Weapons Hollow Woods [Weapon's Pros & Cons]

Charles Warmonk

Wiki Staff
I have been getting a lot of questions about theses weapons so I wanted to quickly make this guide in order to explain to players the Pros & Cons of each new weapon vs older [Comparable] versions of them.

First I want to start off with the staff comparisons since they are the most numerous and questioned.
latest
The Staff of Lava is a VERY powerful staff, it was previously the uncontested best staff in the game due to being the only staff with +3 Flaming Skull. However, it's Dark Aura skill is very underrated among the community. [I imagine this is due to players not knowing it increases the damage of all pirates within it to be boosted by a astounding 10%.]

latest

On the other hand, we have the new Corpse Staff which has the same boost of Flaming Skill, 6 more attack, [Translating to 6% more damage] and the Spirit Mastery Boost +2.
As you can see here, the difference between the Spirit mastery Boost is what really makes Corpse staff the BETTER solo staff option.​

Then we have the 3rd staff was suppose to be for leveling. However...
latest
The staff itself is not very powerful and has a +2 Spirit Lore Boost [That only increase casting time by 4%]
The staff would be a good for farming places such as Kingshead and leveling, if it didn't require level 27.
The Nature Aura is basally useless... Only healing players 30+ every 5 seconds.
The Conclusion of the New Staffs:
Lava Staff is better if you're looting with a group of players [At a boss]
Corpse Staff is better if you're looting solo such as at Tormenta Bridge.
Navigator's Staff needs to be consider lowering it's level requirement or buffing its Spirit Lore boost.

Onto the new Magma Blunderbuss
latest
The new blunderbuss is NOT better than Grand Blunderbuss for Tormenta enemies. It was created with the design of being a middle choice between Fullmoon Blunderbuss [That it is modeled after] & Grand Blunderbuss I am assuming.

Fullmoon is not as powerful as grand, it [was] the 2nd strongest blunderbuss in the game.
As you can see below, here is the data for the boost that all of them get.
latest

latest

176-350
latest

latest

278-555
latest

latest

254-507
However, the comparisons above were JUST for Bane shot, Steel & Silver Shot make the Bane Shot boost negotiable.

In conclusion for the new blunderbuss
Grand Blunderbuss
is still king.
Magma Blunderbuss is a Grand Blunderbuss fill in [If you don't have it.]
Fullmoon Blunderbuss is now the 3rd best Blunderbuss and not the 2nd.

I hope this answers everyone's questions about the new weapons! <3

Last edited:
I have been getting a lot of questions about theses weapons so I wanted to quickly make this guide in order to explain to players the Pros & Cons of each new weapon vs older [Comparable] versions of them.

First I want to start off with the staff comparisons since they are the most numerous and questioned.
latest
The Staff of Lava is a VERY powerful staff, it was previously the uncontested best staff in the game due to being the only staff with +3 Flaming Skull. However, it's Dark Aura skill is very underrated among the community. [I imagine this is due to players not knowing it increases the damage of all pirates within it to be boosted by a astounding 10%.]

latest

On the other hand, we have the new Corpse Staff which has the same boost of Flaming Skill, 6 more attack, [Translating to 6% more damage] and the Spirit Mastery Boost +2.
As you can see here, the difference between the Spirit mastery Boost is what really makes Corpse staff the BETTER solo staff option.​

Then we have the 3rd staff that is great for LEVELING only.
latest
The staff itself is not very powerful and has a +2 Spirit Lore Boost [That only increase casting time by 4%]
The staff would be a good for farming places such as Kingshead and leveling, if it didn't require level 27.
Navigator's Staff needs to be consider lowering it's level requirement or buffing its Spirit Lore boost.

latest
The new blunderbuss is NOT better than Grand Blunderbuss for Tormenta enemies. It was created with the design of being a middle choice between Fullmoon Blunderbuss [That it is modeled after] & Grand Blunderbuss I am assuming.

Fullmoon is not as powerful as grand, it [was] the 2nd strongest blunderbuss in the game.
latest

latest

176-350
latest

latest

278-555
latest

latest

254-507
However, the comparisons above were JUST for Bane shot, Steel & Silver Shot make the Bane Shot boost negotiable.

Grand Blunderbuss
is still king.

:dork:

latest

latest

Then we have the 3rd staff was suppose to be for leveling. However...
latest

latest

latest

latest

176-350
latest

latest

278-555
latest

latest

254-507

Grand Blunderbuss
is still king.

