Suggestion In-Game Voice Chat

Should TLOPO add voice chat to the game?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jason Darkbones

Buccaneer
So I and a few guildmates in Dark Archive were thinking of ideas today and I suggested that TLOPO adds in-game voice chat to the game. It would be really practical for many reasons and could be easily moderated. First off, in order to use the voice chat, you would have to prove that you are of a certain age to use the chat so that it is limited to mature players and keeps the younger kids safe from the dialog that may occur. You could prove your age by reading and accepting that you are at least 14 years old (Or whatever the age may be that is decided) and then TLOPO would allow you to partake in the voice chat. Secondly, it could be turned on and off through an option in the settings menu so even if you are older than 14 you don't have to hear everyone speaking around you. Also, you could mute players that annoy you using the ignore function that is already in the game, and then you don't have to deal with them :). I know many of you are thinking, what happens if a group of people is mic spamming from a different island and you cant mute them? The solution is simple, all you have to do is limit the range the voice chat works from. I.E two players would have to be within a certain range to hear each other.

The reason why this feature would be so beneficial to the game can apply to many situations:
Sailing with friends is awesome, but nothing kills the fun like having to exit the wheel of the ship just to type a sentence to your friends. How easy would it be to hold down the X key and talk to them without stopping your sailing or ruining the fun :)
Secondly, voice chat would be awesome for relaying a large amount of information to a group of people. There is nothing worse than having to type 3 paragraphs of information to get your message across. Not to mention the fact that your message could be taken differently in text form as you cant tell the tone of the message. If you are speaking to friends with your mic, you can easily communicate without stopping what you are doing.
To build off of this statement I would like to give an example. Imagine you are with a group of friends during an invasion of Tortuga. Imagine having to stop every 30 seconds to type 5 sentences while getting hammered from the oncoming skeleton army. Instead, why not just hold down that X key and speak to them while still being able to slay some skeletons.

EDIT: If users are abusing the voice chat they can be reported through the feature already in the game and the mods will handle the situation. (I.E new players advertising another game or excessive cursing)

In conclusion, I hope that this seems like it would be a great addition to the game, as it does to me! It offers many beneficial items to the game that we have never seen before and could attract a new selection of players to TLOPO.
Thanks for your time,
Jason Darkbones

(PS. This took me like 20 mins to write lol).

Last edited:
Ahoy!

I don't mean to nullify all of the work that you put into this idea, but I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you: TLOPO has already decided that voice chat will not be a feature added to the game. If players wish to use voice chat, there are plenty of other mediums to use.

Thank you for understanding.

~ Cheysa

I like voice chat as a way to communicate, but I think programs like discord will do the job just fine. I don't know if there are enough benefits to an in built VC that would justify the work it would take to create it. But regardless I agree with all your points of frustration with the hassle of typing.

Ahoy!

I don't mean to nullify all of the work that you put into this idea, but I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you: TLOPO has already decided that voice chat will not be a feature added to the game. If players wish to use voice chat, there are plenty of other mediums to use.

~ Cheysa

l would love to see it reconsidered when the game is done because it could be really beneficial to the daily pirate life

and could be easily moderated.
lol no
You could prove your age by reading and accepting that you are at least 14 years old (Or whatever the age may be that is decided) and then TLOPO would allow you to partake in the voice chat.
just because you say you are 14 doesn't mean you are 14, I'm not 17 or older but sometimes I have to say that I am if you know what I mean
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

just because you say you are 14 doesn't mean you are 14, I'm not 17 or older but sometimes I have to say that I am if you know what I mean
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It doesnt matter how old you are...
As long as you sign the form you agree to the terms THEREFORE TLOPO cannot be held accountable for anything that happens

It doesnt matter how old you are...
As long as you sign the form you agree to the terms THEREFORE TLOPO cannot be held accountable for anything that happens
But you state in your original post that the purpose of this would be to stop those under 14 from using voice chat:
you would have to prove that you are of a certain age to use the chat so that it is limited to mature players and keeps the younger kids safe from the dialog that may occur.

l would love to see it reconsidered when the game is done because it could be really beneficial to the daily pirate life
In essence, the reason it will not be implemented is in order to maintain a family friendly environment. Maintaining that family friendly environment is a key to the game's longevity. Voice chat is far too difficult to moderate, and, as far as I know, there is not a software that can detect and censor any inappropriate words as soon as they are said. And if instead someone were to suggest that a person be handling the moderation of the voice chats, that would mean that a moderator would be completely tied up in moderating the voice chat, instead of doing anything else. And what of other, separate voice chats that might be going on at the same time? It would be impossible for a team to moderate, let alone a single moderator.

In essence, the reason it will not be implemented is in order to maintain a family friendly environment. Maintaining that family friendly environment is a key to the game's longevity. Voice chat is far too difficult to moderate, and, as far as I know, there is not a software that can detect and censor any inappropriate words as soon as they are said. And if instead someone were to suggest that a person be handling the moderation of the voice chats, that would mean that a moderator would be completely tied up in moderating the voice chat, instead of doing anything else. And what of other, separate voice chats that might be going on at the same time? It would be impossible for a team to moderate, let alone a single moderator.
Its a shame because it would be a great feature

Besides all the work that would have to be put in that would take away from other things being worked on the game, it would be difficult to moderate. Knowing who’s voice is who’s when multiple people are talking is extremely hard unless you have talked to these people a fair bit. Especially when we have around 600-800 people online at once. To me, it just seems easier to use a Discord server or another medium to voice chat with your friends :)

I don't want to see this feature at all.

It just defeats the purpose of roleplay and being a pirate + It's extremely hard to moderate + no one would use the game chat and the few who did would be left alone by themselves to chat with well no one.

As everyone else said, if you want voice chat there are a ton of other chat platforms to do that.

Last edited:
The second post up there rendered this entire thread moot.
Just sayin'...

Ahoy!

~ Cheysa

There might also be a legal risk with voice chat as it is too difficult to moderate. And as you said there are other voice chat apps than can be used while playing. An app allowing group chat could be nice.

This would be a horrible idea, it doesn't take much to lie about your age,. Just because you say you are 14 doesnt mean you are. Gosh I could imagine like 300 players all squawking at once. NO THANK YOU.

Back