If doing repairs on public ships paid......

Lol it goes either way some people prefer sailing some prefer cannons I absolutely hate cannons with a passion. I have reached a point where I have to start leveling cannons but when im shooting nobody else but me wants to repair so i have to hop off.
The best way to do it is to repair in between ship kills, unless otherwise necessary. If your captain knows what they're doing (hint: if they don't, get off the ship) then you should be able to follow a pattern of sink-repair-sink-repair. I always start repairing the second a ship goes down and we're not in range of another one, and can usually get 1-2 games done in that time.

As far as an incentive for repairing, I thought gold might be interesting. The way it might happen is that the captain can set a gold payment for each repair game done, in the amounts of either 0g, 5g, 10g, 20g, 50g, or 100g per game. Maybe those ranges are off for one reason or another, but the concept is that the payment could be set by the captain due to varying amounts of wealth among captains. However, the issue with this is that you might get people who don't repair unless the payment is high enough, and pressure the captain into raising it. It would just complicate the whole system a bit much. However, if you were to offer a reputation incentive for sailing (yes, sailing, and not cannon - the captain steering the ship is not the only "sailor" on the ship), it could work, and I honestly think that would be a pretty good idea.

The best way to do it is to repair in between ship kills, unless otherwise necessary. If your captain knows what they're doing (hint: if they don't, get off the ship) then you should be able to follow a pattern of sink-repair-sink-repair. I always start repairing the second a ship goes down and we're not in range of another one, and can usually get 1-2 games done in that time.

As far as an incentive for repairing, I thought gold might be interesting. The way it might happen is that the captain can set a gold payment for each repair game done, in the amounts of either 0g, 5g, 10g, 20g, 50g, or 100g per game. Maybe those ranges are off for one reason or another, but the concept is that the payment could be set by the captain due to varying amounts of wealth among captains. However, the issue with this is that you might get people who don't repair unless the payment is high enough, and pressure the captain into raising it. It would just complicate the whole system a bit much. However, if you were to offer a reputation incentive for sailing (yes, sailing, and not cannon - the captain steering the ship is not the only "sailor" on the ship), it could work, and I honestly think that would be a pretty good idea.

I wouldnt say everyone is a sailor, everyone has the capability to sail everyone can purchase a ship and launch it and sink ships, but that does not necessarily make them a sailor it just means they bought a ship and decided to do things themselves. I know plenty of people and have known plenty over the years who are absolutely awful at sailing and have no business being at the helm of a ship. Mastery of a weapon is something of a status symbol if im looking for someone to sail under I look to their stats to see if they are experienced in sailing I like to think others check peoples stats before just trusting them with a hour and a half of their life praying that they know what they are doing and don't sink the ship. Contributing repair points to sailing would be detrimental to this process especially considering I would say sailing requires a significant amount of skill...
Essentially with cannons your job is to ride along point and click. The guy behind the wheel has to avoid taking fatal damage and keep the enemy ship in range of all of his gunners. Not only that but a Captain has to be very careful where he attributes his skill points to make sure he is at his maximum potential. There is a reason ship captains and officers made more commission from cargo than the average powder monkey.

Or it could just give normal rep that contributes to your overall pirates notoriety.

Sailing or using the cannon should be the only way to level up sailing or cannon. This concept everyone, or at least the people who posted before me want enforced is comparable to healers getting rep for the weapon that the person they're healing is using. You should level up sailing by sailing (hence why it is called sailing) - same thing for cannon. I get the fact that some of you despise certain tasks like sailing (or don't sail enough) and I personally wish I could have that repairing rep redirected to potions.. but it makes no sense.

Personally, keeping the ship afloat is enough payment for me. If it sinks everyone loses out so at a point everyone's forced to either repair whether they like it or not (or sink). To encourage the other people who don't repair to repair (or make it less of a tedious task), some rep can be awarded per completed chore (that is reflective of how much repairing they have done and the active time it took them) so they don't miss out on rep while other pirates are fighting ships.

@Darkslinger, I do agree with everything you said.

But the thing is, repairing is less personally rewarding than literally any other thing on the ship. Including doing nothing!

Any good crew will repair the ship for all the reasons you've said. I usually have crews that are good like that, so mostly this isn't an issue to me while I'm sailing.

But there's always people out there that just don't want to touch repairing. The only incentive there currently is, is to "not sink". Which is a great incentive to me, but to others it just means "let someone else do it". The same way having clean dishes is the incentive to cleaning the dishes - you'd still rather someone else did it.

Currently the only "lesson" to teach people to repair more often is when their ship sinks and they lose all their loot. I'm certainly not going to be the one teaching them that - it's a waste of everyone's time. Mine and my entire crew.