Great guide info wise. Sorry to bother you, but the corpse doesn't seem to be in the wiki, so how does one go about obtaining this staff? Is it a quest or purchase from the hallowed gypsy? And does it have a shorter cast time compared to lava?
Thanks.

I applaud this guide honestly. So many people are going around blindly saying "lava staff is trash compared to the new one," whereas in reality it is almost definitely better for boss farming given groups and group size, and for most other methods of looting most people will go the sword, grenade or gun route. Very concise and very well done :)

Part of the community will be mad at you if you use Dark Aura in a large group though for lag. I see it about half the time I see someone using that or like abilities, when it used to be just wither or desolation that people didn't like. It's not like a large group needs to slaughter a boss even quicker most of the time anyways and at a certain threshold it seems to be more about not lagging out. Not saying agree or disagree with complaints but it's something to consider before using Dark Aura in a group, and I also think it doesn't stack so if two people use staff at say Palifico in a group perhaps it's ideal to have one Lava and one Corpse.

On the staff comparative analysis, how does Nature staff line up against Lava and Corpse if you just want to stand in the middle of the gold room using Wither? Is that a scenario where it out preforms Lava and Corpse?

Part of the community will be mad at you if you use Dark Aura in a large group though for lag. I see it about half the time I see someone using that or like abilities, when it used to be just wither or desolation that people didn't like. It's not like a large group needs to slaughter a boss even quicker most of the time anyways and at a certain threshold it seems to be more about not lagging out. Not saying agree or disagree with complaints but it's something to consider before using Dark Aura in a group, and I also think it doesn't stack so if two people use staff at say Palifico in a group perhaps it's ideal to have one Lava and one Corpse.

On the staff comparative analysis, how does Nature staff line up against Lava and Corpse if you just want to stand in the middle of the gold room using Wither? Is that a scenario where it out preforms Lava and Corpse?
I suppose it depends on your computer but I use a pretty crummy laptop, and I have to say, dark aura barely decreases me by 2 fps, desolation and wither are *way* more visually impactful and do handicap fps to a much worse degree. Never really seen anyone complain about dark aura fps but... I could be wrong

Don't forget the Staff of Water! Or is that what you meant by only looking at "older comparable" versions?
I didn't bring up staff of water because.... well... It isn't worth mentioning in all honestly.
latest

-The attack is 30 [Not impressive]

-Warding Aura is useless since pirates are already over-powered. [See my older post]

-and Banish boost even at rank 8 does too little damage, and has to long of a casting time. [Not to mention it is one of the only single target spells... on a weapon that is suppose to be focused around AOE]

Great guide info wise. Sorry to bother you, but the corpse doesn't seem to be in the wiki, so how does one go about obtaining this staff? Is it a quest or purchase from the hallowed gypsy? And does it have a shorter cast time compared to lava?
Thanks.
Thank you for your feedback. Also, the wiki will be updated normally a week upon the time of release. [We like to give the developers time to adjust anything before we go rushing to post it on the wiki. My apologizes.]
The weapon can be traded for haunted bones within the voodoo cart located in Hollowed Woods.

I applaud this guide honestly. So many people are going around blindly saying "lava staff is trash compared to the new one," whereas in reality it is almost definitely better for boss farming given groups and group size, and for most other methods of looting most people will go the sword, grenade or gun route. Very concise and very well done :)
[Looks at the word Method.... REE!!!] .... jk

Yeah, I created the guide due to the massive demand for information and input regarding how they measure up the old weapons. The developers are doing a great job at balancing theses future weapons and I believe comments/threads like this one. It really help them get a feel for the community's input. <3

I can't wait to see what they have in store for Isla Escondeda <3

I mean, you do get 50 more damage per hit, plus the 4% faster casting time...

However, I much rather just use wither ONCE then as they all come to attack you, have a flaming skull charged [Since it does it behind you a fair bit if they are close enough.]

The only time wither is useful is leveling... and since the staff is only usable at level 27. It is why I want the developers to consider lowering it's level requirement.

I usually stand in the middle and wither (Mollusks dont charge you) with my wife you does the same and sometimes a guildmate or friend running around with a broadsword so we can share the gold room (instead of camp one person with siege grenade). Pretty fringe case but maybe a reason for that staff over the others, but to be honest Corpse Staff wins for me based off appearance I wouldn't care if it was otherwise strictly worse lol.

