Question How do you get good loot at sea now?

Luna Storm

Forum Mod
Hi all! Im loving the hunter addition to the game and having fun with it. But i need money so I can get a big ship and used to go out on sea sinking ships till my cargo was full of only chests but now I get a full cargo of puoches and crates then I'm constantly harassed by hunters and warships that only give mats. Maybe they should come for you only once you have a few royal chests or something?

So any hints on how I can make money? Or is poker now my only chance?

Yeah you are right there Linerax. I'm realm struggling to get gold. I need 10k more to get war ship and though I'm getting mats fine I need the gold to get ship and upgrades. I've been getting an average of 80gold from my trips to sea..at tho rate it will take me a week or 2 to make enough gold..I shudder to think how new players/characters are going to make any.

There is a boring way to get gold at a reasonable rate: fishing with master rod. Each large fish nets 80+ gold and bonus if they carry Rare+ quality loot to sell. I achieved 10 000 gold in an hour of fishing earlier today.

Also, I max out Treasure Sense for sailing. 25% higher chance of getting quality ship plunder.

Blackjack always works well for me. I always bet the max and then use cheat cards and I can almost always win. You can get at least 500 gold per game (I think, haven't checked in a while). Plus, it's less boring than fishing

You pretty much need a gunnery crew to make serious bank on the high seas, take one or two friends rather than a free for all crew (You'll crash less, and should be able to co-ordinate relogging so that no-one loses out) and fill your hold from the highest level targets you can take down quickly. Should net you thousands of gold rather than hundreds, plus the occasional rare inventory item.

That's what I used to do but now when I have full cargo (usually crates and maybe a chest) I have hunters and warships on me..constantly. So my cargo is replaced with mats and not better loot

Yeah, if you're focused on gold you need to dock and reset as soon as that starts happening. Ideally, just before the ports start being locked down. A cargo upgrade would increase your income, but it's probably counterproductive while you're saving for a warship. On the plus side, the warship will pay for itself very quickly in comparison. It's an investment.

Note that while it feels good to port with a hold full of chests, you do throw away some money by looting with full cargo, on top of which shorter runs have a better chance of porting without crashes.
Maybe try to get into some PvP poker evenings! :cheers::rumgone:

Last edited:
I've been crewing aboard war ships open to the public. Sailed this weekend with several very good captains and was averaging about 1300 gold per trip. I lost about 4 cargoes from crashing when we ported, but it's still a pretty sweet way to make bank. Man the cannons for someone and repair when they're between ships.

Sailing loot should be buffed quite significantly. Like war class enemies should give royals at least most of the time, and bounty hounters could sometimes give them along with materials. Now a ship run gives like 800-1400 gold. Better reward from a good ol' gold run should be more like 5000 - 10,000. (My opinion)

Sailing loot should be buffed quite significantly. Like war class enemies should give royals at least most of the time, and bounty hounters could sometimes give them along with materials. Now a ship run gives like 800-1400 gold. Better reward from a good ol' gold run should be more like 5000 - 10,000. (My opinion)
That sounds a little inflationary. It would make skill retraining cheap enough to do it on a whim, and the value of famed weapon drops disappointingly insignificant.

That's what I used to do but now when I have full cargo (usually crates and maybe a chest) I have hunters and warships on me..constantly. So my cargo is replaced with mats and not better loot
First thing to check is the type of ships you're fighting. You should probably make it so you're only sinking warships such as Dreadnoughts, Ogres, Predators, etc. Those will give you the best loot. You can also try some upper level flagships like the Colossus, as they generally have good drops. The next thing is that you don't necessarily need to dock as soon as your cargo is full. When your cargo is full, you can still collect more. Doing this only improves the quality of your loot by getting rid of the bad stuff (cargo crates) in exchange for good stuff. If you just keep getting hunters after you extremely quickly, the best options would be to either sink them or just ignore them as best as possible. You could dock, but it's probable that a good chunk of your haul will be cargo crates. Also, make sure that whatever ship you're using has a good amount of cargo space - which means maybe you should use a galleon if available. And one of the best things to do is just monitor your cargo load. Keep checking on what cargo is in your hold every now and then, and try not to dock until there aren't many cargo crates left.

But really, my recommendation is just that you go sailing on a public ship. It can be irritating at times, but you'll probably end up getting loot at least 50% of the time, and the hauls on a good public ship plundering run usually include gold in the hundreds or thousands.

Thank you for the advice :) I have gone for the big ships and usually get crates or treasure chests. It's odd cause I spent almost 2 hours with a friend at darheart and we were only getting about 30 gold and crude to common loot..this has been the case for both of us all the time (now lvl 28 &30) once in a while get a rare if were lucky. Yet a lvl 18 will join and on his first kill gets a rare or bright! Lol

That sounds a little inflationary. It would make skill retraining cheap enough to do it on a whim, and the value of famed weapon drops disappointingly insignificant.

My memory about POTCO isn't exactly reliable after 4 years, but didn't POTCO gold runs give something like that?

(5000-10,000)

Last edited:
The next thing is that you don't necessarily need to dock as soon as your cargo is full. When your cargo is full, you can still collect more. Doing this only improves the quality of your loot by getting rid of the bad stuff (cargo crates) in exchange for good stuff.
Looting on a full hold does reduce your gold income over time, though. However little you get from crates, trashing them wastes part of the voyage without affecting the number of treasure chests per hour. Longer voyages also come with an increased chance of crashing, which can leave you with nothing but notoriety for your efforts.

Last edited:
Back