Tip How I helped combat frequent freezes and crashes

Santa Claus

Swashbuckler
Thanks to a lot of people helping out on the forums, I devised a total list of things to do to help combat frequent crashes, freezes, and overall performance issues. This being said, I would like to say that I have a decent computer (About $1,000 dumped into it). Just because you have a beefy computer, doesn't mean that you're going to run this game well. It's in beta after all.

First and foremost, I would like to say that it's important to understand that these methods aren't fool proof, and you WILL crash every now and again. Being a beta tester is about more than just playing the game. While having fun with it is a very important aspect to being a tester, don't forget that the game isn't complete and you're going to have to work around the bugs and issues in the game. If you encounter any crashes, bugs, glitches, or spaghetti moments make sure you post them onto the MEGATHREAD in the glitches and bugs section on the forum.

Display Settings

Make sure you turn everything to the lowest possible settings!

Also, make sure you have your game in Windowed Mode!

Even if you're running a super beefy amazing mega ultra piratopolous computer, you need to do this! I have an idea as to why this can cause crashes, but i'm not 100% sure. My idea comes from me perusing the logs, and noticing that upon loading a new area, textures would be missing, followed by a message stating that there was a memory leak. They may be related, they may not be, i'm not going to pretend I know!

Audio Settings

Make sure you turn ALL audio off!

This helped me out a ton. Once again, through my diligence and overachieving-ness I decided to take to the logs and check some things out. I noticed that (one again) upon loading in to a new area, some audio files showed up as missing or that they failed to load. Once again this was followed by a message stating that there was a memory leak.

Shader Level 6

Turn it off!

Make sure you un-check this box. I'm not really sure what this does exactly, but I do know that turning it off totally helped not only my game performance, but also helped reduce my crashes.

System Priority Settings

This one is optional, but if you're having memory leaks it will really help. I won't steal the thunder from the pinned forum post, as he did a wonderful job explaining how to do this. If you have crashes, it may be worth checking out.

This is everything that I did to help my crashes. If there is anything new to add, please feel free to let me know with a reply!

Fancy Loading Screen

You know the drill by now, disable that bad boy!

Doing this helped my loading screen crashes a ton, and really cut back on the amount of loot that I had lost after pillaging the navy ships on the high seas!

See you on the sea me hearties!

~Santa Claus

Last edited:
Yeah, doing this has helped a lot for me as well. Thanks for the help with this!

Thanks! - Spider

Also being in windowed might just be the most important of them all. Easier to use and reduces lag and crashing exponentially for me.

Thanks! - Spider

custom setting with everything on on low and fancy loading turned on works well for me try it out

Back