Question How do you get good loot at sea now?

Easiest way is to play poker in Ratskeller on Padres but if you don't know how to play poker, blackjack is much easier to learn. Even if you don't know how to play blackjack just max bet and if you have a combined number of <= 13 just hit

Easiest way is to play poker in Ratskeller on Padres but if you don't know how to play poker, blackjack is much easier to learn. Even if you don't know how to play blackjack just max bet and if you have a combined number of <= 13 just hit
Poker's been toned down a bit, the AI doesn't bet 100k on two pairs any more. Blackjack's the simple option for converting cheat cards into gold at a steady rate.

Hi all! Im loving the hunter addition to the game and having fun with it. But i need money so I can get a big ship and used to go out on sea sinking ships till my cargo was full of only chests but now I get a full cargo of puoches and crates then I'm constantly harassed by hunters and warships that only give mats. Maybe they should come for you only once you have a few royal chests or something?

So any hints on how I can make money? Or is poker now my only chance?
fishing sharks can bring in a great deal of money
everyone seems to claim fishing at Padres will bring in the best loot as well

I haven't had much luck on public ships between crashing and not being able to persuade the captain to dock before my playtime ends. In fact, I don't think I have ever gotten anything more than cannon skill level on them. But perhaps your mileage will vary.

With that said, I do most of my gold accumulation solo, and I have better luck gold wise grinding weapon skill levels on land enemies. Trying to do it with sailing is hit and miss, and has been a rather disappointing waste of time more often than not. It's true that grinding on land enemies not much gold is gotten per drop. But in addition to what gold is dropped during the session, I get an average of 350 gold from selling everything that dropped on the grind. And for me, it seems that I accumulate gold faster that way than any other way. I am currently level 14 sailing, and I will probably have enough for a war brig by the time I am able to buy one, plus I will have all my weapons skills at level 15 or higher.

True. People overlook weapon training because it's a non-dramatic trickle of money, but it's the least strain on the beta client, the least affected by crashes, and the one that gets you the most cool new toys and hats. I docked at a wild island yesterday after twenty minutes looting ships, shot a nearby monster because why not, and it dropped a chest with a sword worth twice my entire cargo haul.

Hi Luna!

I have found the same thing, and I have to add my voice to those who are talking about fishing. Yes there are drawbacks, like you won't be skilling up the skills you want to, like sailing or cannon, and unless you really enjoy the fishing mini game, it could be kind of boring. It's certainly not as cool as cutlass fights or sinking ships.

But it is easy and safe, levels up quickly if you're good at it. and can be done at all major ports I believe.

And once you gain some levels and figure out which fish pay the best, you will make thousands of gold every hour in fish, plus selling off the trash loot you occasionally get. For raw moneymaking it is easy and reliable. Personally I find it fun. Quicker and cheaper than therapy. :)

Good luck!

I have gotten chests ontop of ship materials from hunters and warships. It does happen, it's just not guarenteed.

It is more than worth it to invest the time it takes to max fishing, and the gold it takes to use fishing boats. It takes 1000 gold to launch a fishing boat, and if you only go for sharks I've found that you can get 280 gold per shark (for the big ones, at least). In addition, you have a great chance at getting rares to sell, and getting famed weapons to use / sell. I got 3 famed and 20000 gold fishing yesterday from only a few hours of fishing.

Just get aces. Then go to Ratskellar blackjack table, use cheat cards to get 20's 21's and blackjacks repeatedly, but each time you cheat a card, whether you lose or win, you have to get up from the table and walk out the door then back inside, resets your suspicion level to 0, and resets the gold you lose when caught to 0 each time too

Better alternative is to start fishing right when you first make your character, go to abassa, grind it to level 15, get on a fishing boat public one, just grind away at the Red and Green fish that gives 50 rep, then grind at the Barracuda for Master Rod, then grind Great Whites for best gold and best loot in game (if thats not too boring for you)

this and black jack are the main gold makers I believe.

Hi all! Im loving the hunter addition to the game and having fun with it. But i need money so I can get a big ship and used to go out on sea sinking ships till my cargo was full of only chests but now I get a full cargo of puoches and crates then I'm constantly harassed by hunters and warships that only give mats. Maybe they should come for you only once you have a few royal chests or something?

At this point you still get gold and loot items galore even when your ship has nothing but mat chests in the hold.

At this point you still get gold and loot items galore even when your ship has nothing but mat chests in the hold.
This is odd, isn't it? AFAICT the size of your ship's hold currently has no bearing on loot hauls from voyages, it only affects how long it takes to attract bounty hunters. Seems like a smaller hold is both cheaper and more convenient for now.

Mind if I chime in?? All I do in TLOPO is sail, for gold, materials, and rep, all depending on my needs. Everyone here raises great points. One thing I noticed, that I wanted to correct, loot that is "replaced" or "dumped" stays in the hold, and is banked upon docking. I'm on my cell phone right now, but I'll attach a screenshot to this post later, I ported one evening with 123 cargo crates, 7 royals, and 2 chests, netting me just over 9200 gold. Here's a few tips to get gold!

• Turn all of your audio OFF. The game has a memory leak, caused by audio. Turning it off rids the frequent crashing at sea. I did two material runs last night, back to back, that lasted an hour and a half each, and didn't crash once.
  • If you crash when you port, don't worry! All the gold is still banked to your pirate (materials act the same way). The only thing you may miss out on is loot in containers (pouches, chests, loot skulls).
  • Whenever you loot a pouch/chest/etc, always take all, even if you don't want some of it. Selling it for the gold is always useful. Sure, it's a couple gold here and there, but trust me, it starts to add up!
  • When sailing, focus on undead ships. Although this is currently not 100% functional, in POTCO they never net you a bounty. Currently, you can sink them without receiving a bounty, only until your hold is full. Then you'll go from no bounty, to rank 2. Hopefully this is fixed in the future.
  • Loot a few bosses. Not only does it level you up, but they tend to drop lots of loot, and gold!
  • Cheat at cards, we all do it. Just make sure, if you cheat, when the hand is finished, leave the table, and sit back down, so you aren't caught!
Hopefully this is useful information! You're always welcome to come aboard my ship, and join in on the plundering! Gold ends up coming easy if you do those things, before I knew it, I had 70k lol. Hope this helped! :)

Last edited:
Back