Humans Need Not Apply

Saw this on social media a week or so ago. It's pretty incredible, even having learned about the Baxter robots a while back.

A lot of big tech companies are working on complex artificial intelligence software right now. Driverless cars are just one of countless examples. Labor is increasingly going to be performed by robots.

And as is usual with new technology, it will be quite disruptive to the world as we know it. It's going to displace a lot of jobs and cause a lot of problems. All we can hope is eventually the world will be "better" for it. And even if it won't, the train has already left the station I think.

When robots are thought up and made by other robots is when things will get interesting. :confused:

EDIT: Just think, millions of years in the future. An intellengent alien species, if there are were or will be any, may come to earth to see only robots living their daily lives, evloving as they think of ideas how to make new robots. No life forms, only robots. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some companies are hard at work on things like that, software that is capable of learning and improving itself. Google in particular has acquired an AI company led by someone who believes strongly in technological singularity.

Supposedly there will be a point where the knowledge of machines will surpass that of humans. Which would make it very hard to predict what the technology would do, given that it will be able to base its decisions on things beyond our comprehension. It sounds absolutely insane right now but it's cool to think about, as it increasingly looks like we'll have robots capable of learning and comprehending information in ways similar to our brains (using things like Bayesian reasoning).

Saw this on social media a week or so ago. It's pretty incredible, even having learned about the Baxter robots a while back.

A lot of big tech companies are working on complex artificial intelligence software right now. Driverless cars are just one of countless examples. Labor is increasingly going to be performed by robots.

And as is usual with new technology, it will be quite disruptive to the world as we know it. It's going to displace a lot of jobs and cause a lot of problems. All we can hope is eventually the world will be "better" for it. And even if it won't, the train has already left the station I think.
Its undoubtedly interesting to watch as we see innovations in the technology. We continue to advance faster and more complex than before. We didn't really have much in terms of cellhones 10 years ago and it was considered a luxury to children. Then the smart phones came out and things changed. Cell phones were one no longer a luxury and eventually smart phones apparently wouldn't be either,based off present day with the various teens on Instagram or those using snapchat.

~ The timestamp, within the video, at 9:56 -11:11 does remind me of my job (somewhat).

I work in the Pharmaceutical Industry and on a daily basis, my job requires that I gown completely in aseptic/clean-room gowning to assure the integrity of a clean-room environment (to assist in the manufacture of pharmaceutical drugs).

(A 'cleanroom' environment similar to this as depicted within the movie, 'Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory')
Screen+Shot+2013-06-16+at+4.37.09+PM.png

Anyway, a general rule within the industry is that people contribute 80% of the contamination issue within a sterile, clean-room environment. Despite this fact, people (rather than robotic computers) must continually be relied upon as a result that people, during any particular situation, are more adapt to make a quick/important judgment call if something does go wrong during the process.

With the fact that in dealing with medicine an "incorrect" decision could actually affect the livelihood or life of another human being, I just don't see how (within some jobs or industries) that computers and/or technology could be relied upon completely to replace the human aspect no matter how well the advancement of technology could bring to the situation at-hand.

While I do support the advancement of certain technology, I think as people we often forget that our greatest flaw is placing "too much" faith in technological advancement. In this regard, I cannot help but think back to the unfortunate tragedy of the sinking of the TITANIC and how even back then, our history was changed forever due to an over-confidence of the latest technology of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back