How Many People Play POTCO? Answered!

DatgdMadooko

Pirate Apprentice
So, how many people do you think are active in Pirates Online?
1,000?
10,000?
1,000,000?

Well, I'm going to do my best to try to answer this question for you. Let me explain my strategy before showing you the numbers.

A few notes before we begin:
1. When a pirate only sinks ships and does not defeat any enemies, the amount of ships sunk will appear in both the "Ships Sunk" category as well as "Enemies Defeated" category in the leaderboards.
2. On the leaderboards: if you tie with someone, you will be able to see all of the pages of people that have tied with you.

So here's the strategy:
Everyday on one of my pirates, I will kill just one enemy per day for the month of August. I will then go to the leaderboards to see how many people defeated enemies that day. If I rank in 5000th place, tied with 17 pages of people, plus a few on the 18th page, I will add the number of people on the 18th page to 170 (there are 10 people per page on the leaderboards). Let's say that there are 5 people on the 18th page, so the total will be 175. Now I have to add 175 to 5000 to get 5175. So that means for that day, 5175 pirates were active… sort of.

These results, of course, don't include any pirates that didn't defeat any enemies that day. Roleplayers can be a good example of this. However, there are also people that log on to more than one pirate and defeat enemies. So with all of that in mind, the results are probably going to be off the bull's eye by no more than 100 people going either way.

I will then proceed to document the amount of players that defeated enemies in Excel and create graphs with minimums, maximums, medians, means and overall percent of change from the start of the week to the end of the week.

That's pretty much my entire strategy. However, I will probably continue to do this after the month ends.
Here's the first week of August:
PiratesPopweek1.jpg

I’m not the best with Excel, but I’m still learning. Also, the little bars sticking out of the lines are error bars. I've set them to plus or minus 100. I’ll try to find out how to put the maximum and minimum in the graph, but for now I’ll just tell you here:

• The minimum number of pirates that played this week was 5144 (Wednesday).
  • The maximum number of pirates that played this week was 5379 (Friday).
  • The average number of pirates that played this week was about 5251.

Definitely more to come next week!

Best wishes~ Datgd

Using that information you should attempt to determine the ratio of Unlimited Access to Basic Access players and calculate how much Disney is making off of the game in a month.

Thanks for all your work on this!

:cheers:
Thank you very much :)

Thats very smart, must have taken a ton of time.

Thank you! It just took a lot of patience, really. (and remembering to do it everyday)

This type of information could prove invaluable to Revive POTCO's success if such information was presented to either Disney or DIMG decision-makers.

*Great job researching in the way that you had and a "great" topic of discussion, mate. :)

Thank you very much, sir. I didn't even realize Revive POTCO could use information like this, all I was trying to do was let people know how many people play. :p

Wow, that is great to know. Thanks for figuring that out, well done! Now it's even more impressive that Revive Potco got over 3,000 signatures when on average about 5,000 people are playing the game each day. Why couldn't Disney acknowledge that so many players took the time to sign that petition and give us some kind of response to it??

Wow, that is great to know. Thanks for figuring that out, well done! Now it's even more impressive that Revive Potco got over 3,000 signatures when on average about 5,000 people are playing the game each day. Why couldn't Disney acknowledge that so many players took the time to sign that petition and give us some kind of response to it??

Thanks, and great point. I think they wouldn't acknowledge us because it really comes down to caring. The sad thing is that they just don't care anymore. I hope they start to care soon, though.

support@disneyonline.com

Try sending emails to the above email address and let them know what updates you would like added to the game, I even mentioned the revive potco site to show that over 3,000 people cared enough to put their name on the petition. Just remember to be friendly and give good ideas that would add more fun to the game (to be honest, asking for the old body types in my opinion is not going to make the game more fun), ask for more new content, new islands, maybe raising the notoriety cap would be good places to start. Just a thought.

Wow, thats some interesting/scary statistics.

I would say about 1000+ people who signed the petition don't play the game regularly, if at all, due to DIMG neglecting the game. Myself being one of those people. Although thats no reason for Disney to continue to keep their back turned. If anything it should give them a reason to come back to POTCO.

I would even be happy at this point if Disney only showed some public recognition for the petition. Yet they continue to ignore us. No company should do that to their customers, under any circumstance, unless they truly want to fail.

Although it is only 1 week of data, it does surprise me that the weekend was not the peak time. I would have guessed that the weekend would have been the busiest period. Crazy what you can learn from a few solid pieces of data.

I actually beg to differ with Role-Players, though. They role-play ALOT but they still play POTCO as it was originally built for as well :p. Interesting to see thats how many that play, yet not surprising.

Now that is really really cool math right there o_o! Good job mate :)!

Thank you very much, sir.

Although it is only 1 week of data, it does surprise me that the weekend was not the peak time. I would have guessed that the weekend would have been the busiest period. Crazy what you can learn from a few solid pieces of data.

I was thinking that a lot too when I was gathering the data. I guessed that Sunday would have the most players, as a lot of other MMOs do.

I actually beg to differ with Role-Players, though. They role-play ALOT but they still play POTCO as it was originally built for as well :p. Interesting to see thats how many that play, yet not surprising.

Interesting indeed. I was just using roleplayers as examples - there are also plenty of people that hang out on abassa all day or just check in with their guild. Either way, though, the final results between people who aren't as active and the people who use more than one pirate per day just about cancel each other out.Alright, so I got the data for the second week. There was just one hiccup, though. The leaderboards have not updated since Tuesday the 13, so the only data that will be shown is going to be from Thursday the 8th to Monday the 12. I tried to gather the data on multiple browsers and operating systems... but - no dice.
So here's the graph for the week:
week2.jpg

• Maximum number of pirates that played: 5091 (Friday)
  • Minimum number of pirates that played: 4931 (Monday)
  • Average number of pirates that played: about 5003
Yeah, so definitely not as exciting as last time... so I made a graph that combines both of the weeks together. Here it is:
week1and2.jpg

• Maximum number of pirates that played: 5379 (Week One Friday)
  • Minimum number of pirates that played: 4931 (Week Two Monday)
  • Average number of pirates that played: 5148
So, I guess that's better. It looks like the amount of players are on a downward slope, however this is probably due to school starting for some recently. However, with the new EITC event, I bet we will see numbers well above 5300.

That's it for this week. Be sure to check back next week for even more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about the GM events this weekend, it would be interesting if these event showed greater play than a normal weekend. If you collect more data, could you comment on the results of the event?

Of course! The data will be presented as usual after a week from the last post. So be expecting it on Wednesday.

Yes the numbers are based on pirates that killed at least one any type enemy. They do not include pirates that are not killing enemies.
Regarding the GM Event data, the leaderboards were not updated over the weekend during those events so that might be a problem.

So then these numbers are technically based on the pirates who kill any type of enemy?...

Well, yes. However when a pirate sinks only ships that day, the amount of ships will also show up in the "enemies defeated" category in the leaderboards.
Yes the numbers are based on pirates that killed at least one any type enemy. They do not include pirates that are not killing enemies.
Regarding the GM Event data, the leaderboards were not updated over the weekend during those events so that might be a problem.
It's always a pain when they don't update the leaderboards... I was looking forward to the weekend the most, too.

Back