surpasses all the system requirements and has 8 GB of RAM total with 90% of that being usable. Even if TLOPO is my only program running which it typically is, I'm certain to crash if I try to go in a building, come out of it, and then go to another populated island. In general, there are certain things you can do - or rather, not do - to extend the amount of time you go without crashing, and the biggest of those is to stay in one area.

There are a few things I've tried to reduce the frequency of memory leak related crashes, and none of them have been a night-and-day sort of solution. I experimented with a program called CleanMem which supposedly would help with memory leaks in general, though I've noticed no super significant difference in the frequency of my crashes while using it. As far as prioritizing TLOPO in the task manager, from what I heard that doesn't necessarily do a whole lot either.

Hopefully, as the game is optimized, memory leaks become less of a problem and crashing becomes less frequent. Until then, we just have to weather the storm. :)

Back