IN RETROSPECT: Then and Now

Just last week was the one year anniversary of POTCO's announced closure; 8/20/14. The events that unfolded on this day would forever impact our lives. One of the most crucial and important pieces of our lives - for many of us - was about to be ripped from us and torn to shreds at the hands of its creator, Disney.

We all knew this closure was inevitable, however nothing could have prepared any of us for the real thing. The last few years of the game's life saw a massive deterioration in content and customer support, not to mention hacking and exploitation due to player boredom. In 2012, we saw an entire year without any new updates, and what time elapsed in 2013 was no different. The game was on its unfortunate deathbed; those running DIMG had failed to harness and channel POTCO's potential, and instead had abandoned and neglected it.

Many of us had years devoted into this game and consequently a distinguished sense of sentimentality for our beloved pirates. The bitter truth was that Disney did not. They had other business prospects to bolster their gains, which would lead to our demise.

That fateful day in August of 2013 engulfed us all in mixed emotions: sorrow, frustration, anger, vengeance, hopelessness... All that we had worked for was being taken away from us. Friends and guilds would be separated. Hard work and dedication completely disparaged and rendered pointless.

From a personal standpoint, I was incredulous and kept questioning myself whether or not that red banner was real or not on the POTCO website. I could not form anything coherent at the time to respond to it. My mind froze for a few hours; I was in shock. It did not take a very long time for myself to realize that this was truly happening, and my emotions were relentless as a response.

On February 18, 2008, I created my pirate John Foulroberts. Little did I know that I would become highly involved in the community and meet people that would truly change my life. I prided myself in the community by releasing videos, creating graphics, hosting events, moderating fan-sites, and a myriad of other positions. I found my home in 2012 with the Dark Archive where I met so many brilliant individuals. I was (and still am) entirely devoted to the community. This game was not just a game for me - it was a way of life and it contributed a lot to my current character I possess today. It truly was difficult to cope with one of my passions being mercilessly torn away from me.

A year after this announcement - a very difficult year, might I add - I've been able to regain my footing elsewhere. RIFT has been one of the main games on my plate, which I play alongside @Kat Five Knives who has loyally stood beside me through thick and thin for the past few years. We also are getting our feet wet in the beta events in ArcheAge. Additionally, we both run a Minecraft server (which you can check out here).

Aside from games, I just recently picked up an IT job within the local school system which I have been enjoying. I still dabble in graphics design from time to time when I have a spare moment - I've almost been a designer for five years now. Back in April I also built my own gaming machine - dubbed "The Bumblebee" - which I pride myself over. I feel comfortable with my current occupation and hobbies, but I still feel like a part of me is missing at times. I miss Pirates.

Every now and again I'll stumble across some old screenshots, video footage, or even a game soundtrack and my emotions will completely overcome me. It depends on my mood - sometimes I'm stoic about it, other times even the thought of Pirates hits me like a sack of bricks.

With all of my rambling taken care of, I would like to use this thread as a sort of "diary" to log your feelings and remember our beloved game. How did you react to the fateful August 20th announcement? Where are you today? What was your Pirates life like?

Ahoy John!

Ugh, its heartbreaking to even think about that day, and to even try and remember what was happening.

Well, here is my backstory:
I created my pirate Samuel Cannonskull sometime in 2011. I had just fininshed watching POTC: At World's End. And let me completely honest, I am a very big Pirates Of The Caribbean fan along with a big Johnny Depp fan as well. Me being so obsessed with the movies, I had to go online and search for a game that was if not, something that came close to POTC. So I found POTCO and starting playing it. For some reason, my heart and mind just completely left it for about a year and a half or two and then I finally came back to play the game probably around mid 2012. I was really doing my best to level my pirate, and things have been going well :). I was a ver big SVS fan,and before the game closed I was a Lv32 I believe and was ALMOST and admiral.

So anyways, I played the game until the final date, although one thing that really got me irritated was that I had messed up the closing dates and I though that I would have another two days to play until the closing date, but unfortunately I read it wrong and then the next day, which was the closing date, I was not able to for reasons that I did not go online, and the day after, I realized that I had missed the closing date by a day ;( and that is something I fully regret. :(

Then, I found out about these forums :D which I am happy and glad to be on and apart of.

Although I would have to say, something that still haunts me to this day was that I WAS NOT able to get ANY screenshots of my pirate as well as screenshots of the game etc. :(

Last edited:
...I would like to use this thread as a sort of "diary" to log your feelings and remember our beloved game. How did you react to the fateful August 20th announcement? Where are you today? What was your Pirates life like?
Never considering myself much of a "gamer," POTCO did in fact change all of that for me. And while this may come off as sounding stupid, I don't think I will ever consider playing another online game again ('yes,' it became that important to me).

