Hacking, Cheating, Shenanagins

Rannulf

Wanted Pirate
I sit here writing this feeling badly. The recent epidemic of game hacking with the use of 3rd party software that occurred in June is back. Back with a new twist and a vengeance!

Disney banned numerous accounts as a result of the June instances. It calmed our Caribbean for only two short months. The attacks are now renewed. Pirates in PvP form are again attacking open public ships, mainly on Abassa in the early morning hours Eastern Standard Time, but now a new twist is being used.

They are sinking player pirate ships now. A hacker using 3rd party software to manipulate the game code to allow a player pirate ship on a plunder run to sink other player pirate ships as in SvS.

I witnessed this very early today. There is no defense for these attacks. You can not even run away since the "hacker" vessel strips the sails then sinks the ship with machine-gun speed rapid fire.

In my opinion the time has come for us the loyal players to make a stand against this. We all need to screen and report all uses of 3rd party software. We need to send feedback after feedback about this. This type of attack is not new to Disney games. Toontown fell victim to this not so long ago. I am not sure if it has been fixed there.

We also need as players to stop support for glitching. Tell your friends, guildmates stop it. Some pirates think these attacks are merely glitches, they are not, but viewed as such. So we need to condemn the use of and manipulation of the game. That is all we as players can do.

Sadly the ball is now squarely in Disney's court. They need to listen to us read our petition and do something about this.

My fear is that this will be the end of our game, if status quo is maintained.

I am unaware of Disney taking any harsh action against hackers because I have reported a few just in svs with speed cannons and broadsides but they have yet to do anything as this has been happening at least every other night in SvS for past few weeks.

I do strongly suggest that everyone reports them. If it gets enough reports, hopefully it will get fixed. Sadly, there are YouTube videos that instruct players how to do them and there will always be those kids that think they are on top of the world because they are hacking/cheating. Disney should look at these types of videos instead of ignoring them...

Some people just want to watch the world burn. People are starting to learn how easy hacking is or getting curious because theres so much talk of it.

We also need as players to stop support for glitching.

It's sad when people think glitching is bad. IT'S NOT. You know why? Most developers want players to glitch.

Why?

If people glitch, that means, it will come to attention, if it comes to attention, that means developers get to fix or polish the game to make it better.

If people don't glitch, problems are left, things don't get fixed. Yea, they might release new content faster, but that means more bugs and glitches.

Have you ever heard of POTCO developers saying glitching is bad? I haven't yet.

You should try developing a game, you want every single player to glitch.

It's sad when people think glitching is bad. IT'S NOT. You know why? Most developers want players to glitch.

Why?

If people glitch, that means, it will come to attention, if it comes to attention, that means developers get to fix or polish the game to make it better.

If people don't glitch, problems are left, things don't get fixed. Yea, they might release new content faster, but that means more bugs and glitches.

Yes, but the problem here is that Disney is either:

1.) Unaware that these people are glitching, and therefore cannot do anything to stop it in the sense that it doesn't exist.
2.) Aware, but cannot fix the problems presented to them.

It's good to glitch so the developers can fix the problems, but they seem to be doing a pretty lousy job at fixing said problems.

This type of behavior is saddening and also very obnoxious as it detriments the whole atmosphere of the game. I will never ever understand why people feel the need to cheat on a game that is so simple a child could play on it. Just for laughs or because you are seeking attention? Oh you'll get attention alright - in a negative way... I don't think you'll enjoy that very much. This is supposed to be a family-friendly game, but it's turning into the exact opposite.

I agree with you on some points here - we want the developers to know to what is wrong with the game. However, when people mass exploit these glitches to their own merriment, it creates a problem rather than helping out the devs.

I'll use a completely made-up, random example here:

Say you spilled milk on the floor - you could either mop it up (in the sense of fixing the problem) or pouring more on the floor purposely to make the spill larger (exploiting and making the problem worse). What most people are doing here, is spilling more milk which creates a larger problem. What we should be doing is finding out what is wrong, and then sending in a detailed bug report to Disney. Are we doing that? A good majority of us are, but the rest are having their own gratification making the game's atmosphere less enjoyable for us.

The more you exploit, the worse the problems become, thus making it harder for Disney to concentrate on pumping more content out. The incentive here is if we want more content, perhaps stop exploiting things so more problems do not arise.

Nobody will care if you find some stupid way of making your pirate 20 feet tall or rainbow colored, or whatever. Just because you can modify game coding in some eccentric way doesn't mean you are "all that". It doesn't just put yourself at risk of Disney's TOS, it also makes you look like a fool.

Disney could easily prevent this behavior by adding some sort of firewall to their programming infrastructure to block all foreign elements of coding. Many popular MMOs do have a cheat blocker like this so problems such as these do not arise. Sadly, however, hacking and cheating is a very bad influence throughout Disney games - an example of that is Toontown.

Hopefully Disney will intervene sometime here down the road, and put a stop to all of this. As a player from 2008, I am gravely disappointed as to how the community's maturity and playerbase have taken a nosedive.

