Idea Global chat

skolotun

Honorable Pirate
In most MMO's that I've played, there's a global chat that you can use to meet up with people for quests or events and such that aren't in your guild or nearby you. I think this would be particularly useful in TLOPO. A chat across all servers on all islands.

There should be a way to disable global chat because getting a constant flow of possibly irrelevant messages could get annoying.
yes that it true, and it would also drown out messages from guild or crew that may be more important. Maybe like a separate tab for global chat?

It would have to be limited because if it was a chat that spread across every server then it would constantly be spamming because people are always talking.

It would have to be limited to lets say everyone on the island your on across all servers or something but still that's a lot of spam.

In most MMO's that I've played, there's a global chat that you can use to meet up with people for quests or events and such that aren't in your guild or nearby you. I think this would be particularly useful in TLOPO. A chat across all servers on all islands.
I made a thread about something similar a while back (you can find it here). My idea was based on a server-wide chat however. Global chat overall I think would be too much with the way TLOPO works. I do think server wide would be nice for sure, but at the same time I can understand the opposing view of way too many comments filling up chat at once...
https://piratesforums.co/threads/server-wide-or-island-wide-chat-channel-possibility.18712/
Perhaps in the future? Who knows! :D

-T

It would have to be limited because if it was a chat that spread across every server then it would constantly be spamming because people are always talking.

It would have to be limited to lets say everyone on the island your on across all servers or something but still that's a lot of spam.
Agreed.
With TLOPO recently hitting 100,00 pirates, The chat would be spammed an absurd ammount.

When I worked there, we did have this idea pitched. There idea in theory is a great one, but there are a lot of issues that start to break down the feature and make the cons outweigh the pros.

Keep in mind that a global chat is an instant way to make your message heard on any online player's screen. That might be a few hundred or a several thousand of players. It has the potential for arguments to appear on a global scale, along with potentially offensive content being globally broadcasted to our players.

Now, all potential rule violations aside, there is still a technical reason why this feature might not work. When you all have a global chat, the way TLOPO's server technology works means that you need to request interest on that channel, and when there are hundreds or thousands of players requesting interest on that and subscribing to all of those updates (each chat message sent), it has the potential to severely lag out players. It's almost be like having an area the size of Tortuga's beach and cramming every online player in that spot. It can get really bad really fast.

There are tons of reasons why it might be a good feature, but what really held them up previously were the potential bad outcomes. Our mods were (and likely still are) incredibly busy, and now with an argument being added to a global channel, it can get really difficult to moderate and just be more unneeded work on them.

:2 cents:

When I worked there, we did have this idea pitched. There idea in theory is a great one, but there are a lot of issues that start to break down the feature and make the cons outweigh the pros.

Keep in mind that a global chat is an instant way to make your message heard on any online player's screen. That might be a few hundred or a several thousand of players. It has the potential for arguments to appear on a global scale, along with potentially offensive content being globally broadcasted to our players.

Now, all potential rule violations aside, there is still a technical reason why this feature might not work. When you all have a global chat, the way TLOPO's server technology works means that you need to request interest on that channel, and when there are hundreds or thousands of players requesting interest on that and subscribing to all of those updates (each chat message sent), it has the potential to severely lag out players. It's almost be like having an area the size of Tortuga's beach and cramming every online player in that spot. It can get really bad really fast.

There are tons of reasons why it might be a good feature, but what really held them up previously were the potential bad outcomes. Our mods were (and likely still are) incredibly busy, and now with an argument being added to a global channel, it can get really difficult to moderate and just be more unneeded work on them.

:2 cents:
After thinking it over, and reading Mikes post I'm going to have to say that this isn't such a good idea.

Global chat for each server would be pretty nice actually. Captains can yell out and recruit people for ship runs with a feature like this instead of hoping public access will grant them a full crew. Of course, there's always spam and such, but that can easily be fixed by simply adding a "chat cooldown" when things start getting hectic, like "wait 10 seconds before sending another message" and such.

Global chat for each server would be pretty nice actually. Captains can yell out and recruit people for ship runs with a feature like this instead of hoping public access will grant them a full crew. Of course, there's always spam and such, but that can easily be fixed by simply adding a "chat cooldown" when things start getting hectic, like "wait 10 seconds before sending another message" and such.
It's much more complex than that. TLOPO's blacklist is very comprehensive, but players can still find ways around it. They update it frequently to make it harder to break, but if people can break it there will always be the risk of chat abuse and/or harassment at a global scale.

It's much more complex than that. TLOPO's blacklist is very comprehensive, but players can still find ways around it. They update it frequently to make it harder to break, but if people can break it there will always be the risk of chat abuse and/or harassment at a global scale.
I understand but who is actually going to chat harass when there's a cooldown for an extensive period of time. I see how y'all are very cautious in what you implement in the game, looking at both positives and negatives, but in this scenario, I don't see how anyone would risk that because of the fact that it's on a global scale.

Back