Tip  How to Play Cards Like a Pirate

ElizaCreststeel

Wiki Staff
Play Cards Like a Pirate
…Or Card Cheating for Fun and Profit

There's a card game to be had in every tavern in the Caribbe. Some offer only Blackjack (21) or Tortuga Hold'em, but some offer tables for both.

Taverns on each island have their own bet limits, with Port Royal having the lowest and Padres Del Fuego allowing the highest amounts (20g minimum Poker, 500g maximum Blackjack).

Starting players or players needing to build cash should start low (Port Royal or Tortuga) and work upward as they feel comfortable. You don't want to be throwing down 500g a hand for Blackjack if you can't afford to lose it.

Tortuga Hold'em

Basics
The goal of poker is to have the best five-card hand or convince all the other players that you do.

In stud or draw poker, each player has their own five cards with which to do this. So, unless some cards are played face up – no one knows what you have.

In Hold'em Poker, some cards are laid face-up on the table and are combined for the best hand with each player's own hole or pocket cards (unseen).

Each round, players bet depending on what they have, what they think the others have, or what they want the others to think they have.

Unlike Texas Hold'em, players must continue through all rounds of betting, unless others fold. There is no option for All-In (bet everything you have).

Lay of the Land
If you're sitting down to play big money poker, don't just jump right in – especially at a full table. Keep a low profile at first.

Look at who's playing. If nearly all the players are in the same guild, do yourself a favor and walk away. Odds are good they're running the table and you will be the next pigeon plucked (See Crew Cheating).

Sad to say, lower levels are usually the easiest to beat. They aren't as experienced and likely playing cards just for quests, so they will raise when they have nothing to play and have fewer cheat cards to swap out.

Simple Strategy

The old adage used to be 'Play Strong when Weak and Play Weak when Strong" – or "bet a lot when you have crap, and don't bet when you got good."

Two problems with that. This is play money, so bluffing won't work the same way – it still works, just not reliably. And second, if you don't bet on a good hand, then why play it? Checking each round gets you no money.

You shouldn't bet unless you have something; either an opening pair of hole cards, an Ace, two face cards, or two sequenced cards (preferably of the same suit). You're building on something, not praying and fishing.

If you paid the blind, it won't hurt to check and see the next 3 cards (flop).

If everyone checks, do they have anything? After two rounds of everyone checking, go ahead and bet. If they're all fishing for a prayer, they'll likely fold. Should someone call you, then at least money is in the pot and you know something is in play.

Bluffing is an art. Either start early or… when next card shows potential.

(Ex. If a 6 of Diamonds, Jack of Hearts and an 8 of Spades is showing, the best you be hiding is three of a kind. So, a bluff likely wouldn't fly. But, if three cards for a potential straight, flush or a pair are showing, you could be hiding something big.)

If you're going to bluff, you have to keep it up. You can't keep raising and raising, then at the last card just check. The jig is up at that point.

The game helps you with Avatar tells. If a pirate gets a good card, they will pump their fist or if they have nothing good, they will scratch their head.

Cheating at Poker
There two ways to cheat in Tortuga Hold'em: Card Swapping and Crew Chat.

Card Swapping is built into the game. It's what those cards you keep finding when you kill bad guys are for.

When it's your turn, the game will prompt if your want to swap a card. You only get 1 swap per hand, make it count.

If you decide to cheat, do it sparingly. Other players get suspicious if you take 30 seconds every hand to make a decision.

You shouldn't risk card swapping for a small money game or hand; save'em until the pot is worth it. It's hard enough to find'em.

Hold off on card swaps until the last round. Swapping before the flop cards may net you a pair, but if the flop would have given you a perfect flush or straight – you just missed it.

If you do cheat and win big, do yourself a favor and get up from the table; even if to just change seats. If you don't and get caught later, all that money is gone. The game registers each sitting as separate.

Crew Cheating

When two or more players crew up together, Katie bar the door. Here is where some real money can be made.

It's simple enough, crew up with your mate(s) and have a seat.

As the cards are dealt, just tell each other what you have in Crew Chat. Once it's decided who would have the winning hand, the crew gets to work on the other players.

Each round, members of the circle raise to build up the pot. A little practice will teach when it's good to call and when to stack'em up. If all other players fold, then the crew just picks who takes that pot and the rest fold.

To keep it moving, use a shorthand version of your cards.

Card Cheat Shorthand
Ace of Hearts + Three of Spades = AH 3S
Full House, Three 5's over Two 7's = FH 5s/7s or FH57
Straight to the Queen (8-Q) = Str 8-Q

Blackjack

It is about being closer to 21 than the dealer without going over. You get your two cards, and then decide if you want more. Your only opponent is the dealer.

Blackjack in Pirates of the Caribbean has two primary rules; the dealer does NOT win ties, but the dealer can take a hit on a 16 or lower.

Easy Blackjack Strategy
There are tons of books, etc. on the subject, but here's a quickie method. Understand that there is no guarantee on what cards will fall.

Play directly in response to what the dealer has.

If the Dealer's......And the Player's..Player's Response
Show Card is.........Cards Are..........Should Be

Any.................5-8...............Hit
Any.................9-11..............Double-Down
2,3,4,5 or 6.......13-20..............Stand

7,8,9,10 or A......13-16..............Hit
7,8,9,10 or A......17-20..............Stand

Any...............Ace+2 – Ace+5.......Hit
Any...............Ace+6 – Ace+7.......Double-Down
Any...............Ace+8 – Ace+9.......Stand

Any...............Any pair...........Split
..................*except 5's........Double Down
...................*or 10's..........Stand

Cheating at Blackjack
Swapping cards is the only real way to cheat at Blackjack. Like swapping cards in Poker, timing is everything - the right combination of what's showing and what you have up your sleeve.

With Blackjack, having face cards, tens and Aces are the ideal swap cards, but consider another option – The Double Down.

To Double Down, you want a hand that won't bust if you get a ten or another Ace – preferably an 8, 9, 10 or 11 total.

Example: The dealer has a 7 showing (So, odds are likely he has 17). You have 9+4 (13) and you have a 6 up your sleeve.

Instead of swapping the 6 for the 4 (only netting you 15 and losing odds), swap out the 9 for a total of 10 (4+6) and then Double Down. Odds are stronger you'll get 20.

As with Poker, if you cheat and don't get caught, you should swap seats to protect your winnings.

Those are some great tips Eliza! I never picked up on the Avatar tells, that's very helpful to know. Thanks so much for sharing, I just might play poker more often.lol ;)

i have a lot of cheat cards since i dont play a lot these tips should be usefull. tip you can bet the most on padres del fuego

i am going to try your stradegy, see if i can get money for a war frigate. I play blackjack mostly, to much of a chance to get caught cheating in poker. ty for the tips

lol i dont play cards alot but i have maxed out aces so when im bored and need something to do i just go and cheat and i know how to not get caught doing it so if im paying attention im fine and if im not well i loose a little gold and go to jail not that big of a deal cuz i have max gold

Back