Discussion In Regards to Complaints...

Stephen Teague

Pirate Lord
Hi there,

I just want to start off with that I am a community member, in no way am I a developer or anything but I've noticed some things when it comes to complaints about the quality of this game. First off, this project is volunteer driven. Everything TLOPO does is out of their own time and money. Therefore, it's a gift... not something we are entitled to. Can you be mad and frustrated? Yes absolutely you can but getting angry and posting about how insane that (insert here) doesn't work won't change anything. If you find a bug, report it in the mega-thread and explain how the bug happened, how to recreate it and does it happen multiple times. Saying "I fell under an island, this needs fixing" does NOT help at all. Reporting properly and correctly ensures that bugs can be fixed faster (also keeps the forums cleaner as well). The other thing is, you know you can send reports about bugs via the "Send Feedback" option right? You follow those same steps listed earlier.

Another complaint I am seeing is the servers being overloaded. Is this an issue? Yes. Do you need to complain and have many people post on the forums about it? No. You can be frustrated but posting on the forums in this manner doesn't solve anything. All day ones will be rough, that's how most games go... whether they released this updated Beta TESTING stage a week ago or 2 months from now, it would still have some issues so you got to be patient with that. @Davy Darkrage says it beautifully here: https://piratesforums.co/threads/servers-are-down-so.18526/page-2#post-262825 if we report the way that would be more beneficial, perhaps we can provide more help which is our purpose--to test, not to play. With any big update like this, things will happen.

Please don't be frustrated by my post, I'm not calling out anybody I am just stating what I think would be a better solution. Feel free to respond with your opinions as I just did.

I want to end with an analogy:
If someone gets you a gift for a holiday/birthday whatever the case may be... do you complain to their face? No, you appreciate it and thank them :)

Now, this is different than TLOPO but the principle still applies... be grateful that you can play a long lost game for free on someone else's dime, and offer constructive criticism instead of short, unhelpful spam reports. I admit, I have been frustrated with some of the bugs, but I understand the situation and I move on.
Once again, these are just my opinions...

Thanks

Last edited:
I completely agree. People really need to learn that this is a Beta, things are expected to go wrong, and it is not the polished full version. Our jobs as beta testers is to test the game, and give feedback on any bugs that we happen to come across.
I believe we could all learn a thing or two about "patience" from a game called "0.A.D" It originally began as a mod in 2001 for AOE II Age of Kings, and went into development as its own game in 2003. Between 2009 and 2010, the game was finally released as an alpha. That means that people were waiting 6 to 7 years (Or 8 to 9 years, depending on how you want to look at it) for it to become available. To this day, it is still in it's alpha stages, 14 to 16 years later (Again, depending on how you want to look at it). So just be patient, the devs are doing as best they can to get this out to us, and they have done an amazing job with fixing the game, and greatly improving the framerate.

Link to 0.A.D to show I'm not making this up ----> https://play0ad.com/game-info/project-overview/

I agree with this. Copy and pasted from my facebook post, where the complaining was as ear breaking:

To everyone feeling discouraged: I'm sorry if this post comes off as an attack, but here's the truth.

We all should've expected this to occur. The entire community, me included, was on their toes, ready to jump into the game. With everyone trying to log in at once, the servers are being overflowed, and can't handle it.

Think of it like a water balloon. It can only handle so much before it pops.

So, we may have to wait for a bit, but from the glimpses I got before the temporary closure, the game is looking great, and handles like a dream.

Hi there,

I just want to start off with that I am a community member, in no way am I a developer or anything but I've noticed some things when it comes to complaints about the quality of this game. First off, this project is volunteer driven. Everything TLOPO does is out of their own time and money. Therefore, it's a gift... not something we are entitled to. Can you be mad and frustrated? Yes absolutely you can but getting angry and posting about how insane that (insert here) doesn't work won't change anything. If you find a bug, report it in the mega-thread and explain how the bug happened, how to recreate it and does it happen multiple times. Saying "I fell under an island, this needs fixing" does NOT help at all. Reporting properly and correctly ensures that bugs can be fixed faster (also keeps the forums cleaner as well). The other thing is, you know you can send reports about bugs via the "Send Feedback" option right? You follow those same steps listed earlier.

Another complaint I am seeing is the servers being overloaded. Is this an issue? Yes. Do you need to complain and have many people post on the forums about it? No. You can be frustrated but posting on the forums in this manner doesn't solve anything. All day ones will be rough, that's how most games go... whether they released this updated Beta TESTING stage a week ago or 2 months from now, it would still have some issues so you got to be patient with that. @Davy Darkrage says it beautifully here: https://piratesforums.co/threads/servers-are-down-so.18526/page-2#post-262825 if we report the way that would be more beneficial, perhaps we can provide more help which is our purpose--to test, not to play. With any big update like this, things will happen.

Please don't be frustrated by my post, I'm not calling out anybody I am just stating what I think would be a better solution. Feel free to respond with your opinions as I just did.

I want to end with an analogy:
If someone gets you a gift for a holiday/birthday whatever the case may be... do you complain to their face? No, you appreciate it and thank them :)

Now, this is different than TLOPO but the principle still applies... be grateful that you can play a long lost game for free on someone else's dime, and offer constructive criticism instead of short, unhelpful spam reports. I admit, I have been frustrated with some of the bugs, but I understand the situation and I move on.
Once again, these are just my opinions...

Thanks
Did you change your profile picture to the Pope right before you posted this?

Thank you :) I haven't been on the team for very long but I've seen everyone work so hard over the last week or so just to get this game up and running. It makes me sad when people don't appreciate all the time and effort that my new friends have put into this game (especially since they're doing it for free). But posts like this are super encouraging! So thanks!