I'm really struggling to decide between the Corpse Staff and Lava Staff. Is the damage difference really that noticeable on both of them compared to say, the Burnt Staff? Does one achieve any milestones, like key 1 or 2 hit KOs that the other cannot?

I'm also trying to decide if the voodoo dolls are worth it. I saw no mention of those. But if it helps I already have a Banshee Doll.

Mathematically speaking, the flaming pumpkin staff is not as strong as the stats suggest. A 3 point boost on flaming pumpkin skull means a 60% increase in devastating fire, in theory.
The staff delivers no where near that amount of boost, based on damage stats in-game (those arbitrary, random red numbers).
The staff has an actual boost of about 15% in real play.
I base that on how many flame blasts it takes to reduce an enemy to ashes, with a fully maxed staff with full flame and full damage points.
I tested this several ways, basing my analysis on level 50 Thrall Captains and against Jimmy Legs. I used the upgraded Harrow Staff, the Cursed staff and the flaming Pumpkin staff. There is only a max increase in damage of 15% from the Cursed staff to the Flaming Pumpkin staff, over the course of nearly 100 successive attacks on the aforementioned foe above.
Also note that taking the Mystic Mixture Voodoo potion of any level (1, 2 or 3) has little to no effect on those damage points.
I would tend to think that since staff has been severely nerfed at the core damage calculus, that the increase in power cannot possibly be any higher, since damage appears to actually be capped, regardless of what staff is used.
However, it should be noted that using the flaming Pumpkin staff is quite fun, because of the flaming pumpkin effect and is still quite enjoyable, but it's not really a boost in any significant way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematically speaking, the flaming pumpkin staff is not as strong as the stats suggest. A 3 point boost on flaming pumpkin skull means a 60% increase in devastating fire, in theory.
The staff delivers no where near that amount of boost, based on damage stats in-game (those arbitrary, random red numbers).
The staff has an actual boost of about 15% in real play.
I base that on how many flame blasts it takes to reduce an enemy to ashes, with a fully maxed staff with full flame and full damage points.
I tested this several ways, basing my analysis on level 50 Thrall Captains and against Jimmy Legs. I used the upgraded Harrow Staff, the Cursed staff and the flaming Pumpkin staff. There is only a max increase in damage of 15% from the Cursed staff to the Flaming Pumpkin staff, over the course of nearly 100 successive attacks on the aforementioned foe above.
Also note that taking the Mystic Mixture Voodoo potion of any level (1, 2 or 3) has little to no effect on those damage points.
I would tend to think that since staff has been severely nerfed at the core damage calculus, that the increase in power cannot possibly be any higher, since damage appears to actually be capped, regardless of what staff is used.
However, it should be noted that using the flaming Pumpkin staff is quite fun, because of the flaming pumpkin effect and is still quite enjoyable, but it's not really a boost in any significant way.
I think you are right, in potco I had that attack 29 staff with no flaming skull boost and often used it at South Idol, it did pretty much identical damage in terms of defeating those South Idol ghosts as both the Lava and Corpse which leads me to suspect that the + 3 boost does not work. This also leads me to think that the boosts will eventually be fixed and then those staves with the boost will be as their stats suggest. At this point they simply do not perform.

I think you are right, in potco I had that attack 29 staff with no flaming skull boost and often used it at South Idol, it did pretty much identical damage in terms of defeating those South Idol ghosts as both the Lava and Corpse which leads me to suspect that the + 3 boost does not work. This also leads me to think that the boosts will eventually be fixed and then those staves with the boost will be as their stats suggest. At this point they simply do not perform.

Yah, I think it might come down to diminishing returns. I decided to go ahead and get the lava staff, which seems to be a little bit better at scoring two hit KOs in Tormenta than my old burnt staff (from what you're saying, the corpse staff would scarcely score them better). It also comes with the dark aura, which is unquestionably useful. I also reasoned that if I really needed a powerful AoE weapon, I'd just use siege grenades. But siege grenades cannot provide raid/team support.

Also I think the lava staff looks much cooler, but that's just a personal preference. Y'all enjoy your chiropractor's nightmares staff. :razz:

Still no word on the dolls, huh?

I have a fullmoon blunderbuss and pistol and a divine musket, so I'm gonna skip on the magma staff. It's splitting hairs at this point, unless anyone wants to argue with me on that.

Back