Getting my new PC!!!

Complextic

Swashbuckler
Hey guys I passed my math exam and made my first communion! My mother and I made a deal at the beginning of the school year that If I did well in school and everything I could have a new computer.

Specs:

GTX 980 (2)
16 Gig Ram
Intel® Core™ Processor i7-6700K 4.00GHZ 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 (Skylake)
120 MM Water Cooler
250 Gig SSD
2 TB Mechanical Secondary Drive
MSI Z170A Gaming Pro CARBON ATX w/ Programmable Lighting, USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 1 SATA Express, 4 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2 (Overclockable)
750 Watt Power Supply
Sound Card :)

You should've waited and got a 1080.

EDIT
SLI is usally not the best as more than 90% of games wont support it, and even in games that do, a single 1080 is still beter

That's awesome. I bet that Skylake processor will do you well in rendering videos, especially with hyperthreading. If I were you, I'd replace the 980 SLI config with one new 1080. There's a lot of new architecture improvements with the 1080 that you should take advantage of.

Nice rig! I would recommend keeping a weather eye on the internet horizon for giveaways on graphics cards, the one your getting is pretty nice but my friend and I entered competitions and giveaways for a while and after two month we had won ourselves some nice titan ones, which we downgraded a little bit so we could have extra cash for food XD #collegelife

Wait hold on... This is probably a stupid question but can you plug in two of the same graphics card and double the power?

Wait hold on... This is probably a stupid question but can you plug in two of the same graphics card and double the power?
Effectively, yes. Of course there are some complications along the way, such as game compatibility, but you do get approximately double the performance. Not always, though.

Both Nvidia and AMD have technologies that allow you to "strap" together two or more graphics cards to increase performance. Nvidia has SLI (which uses a bridge to connect all the cards together) and AMD has CrossFire (no bridge). There are other requirements as well, like which GPUs can be used together (Nvidia usually requires all the cards to be the same, but AMD can mix and match as long as the architecture is the same, I think).

This was sort of off topic, but I still maintain that a new 1080 would be a better use of money than SLI 980s.

Back