I agree completely! I wish everybody in the community had the same mindset. Unfortunately some people do not realize that its still in Beta testing. The whole reason for Beta testing is so the Developers can figure out what needs fixed to make the game run as smoothly as possible BEFORE it is released to the whole community.
I personally would like to thank the Devs for all of the work they have done so far and all of the hard work they are continuing to do as I type. The game is coming along amazingly in my opinion. Keep up the great work!

Clearly toward me, why not just message me, my post was feedback and it wasn't an rage comment. Should of commented on my post actually. How can a glitch that big still be in the game, while they're adding new stuff while there is still bugs doesn't make sense. I do appreciate the work the devs are doing for free, but it doesnt make sense to add new stuff while the game still needs fixing is my point. Assuming isn't a good thing. You probably didn't even read my whole post, and it was suppose to be positive.

Clearly toward me, why not just message me, my post was feedback and it wasn't an rage comment. Should of commented on my post actually. How can a glitch that big still be in the game, while they're adding new stuff while there is still bugs doesn't make sense. I do appreciate the work the devs are doing for free, but it doesnt make sense to add new stuff while the game still needs fixing is my point. Assuming isn't a good thing. You probably didn't even read my whole post.
It's not a glitch, it's the servers being overflowed due to the sheer amount of people trying to get into the game. You have to understand that.

Thank you :) I haven't been on the team for very long but I've seen everyone work so hard over the last week or so just to get this game up and running. It makes me sad when people don't appreciate all the time and effort that my new friends have put into this game (especially since they're doing it for free). But posts like this are super encouraging! So thanks!
i for one 200% appreciate the time, effort, MONEY, e.t.c into the game. even still it is still a bummer thinking one thing and having it not happen. still got to play for 1 hr 30 mins (out of 6 hrs of reserved playtime :p) but still got to enjoy some nostalgia so thank you tlopo crew.

Clearly toward me, why not just message me, my post was feedback and it wasn't an rage comment. Should of commented on my post actually. How can a glitch that big still be in the game, while they're adding new stuff while there is still bugs doesn't make sense. I do appreciate the work the devs are doing for free, but it doesnt make sense to add new stuff while the game still needs fixing is my point. Assuming isn't a good thing. You probably didn't even read my whole post, and it was suppose to be positive.
This wasn't directed at you, in fact, I never saw your post. I was commenting on around 20-30 posts. All of which are in the mega thread and various other threads that I read. I wasn't trying to be rude, I was just asking for a change of mindset. Thank you for your comment though. :)

It's not a glitch, it's the servers being overflowed due to the sheer amount of people trying to get into the game. You have to understand that.

I never heard of the players joining the server makes you go through the island, and it only happens on Devil's Anvil for me, it's a glitch if I never seen.

I find it hard to believe that this was directed towards you. There are a LOT of people complaining and getting frustrated with the bugs and glitches. However, as I mentioned above, keep in mind TLOPO is sill in the Beta testing stage. The bugs and glitches happen, with the amount of people excited for the relaunch of the Beta testing today a server overload was also one of the possibilities.

they did say the the bug where you dock and spawn under the map was fixed. it happened to me 4/5 times i docked sooooooooooo.

That's weird it wasn't happening to me, I wasn't spawning under the map when I docked. It was more like, after running a short time I'll just fall endlessly

be grateful that you can play a long lost game for free on someone else's dime,
I would be VERY grateful to be able to play the game - but that's the problem! I can't even get into the game to play it! I have tried in two different time slots now and still cannot access the game. I did not expect the game to be polished and flawless--I understand what "beta" means. But the problems with this game are WAY beyond what should be happening in beta. I think the game has been rushed to be released along with the movie, when it is in no way ready to be released.

I know the servers are probably on overload. I know the devs have worked hard on this. I know they want our gratitude, not our complaints. But they have to know that when a game like this is hyped the way this has been hyped, people get excited and come with certain expectations. I'm sure no one came expecting a perfect game. But surely we can come expecting to at least play a little, can't we?? When you can't even enter into the game, the issues are more serious than just a few "bugs" and "glitches."

Those of us who played and loved this game in the past want nothing more than for the devs to be successful in their work. We DO appreciate all they have accomplished so far. And most of us will hang on and try to wait for things to get resolved. But please don't expect us to just sit here clicking "ok" a thousand times with nothing happening and watching our time tick away and not express our frustration.

I would be VERY grateful to be able to play the game - but that's the problem! I can't even get into the game to play it! I have tried in two different time slots now and still cannot access the game. I did not expect the game to be polished and flawless--I understand what "beta" means. But the problems with this game are WAY beyond what should be happening in beta. I think the game has been rushed to be released along with the movie, when it is in no way ready to be released.

I know the servers are probably on overload. I know the devs have worked hard on this. I know they want our gratitude, not our complaints. But they have to know that when a game like this is hyped the way this has been hyped, people get excited and come with certain expectations. I'm sure no one came expecting a perfect game. But surely we can come expecting to at least play a little, can't we?? When you can't even enter into the game, the issues are more serious than just a few "bugs" and "glitches."

Those of us who played and loved this game in the past want nothing more than for the devs to be successful in their work. We DO appreciate all they have accomplished so far. And most of us will hang on and try to wait for things to get resolved. But please don't expect us to just sit here clicking "ok" a thousand times with nothing happening and watching our time tick away and not express our frustration.
I have no issues with this. You aren't being negative and demanding. I know the frustration, many of us are feeling it. I'm sure these issues are frustrating the staff as much as they bother some of us, maybe more so. We will just have to be patient :) Thanks for your response <3 :)

Back