Guide  How to change graphics API

Bad

Admin
Ahoy mates. In this How To I will show you how to change your Graphics API for the Launcher and Browser version.

Launcher Version
  • Open your Launcher (Do Not Log In Yet)
  • After it opens Press 'Graphics Options' at the bottom of the Launcher
step1.png

A new window will open showing you the options of:
  • Open GL
  • DirectX8
  • DirectX9
"Open GL" is the default. If this is what is set and your having problems, I would recommend trying "DirectX9" first, as it is the most commonly supported today. "DirectX8" may prove to work better for some older systems and may have better performance on some newer ones. Once set here, the game should launch using the graphics api of your choice.

step2.png

• Select and Option and press 'Continue'
Lastly, log in and see how the option works for you.

Browser Version
Bstep1.png

After selecting 'Change Game API' it should take you here
Bstep2.png

"Open GL" is the default. If this is what is set and your having problems, I would recommend trying "DirectX9" first, as it is the most commonly supported today. "DirectX8" may prove to work better for some older systems and may have better performance on some newer ones. Once set here, the game should launch using the graphics api of your choice.
  • Select an Option, Log in and see how it works for you :)
Note: This steps will work for both Live Server and Test ServersLaunchers and Browsers.

Manually Change Graphics API for Game Launchers Click Here!

When I open graphics options on the launcher, it lets me chose an option but I cant hit continue... there isnt a continue. There isnt anything at all. I have to hit enter to get out of it. Then after I hit enter, the options arent saved :(

Try this way
To Manually Set the Graphics API for the Launchers

Before you log in

You will need to create/edit the "game_api.txt" file located in the PiratesOnline directory if you have ever saved settings in the Options Panel.
1) Go to Start | Programs | Accessories | Windows Explorer.
2) Navigate to C:\Program Files\Disney\Disney Online\PiratesOnline.
3) Double click on game_api.txt to open it (usually in notepad), if the file does not exist, start and then exit the launcher, it should create one automatically. If not refer to the "Old" instructions at the bottom of this guide, they may be helpful.
4) This file will have only one word/option in it, the graphics API that is set for the game. Change it to one of the following (without the quotes):
For Open Gl: "pandagl" (If you simply delete the game_api.txt file, it will default to this)
For DirectX 8: "pandadx8"
For DirectX 9: "pandadx9"
For DirectX 10: "pandadx10" <-- Some Vista users have reported this has helped them, not sure how well its supported.
5) Save the file start launcher, login and launch game.

Thanks mate. Will give it a try when I log back in. Good info! Hope it helps some of my lag issues.

I really appreciate this post. I was pulling my hair out with this highly annoying problem, which was absolutely horrendous frame rates while running pirates. I couldn't figure out why my computer I built runs other online games at 50-60 FPS with max settings and with pirates I was getting 15 when not moving and dropping to below 10 and at some times to 1 with any sort of action occuring. I know servers get laggy, but this was every time I logged on. It was also impossible to fish, and tough to shoot a cannon, slide show every time I cast. But I fixed all that by simply switching to Open GL. Now my FPS are up where they should be and all is well. Thanks for reminding me about this option which I forgot completely about!!

~Etar1pAI

Back