There's a name for those who exploit the game in order to ruin it for others: cyberbullies.

I imagine they are not much different than other bullies. Research indicates they are typically from broken homes and have very low self esteem. They make others miserable because somehow it makes them feel powerful when the reality is they have little or no control over their own lives.

Those who feel good about themselves and their own lives do not feel a need to put others down or ruin the fun of others.

Why?

it says in disney terms of service that glitching is bad

Wow, first the pvp glitching, then attacking on public ships, and now this?

There is really no way to stop it... is there? With the attacking you can limit it to only guild, crew, and friends. But I can't think how to avoid this

it says in disney terms of service that glitching is bad

Nowhere in the ToS does it say glitching is bad, read it again.
There's a name for those who exploit the game in order to ruin it for others: cyberbullies.

I imagine they are not much different than other bullies. Research indicates they are typically from broken homes and have very low self esteem. They make others miserable because somehow it makes them feel powerful when the reality is they have little or no control over their own lives.

Those who feel good about themselves and their own lives do not feel a need to put others down or ruin the fun of others.

So if I killed people on the ship glitch, would I be a cyber bully?

I don't think so. If anything, there very very very minor bullies.

REAL Cyberbullies do legitimate stuff. They put others down. They say horrific things.

All the so-called bullies in my school, are very rich. They have great lives. Some might be from broken homes. I see a lot more rich bullies.

Last edited by a moderator:

You are correct. But most good pirates consider glitching a form of cheating. And the Pirate Code of Conduct does state No Cheating.

And I must agree with the good pirates here. Tis truly a shame that this type of action has returned, with vengeance.

As has been stated, we pirates, that love this game, must do all within our power to report these actions to Disney. Disney must find a way to put an end to this hacking and show no mercy to these scoundrels

REAL Cyberbullies do legitimate stuff. They put others down. They say horrific things.

All the so-called bullies in my school, are very rich. They have great lives. Some might be from broken homes. I see a lot more rich bullies.
Would you be mad if you were trading bounties, got it up to 10K and then got it stolen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, bad or good players, we really can't say that we're the good ones; but, since Disney seems too busy counting their money, I guess it's up to us players to fix this mess. Honestly, you've got employees. Send them to watch the players instead of for just events. I don't see much random GM encounters anymore. Do they really expect us to just keep paying for a game that's vulnerable to hacking and glitches? (Well, really, I can't say that, because my father pays for the game, lol) But, seriously, Disney, it's YOUR game, YOUR responsibility, and YOUR job to give the players the protection and satisfaction they deserve. They're paying you for a reason.

No one should be shunned in any way. (Lol, it's a funny word, though.) By shunning, you're basically saying glitchers aren't welcome on this forum when there are some glitchers that are nice. (I don't glitch, though.) Everyone's a person. :angel:
Thanks, Gastro ^^.

Basically, it's like this. I like to PvP. I shouldn't be shunned for that. LEO, you like to privateer. You shouldn't be shunned for that. John Foulroberts, you like to loot and lead. You shouldn't be shunned for that. corey, do you see?

What ye would be was a user of 3rd party software that clearly is a violation of Disney's Terms of Service!

The PvP attacks on ships, and the attack by a player ship on a plunder run, by another player ship on a plunder run is NOT a glitch! It is only possible by manipulating the game code itself via 3rd party software or manually changing the code!

I hope that is cleared up.

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion. All I am saying is stop with the shenanigans! If the game as intended by the developers is no longer fun for ye, find a new game. Just stop ruining this game for those of us that enjoy the game as intended!

Now as to glitching, if ye are not reporting it when ye find said glitch in a bug report then ye are exploiting the game. If ye are making videos on how to exploit the game that is even worse. All I am asking is stop it.

Just stop it.

I pay good money for myself and family to play this game. We follow the rules. We report bugs. We do not exploit the game. We support players who feel the same way.

As to Disney's part in this, there is a petition out to let them know. Only time will tell if it has an effect.

In the meantime if ye cheat, please stop, if ye glitch please stop. Simple request.

Why?

You are correct by saying that POTCO needs to know about these glitches. Finding a glitch is also good because then one can alert POTCO so they can try to fix it. The fault in your statement is where you say the Devs want us to glitch. No- they want us to tell them when we find one. People that glitch usually (not all) do not have good intentions. I have never heard of a 'glitcher' who gladly searches for glitches just to report them to POTCO staff. Instead, they do it for pleasure and enjoyment. There is a difference between trying to help fix the glitches and purposefully glitching (especially in large crowds) to seek attention or 'cyber fame'. And I agree with Rannulf- many of us pay to play- we shouldn't have to be handing out disciplinary lessons to people who can't follow simple rules and are, in fact, creating more problems for the game instead of helping it. Glitching is one thing, but using this 3rd party software to destroy what someone else was trying to do is beyond crossing the line.

Back