For what it is worth, my life as a pirate :flag: began as a kid; a "kid" whom, by circumstance, found his way skipping across the property of Disneyland.

KIUY.jpg

It was there at that particular stage in my life when nothing else mattered. To be perfectly honest, I rode the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride as much as I could and you know what? I was perfectly content.

As an adult, POTCO permitted me to relive the memory of that experience. :piratemickey: And while although the kitchen table (where I sat oftentimes to play POTCO) differed drastically compared to the POTC ride itself, I nevertheless was taken back to that childhood experience again where nothing else really mattered to me except for being "that" pirate.

Today, although I haven't entirely let go of the connections I do have with the ex-POTCO community, deep down...within my heart...I understand now that with some things in life, it's too late to begin again.

~ Someday, maybe I'll encounter that special feeling again that POTCO had brought to me. However and for now, I place my hope in the fact that the community will endure on (regardless of the 'trends' experienced today leading into tomorrow). :D

The announcement of the closing of POTCO is one of those "Where were you when you heard the news" moments. I had just begun a new job at a new school and I was in a faculty meeting when the text arrived. I was in shock. I didn't hear a word that was said after that.. I could only endure the meeting and fight back the tears of the inevitable.

I remember the very first few minutes I played POTCO. I was on the 'old' Port Royal. My only other experience with online gaming was ToonTown, so I had an idea of what a quest was, a friends list, and chat. I was completely clueless about what a guild was or a crew. I declined all requests for friends, guilds, and crews as I was unsure of what I would be agreeing to do. After the initial jail break and beginning tutorial (thanks for showing me how to use a sword Will Turner), I made my first kill in Port Royal's graveyard. Encouraged by my progress, I trotted cautiously down the hill. I stopped to eye gypsy Lucinda's wares, but could not afford her high prices. On down the hill I traversed until coming to some Navy soldiers standing at their posts guarding the archway leading to a mercantile area. After a brief encounter with my sword, I leveled up. Others were running here and there. Some had custom names and others had pre-built names. When I was given my first ship and made that maiden voyage to the Anvil, I knew I had stumbled on something special. Before long, I discovered how fun it was to be a part of a guild, to experience those successes and failures together, and to look forward to seeing and chatting with them every day. After Boss (Jason Firewalker) and I created the Dark Archive, members discovered that the guild was a stable, well run and organized guild for which there were structured rules to make their game play fun and enjoyable. It grew by leaps and bounds. We were fortunate to attract some amazingly talented officers such as JFR (@John Foulroberts ), Charles (@Charles Warmonk ), Big Rich (@Rich Fireskull ), Drew ( @Drewski0199 ), William (@William Foulbutler ), Red Beard (@DA Red Beard ), _/\==;0` (@Jim Hexskull ), Des (@Destroyer Maniac Revenge ), Ben (@Benjamin Ironbutler ) Ben Gunn, Kitty, and SOO SO SO MANY OTHERS I wish I had the time and space to name. Many of our officers have gone on to become web developers, game designers, writers, programmers, and other successful careers. Some are still finishing up school but one thing I know about so many of our members is that they are successful, considerate, and driven individuals who found a home with like-minded people.

That was then.

Now is still being written. I retired from teaching in 2011 but have resumed in another state. Currently I'm substituting and have been pleasantly surprised by the current position I am filling for a teacher on maternity leave. Believe it or not, it's POSSIBLE to have a well organized, controlled, and stable learning environment in a middle school (this was news to me). I'm actually considering applying for a position here should one open up. Game wise JFR (@John Foulroberts ) and I consistently play Rift and are looking forward to the launch of Archeage, which we have been playing pre-release.

I don't know what the future holds but I do know that I was forever and always changed for the better by knowing and running the DA guild on POTCO. It was a privilege to know those people and no matter where life takes them, they will always reside in my heart.

Kat

Last edited:
Were to begin, my online gaming experience start with Toontown were I was a max Toon who soon after maxing (111 laff) was fishing. I spent hours, days, weeks fishing on POTCO on a small 4 person fishing pod. I had only 2 'real' friends on the game and helped them both max. One of them moved onto a game named POTCO (It was fate...) that 2 months after she had told me. I actually move out of my award winning fishing clothing on Toontown and jump on POTCO! To soon fill in Zombie Pirate Boots. Just 3 months before they updated to the dreaded new body types *Skin crawls* When Charles Warmonk was born, I believe this was on 9/26/08.

