I would like a NPC in TLOPO to be named after Tyler.

Should this happen?

• Yes

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters
I'm sorry the guy died and I'm sure he was someone special but we can't just name an NPC after a player that was 1 in 1000s of players on POTCO. That wouldn't be fair to others who died and played POTCO and even some of the more well known ones. I have to respectfully disagree.
I'm not so sure that popularity should determine whether or not a player who has passed away should be honored in the remake of the game or not. I'd say it's either all or nothing. We either do it for every player we know who has left us, or none at all. I don't see how picking and choosing over popularity would be fair.

I'm not so sure that popularity should determine whether or not a player who has passed away should be honored in the remake of the game or not. I'd say it's either all or nothing. We either do it for every player we know who has left us, or none at all. I don't see how picking and choosing over popularity would be fair.
I don't mean to imply the suggested in your post, I'm saying its a bit unfair their names have not been suggested either. I disagree either way though.

IF "community" in the slightest bit is a reason/justification behind why everyone is claiming for POTCO to be remade, then I say it's a great idea but it would have to be something a (particular) development team would have to decide in lieu of such an idea.

I only knew Sir Tyler to have died some years after post game closure which I tired to create an In Memoriam thread in a former site but was never picked up, but there was one other I knew who had died before the game had closed. How many more died while the game was still up and running?

But if it IS a community initiative or concern, then hold community-based events to honour them. Do what you would normally do at a wake, funeral, or memorial service. Asides from that, why not create a video celebrating their life and the friendship you shared. Don't make them a thing that is stagnate but something that's on going.

What threads here have been made to honour the dead? Think about that.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm not sure that making someone who has passed on into an NPC in an MMO computer game is exactly the best way to honor them. Personally, I wouldn't want to be remembered that way. I know this might sound a bit overdramatic, but I don't think the memory someone's life should be reduced to that of a bunch of stagnant pixels in an amateur remake of a compute game they once played.

But that's just me.

I am sorry to hear about Tyler, I didn't know the lad, but it is always sad to find one of us is no longer at our table, especially at such a young age. I never knew Bill or Heart either, but I think I read some of their posts, and they seemed nice. We are all lessened by their passing.

Given the span of ages that played Potco, there were most likely quite a few who passed, during and after the games closing. I knew two personally, and it is always an incredibly difficult thought to comprehend, because I'm sorry, but pirates just aren't supposed to die, dang it!

If I could choose a way to remember them, I would create a mausoleum, in say the Tortuga graveyard, or perhaps the Governors Garden, with a plaque to dedicate the spot to all our scurvy brothers and sisters who have left our now rumless shores. Think the Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier, just a central place people could stop or gather at to reflect at times. Honor should never be reserved for merely the few, in doing so, it dishonors us all.

But again, it's up to the Devs to decide. What say you, Devs?

If I could choose a way to remember them, I would create a mausoleum, in say the Tortuga graveyard, or perhaps the Governors Garden, with a plaque to dedicate the spot to all our scurvy brothers and sisters who have left our now rumless shores. Think the Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier, just a central place people could stop or gather at to reflect at times. Honor should never be reserved for merely the few, in doing so, it dishonors us all.

That WOULD be an interesting concept. A generic/open memorial. but the thing is, would pirates do that by nature? Would they erect something for all to see or would it be something more coy, like a tattoo, a seat reserved for someone who won't be coming back, secret cavern of those lost at sea, etc?

If anything, a new thread could be created to brainstorm possibilities, and 'if' devs were interested, they could take a peek in what the community generates.

Last edited:
...Many people have passed and I'm not sure adding or changing NPC names would be the best way to remember them.
Perhaps you're right. :) But given the fact that the POTCO community has remained intact despite the numerous challenges set against us...perhaps the doing of "something" like this would send a direct message to Disney and the rest of the world that with the POTCO (MMO) virtual world game...it was a game unique in the fact that no pirate is left behind despite circumstance and the keeping of - "the code."

While everyone (I hope) ponders the above, take a moment of your time to review this video below (note: I give credit to @Mike Wass and @Kate Goldwalker for informing me of the below as I was not aware that POTCO was actually promoted on an extremely popular, U.S./global television show):

*This kid above had a POTCO (NPC) character named after him, by Disney. At least, I hope I am correct in saying so @Kate Goldwalker? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a pic of Captain Job:

screenshot_2015-09-14_21-15-45.jpg

With the discussion arising within the community, I figured I'd do my part and and share the video revealing the origins of our good friend Captain Job on my YouTube channel.

As far as adding a NPC in TLOPO to honor our fellow pirates who have fallen, I think it would be a great idea! Not making any promises, but definitely a real possibility.
Thank you JDP :) <3

Back