If doing repairs on public ships paid......

Tiame

Honorable Pirate
If doing repairs on public ships paid, either in a tiny bit of rep or gold(or both) for each repair....think how many people might stop going afk on public ships. New players would probably make repairing a good habit from the beginning.....Also, coming from someone who does LOTS of repairs(cause A: svs taught me well to be speedy and B: unless theres not enough fury love, then I figure being mastered let someone else level cannon)....it would be a win-win.

I see what you are saying, but you are already earning the plunder. So I mean there is no reason to add gold since you are repairing the ship to keep the plundered goods. I am not sure about the rep though.

I see what you are saying, but you are already earning the plunder. So I mean there is no reason to add gold since you are repairing the ship to keep the plundered goods. I am not sure about the rep though.

There should be something though. Yes you're getting the loot, but you ALSO get rep if you're on a cannon. And, even worse, you get the same amount of loot for doing literally nothing as you do from repairing.

People will often stay on cannons and just wait for someone else to fix the ship. If your entire crew does that (which oft happens with public crews) you can get into trouble.

Id like to see it go towards cannon rep instead of sailing rep. I feel that would make more sense.

I don't agree at all. Keeping a ship afloat seems more relevant to sailing than it does cannons. Repairs have nothing to do with firing stuff.

What would be even cooler is a repair level (cap at 20 like fishing). Higher levels could get more repair from each game, and have repair "skills" like instantly finishing a game (with half repair value) or making a game the easy difficulty version (with cooldown), or even increasing one to hard difficulty but doubling the repair.

It does make more sense, but I'd rather earn sailing rep than cannon rep cuz Cannon is fun to lvl and sailing is annoying :p

Lol it goes either way some people prefer sailing some prefer cannons I absolutely hate cannons with a passion. I have reached a point where I have to start leveling cannons but when im shooting nobody else but me wants to repair so i have to hop off.

I don't agree at all. Keeping a ship afloat seems more relevant to sailing than it does cannons. Repairs have nothing to do with firing stuff.

What would be even cooler is a repair level (cap at 20 like fishing). Higher levels could get more repair from each game, and have repair "skills" like instantly finishing a game (with half repair value) or making a game the easy difficulty version (with cooldown), or even increasing one to hard difficulty but doubling the repair.

Its a crew job thats why i said it would be better to contribute it to cannon. At no point can I imagine the captain dropping the wheel in the middle of 10 enemy ships to repair lol

Its a crew job thats why i said it would be better to contribute it to cannon. At no point can I imagine the captain dropping the wheel in the middle of 10 enemy ships to repair lol

I knew that was the line of thinking but I still disagree with it.

Consider all the "invisible" crew positions. When the captain calls for the sails to be lowered, in reality crew members lower them. Would you call raising/lowering/turning the sails closer to "cannons" or "sailing"? Repairs are much the same. Just because a crew member isn't behind the wheel doesn't mean it's closer to cannons than sailing.

I knew that was the line of thinking but I still disagree with it.

Consider all the "invisible" crew positions. When the captain calls for the sails to be lowered, in reality crew members lower them. Would you call raising/lowering/turning the sails closer to "cannons" or "sailing"? Repairs are much the same. Just because a crew member isn't behind the wheel doesn't mean it's closer to cannons than sailing.

But are we discussing adding exp every time the captain orders the sails to be raised or lowered? I would think that nothing should be contributed to sailing unless the pirate is standing at the helm sailing the ship.

lol I guess I must just have a bunch of different opinions than everyone else but there have to be some people out there that would agree.

But are we discussing adding exp every time the captain orders the sails to be raised or lowered? I would think that nothing should be contributed to sailing unless the pirate is standing at the helm sailing the ship.

lol I guess I must just have a bunch of different opinions than everyone else but there have to be some people out there that would agree.
Well, I see both sides here. To repair, you are most likely giving up a cannon spot, so you should get cannon xp. However, you are incorrect in your argument because the captain himself doesn't fire broadsides, the imaginary crew does. Therefore, it could go either way

I was using it as an example for how people on deck can be contributing to "sailing" more than "cannoneering".