I started my crew and ended up mastering on 3/30/09. Upon my leaving I came back to the game were loot was out and as I killed a bat on Cuba a loot pouch dropped. I went up to it and whispered to a friend "OMG A BAT JUST DROPPED A BAG TP!!!" That friend later unfriended me... of what I will admit was my most "noobish" moment in the game... >.<!

My first guild S.P.A.R.T.A.N.S guild which I was Co-Gm of with 500 guildmate's GM got hacked and was destroyed. I went onto the wiki were @John Foulroberts had muttered the words "Dark Archive" which I later Left a message on his wall to join the guild. I won't lie, when I heard the LONG list of rules and saw the chat on Dark Archive the first day my exact thoughts were, "What did I sign up for. 0_0..." Later on I began to learn names and help many pirates in the guild level, quest and the infamous looting. Although we all did not see eye to eye on the 'looting topic' we never fought about it :) - Soon after I was told my name had been said frequently the first 2 months in the officer meetings for a promotion. I was told by Cougar @Kat Five Knives that I would be a officer by now due to the guild vote however, they have a rule of 3 months requirement before promotion. I felt extremely and utterly underqualified for a promotion (Due to my countless spelling, grammar and experience in guilds) However, just 30 short days later I was attending a official promotion event which I was promoted to Veteran. Upon many MANY mistakes and memorizing rule after rule quizzing myself in real life. Even with the help from @John Foulroberts @William Foulbutler and mostly @Kat Five Knives together. They finally bashed the rules into my tick pirate skull chest. >.<

After words, I became GREATLY attached to the guild to the point I would just TP to friends and talk to on guild chat and joke around. I have so many memorizes from Dark Archive if I listed anymore I would get banned from 'over posting'. The greatest moment I had in POTCO was started by my worst. The termination of Charles Warmonk. Despite being a level 1, new body. Dark Achive with open arms welcomed me back and helped me level and did not care for my level nor inventory. </3 I felt so touched what would have been my last day on POTCO turned out to be my best. Coming back home to my amazing family <3 I level and ever surpassed JFR clothing inventory in the very short time I had my new Charles Warmonk.

I am active everyday for Dark Archive and the POTCO community and am planning to do some gaming events on Mindcraft, LOTRO and the forums soon. However, I will always love everyone in Dark Archive for being there for me <3

My first Dark Archive Party! :) Cougar and John left before the picture >:p

DABall.png

POTCO is a larger part of my life than I realize at times. It drives who I am today and made me what I am today and although to thenoutside world no one will truly understand why it was so dear and not just something so simple as a reason as "it was our childhood", it molded me into the person I am today. During the duration in which I began POTCO, my family had just begun what would be a long journey away from familiar territory venturing into tough terrain that would lead into what in general molded who I am today, what I consider a " Dark Age" for myself and the rest of my family. We were prepared to move put to Los Angeles, California in 2011 I believe where troubles would constantly be knocking at our door and through it all I found salvation through POTCO and playing my heart on it with the various adventures I had as a role player. If it were not for my passion in playing the game I may not be typing what is being typed now or have even joined the Forums. Eventually I found others on POTCO that could relate with my troubles and I would re emerge confident in the world. POTCO eventually led me to meeting many of the people I'm closest to now on the interwebs who everyday help me through my day when necessary and aid me with problems I don't have any clue how to handle (Especially tricky ones involving the most powerful force that drives us, love). I thank POTCO for what it gave me and what it has made me, and while I still have a long ways to go at least I came out a better person than I used to be or could have been. Many don't realize what they have until they lose it and in the past months after its closing I came to this realization.

In a mere two days, the date that devastated us all a year ago will be upon us...

I've already been getting emotional this past week, recalling my pirate and past events with friends. I miss the game and everyone that I met so much, and it's depressing to think that some of them I will never see or speak to again.

"I hope you had the time of your life..."
I most certainly did have "the time of my life." In fact, as stated on my original post, it changed my life for the better. POTCO was just one of those games that is irreplaceable, no matter how hard someone tries to replicate it. It will never be the same.

In a mere two days, the date that devastated us all a year ago will be upon us...

I've already been getting emotional this past week, recalling my pirate and past events with friends. I miss the game and everyone that I met so much, and it's depressing to think that some of them I will never see or speak to again.

I most certainly did have "the time of my life." In fact, as stated on my original post, it changed my life for the better. POTCO was just one of those games that is irreplaceable, no matter how hard someone tries to replicate it. It will never be the same.
I have to many friends to list who I'll never see again... </3

I am just thankful that you, @Kat Five Knives, @Mark Scurvyfox, @MikeCooky, @Captain Rai, @Jonah Warwrecker, @>.<Kat>.<, are still here for me to the end as well as the whole Forums community. All I have to say is...

Thank you to the bottom of my pirate heart. <3

Last edited:
Back