Besides, none of my ships have sunk yet (outside SvS), I'm keeping it that way haha.

But the thing is, repairing is less personally rewarding than literally any other thing on the ship. Including doing nothing!

Any good crew will repair the ship for all the reasons you've said. I usually have crews that are good like that, so mostly this isn't an issue to me while I'm sailing.

But there's always people out there that just don't want to touch repairing. The only incentive there currently is, is to "not sink". Which is a great incentive to me, but to others it just means "let someone else do it". The same way having clean dishes is the incentive to cleaning the dishes - you'd still rather someone else did it.

Currently the only "lesson" to teach people to repair more often is when their ship sinks and they lose all their loot. I'm certainly not going to be the one teaching them that - it's a waste of everyone's time. Mine and my entire crew.

Besides, none of my ships have sunk yet (outside SvS), I'm keeping it that way haha.

A good suggestion by the way for when it does happen where you have people who dont want to do anything is start sailing away while they are trying to sink a ship and tell them to repair. Do not stop sailing straight and away from enemies until they decide to grab a hammer XD

So rep isn't enough of a reward for repairing the ship?

In my opinion, Gold shouldn't be given out per repair (everyone's got too much anyway and people would "mine" repairing) but I'm interested in your ideas regarding other rewards. However, it shouldn't be too rewarding except people would fight for repairs and everyone would leave cannons and start repairing!

I'm ok with how it is right now since a lot of people repair on their own (and I make sure I give them a shout out - eg: "thanks for repairing, [insert name]!"). The only addition I'd like to see is rep for those people.

At this point this issue is so controversial they probably wont give anything at all. Which is fine as well but brings us back to the idea that the captain should be able to impose some sort of penalty to people who don't contribute, those who refuse to repair or refuse to do anything at all.

I wouldnt say everyone is a sailor, everyone has the capability to sail everyone can purchase a ship and launch it and sink ships, but that does not necessarily make them a sailor it just means they bought a ship and decided to do things themselves. I know plenty of people and have known plenty over the years who are absolutely awful at sailing and have no business being at the helm of a ship. Mastery of a weapon is something of a status symbol if im looking for someone to sail under I look to their stats to see if they are experienced in sailing I like to think others check peoples stats before just trusting them with a hour and a half of their life praying that they know what they are doing and don't sink the ship. Contributing repair points to sailing would be detrimental to this process especially considering I would say sailing requires a significant amount of skill...
Essentially with cannons your job is to ride along point and click. The guy behind the wheel has to avoid taking fatal damage and keep the enemy ship in range of all of his gunners. Not only that but a Captain has to be very careful where he attributes his skill points to make sure he is at his maximum potential. There is a reason ship captains and officers made more commission from cargo than the average powder monkey.
If we're going by the real definition of sailing, then everyone on a ship who contributes to the process of sailing the ship is a sailor. All the cabin boys who raise and lower the sails and do all the things that make the ship go where the captain directs are sailors. It's not just the captain at the helm. Not only that, but rep in sailing from repairing would be tremendously helpful to those who find sailing a grueling thing to level. Personally, I don't find it too terrible and I'm a level away from mastering. But, I understand that some people find it just way too slow and I think that's a plausible belief, so adding sailing rep from repairing would help to relieve that some. As far as being able to gauge someone's skill level, I can tell you that there are a lot of pirates with high levels in sailing that just don't know what they're doing. And even if it would hinder your ability to judge their capabilities, just let them have the wheel and if they screw up, take it back. It's not a perfect system either way.

If we're going by the real definition of sailing, then everyone on a ship who contributes to the process of sailing the ship is a sailor. All the cabin boys who raise and lower the sails and do all the things that make the ship go where the captain directs are sailors. It's not just the captain at the helm. Not only that, but rep in sailing from repairing would be tremendously helpful to those who find sailing a grueling thing to level. Personally, I don't find it too terrible and I'm a level away from mastering. But, I understand that some people find it just way too slow and I think that's a plausible belief, so adding sailing rep from repairing would help to relieve that some. As far as being able to gauge someone's skill level, I can tell you that there are a lot of pirates with high levels in sailing that just don't know what they're doing. And even if it would hinder your ability to judge their capabilities, just let them have the wheel and if they screw up, take it back. It's not a perfect system either way.

True but that doesn't exactly account for the people who cant stand cannons I am sure there are plenty of people out there who don't like cannons just as there are plenty of people who hate sailing. Those people just don't happen to be here lol.
Id say they would have to either give repairing its own skills and reputation points or do nothing at all. Personally I feel like it is just as effective to sail away until people decide maybe its a good time to repair. I doubt the team would consider at any point adding any bonus to people who repair anyway I really wish a team member would come in and tell us what they think XD

Back