The "being on crew should be cannon" isn't a bad line of thought. It makes sense when you think of cannon as "the crew level" and sailing as "the captain level". It just depends on whether you look at it that way or not.

I've always found the repair games to be the most enjoyable part of being at sea, most likely because I can't aim or steer well :p It's especially fun now that each individual minigame heals the ship a bit. While I do understand that leveling sailing & cannons is time-consuming, and that repairing instead of working on those two skills "takes away" from leveling, I really don't think that repairs should give rep. A captain doesn't learn how to effectively sail his ship by spending time on repairs, but rather by learning from his mistakes how to take less damage in the first place. I get the concept (reward players a bit for undertaking less-favorable tasks) but I don't think it would work well in practice. Theoretically, players could max sailing and/or cannons without ever touching a wheel or cannon, which kind of detracts from the whole gameplay experience. Just my opinion :)

Well, I see both sides here. To repair, you are most likely giving up a cannon spot, so you should get cannon xp. However, you are incorrect in your argument because the captain himself doesn't fire broadsides, the imaginary crew does. Therefore, it could go either way

I was actually thinking about that just as soon as I posted my reply but once again that is something that the captain is ordering. I am mostly sticking with the point that to go repair you have to give up a cannon and EVERYTHING that surrounds firing said cannon which in and of its self could be saving the ship lol.

I've always found the repair games to be the most enjoyable part of being at sea, most likely because I can't aim or steer well :p It's especially fun now that each individual minigame heals the ship a bit. While I do understand that leveling sailing & cannons is time-consuming, and that repairing instead of working on those two skills "takes away" from leveling, I really don't think that repairs should give rep. A captain doesn't learn how to effectively sail his ship by spending time on repairs, but rather by learning from his mistakes how to take less damage in the first place. I get the concept (reward players a bit for undertaking less-favorable tasks) but I don't think it would work well in practice. Theoretically, players could max sailing and/or cannons without ever touching a wheel or cannon, which kind of detracts from the whole gameplay experience. Just my opinion :)

Hence I suggested it has its own level!

The point being I feel like repairing should have some kind of reward in and of itself. Sailing and cannon both do.

Also semi unrelated, but anyone who has fun repairing is always welcome on my ship!

I also see your side of things as well :) I am more of a captain than a crew member so i level a cannon with a captains attitude angry and irritated watching other people not contributing as I desperately run back and forth between cannon and repair and the minute I stop the ship sinks (Totally had this happen the other day stepped away for a minute to grab a bottle of water ran back across the house and because i stopped repairing the ship sank.) XD I just think you should be getting some of that back towards your cannon skill.
It really is kinda a balance of classes there is the crew member and then there is the captain, that sailing skill is a nobility level when you master sailing you are absolutely suitable to run a ship if repair contributed to sailing there would straight up be people running around with hardly any sailing experience but mastered sailing and people trusting them to grab the helm right before the ship slowly fills with water and everyone drowns and dies violently. All of this being metaphorical of course but looking at it realistically ship repair would be ship maintenance which on a real ship would be the job of a captain or one of his officers. Just as controlling broadsides would be more the job of a captain even though the crew members are the ones loading and firing. I don't know maybe I think too much lol.

Please feel free to board my ship anytime XD :D

I totally understand your pain of trying to level cannons. I too am a captain at heart, and everything about being on deck is stressful to me now (why would you do that captain?! Why am I the only one repairing!? Oh god that broadside of explosives just tore us to oblivion!)

I totally understand your pain of trying to level cannons. I too am a captain at heart, and everything about being on deck is stressful to me now (why would you do that captain?! Why am I the only one repairing!? Oh god that broadside of explosives just tore us to oblivion!)

I cant get on a ship without complaining about other captains I have to bite my tongue really really hard... the worst is, ''Dude there are 3 level 30's on this ship with over level 20 cannons and you are level 40 WHY ARE WE SINKING SMALL SHIPS! '' like bro you are wasting cargo space.

Back