Suggestion Increase ship slot count

I like this restriction actually. It adds more depth to an otherwise very linear game. In POTCO/TLOPO a pirate can pretty much specialize in everything, to be the best at everything. No pirate specializes in any one area, because you can specialize in them all. Ships right now is pretty much the ONLY way for a pirate to specialize in anything, it makes you choose between classes of ships because you cannot have them all. (It would be even better to have 3 or 4 more ship classes to even further this specialization between pirates IMO)

However, if TLOPO doesn't plan on adding ways to specialize in any other way (such as weapon classes - ex: specializing in sabre over cutlass making sabre do more damage - or something similar) it is really out of place in the game and perhaps they should just add a 4th slot for sheer consistency sake. Even though it leads to less replayablity, roleplaying, specialization, etc.

I like this restriction actually. It adds more depth to an otherwise very linear game. In POTCO/TLOPO a pirate can pretty much specialize in everything, to be the best at everything. No pirate specializes in any one area, because you can specialize in them all. Ships right now is pretty much the ONLY way for a pirate to specialize in anything, it makes you choose between classes of ships because you cannot have them all. (It would be even better to have 3 or 4 more ship classes to even further this specialization between pirates IMO)

However, if TLOPO doesn't plan on adding ways to specialize in any other way (such as weapon classes - ex: specializing in sabre over cutlass making sabre do more damage - or something similar) it is really out of place in the game and perhaps they should just add a 4th slot for sheer consistency sake. Even though it leads to less replayablity, roleplaying, specialization, etc.

This is a point I understand but I feel it only works in games where you need multiple people in different specializations to accomplish stuff.

In other MMO games for example you would create "raid parties" that require different kinds of characters. Tanks, DPS, and healers, for example. The specialization here is important, players complement each other, and fill in various roles to get the job done.

However, sailing in TLOPO doesn't require that at all. Any ship can, realistically speaking, accomplish any role. And there's little team-play on the seas, and when there is it basically doesn't matter what ship anyone is using.

For that reason I don't think the typical specialization arguments apply in this case.

I don't agree with this reasoning. What if you had to choose three weapon types and couldn't carry any others until you got rid of one? Why does this logic apply to ships but not everything else?

Besides, we don't have to give up anything if we use multiple pirates. But a lot of us don't find the concept of multiple pirates any fun.
That's correct, by having two or more pirates you don't have to give up having a ship, but you do have to put in the work to level up a character and get enough gold to buy the ship, something which would be much easier on a character which is already level 50.

Secondly, there are many more categories of weapon/other skill than there are types of ships, even more if you count the different variations within each type (like within the Sword category there is sabre, cutlass, and broadsword) so a limit of 3 types of weapons at once would be much more restrictive than simply not allowing one pirate to own one extra ship.

That's correct, by having two or more pirates you don't have to give up having a ship, but you do have to put in the work to level up a character and get enough gold to buy the ship, something which would be much easier on a character which is already level 50.

Secondly, there are many more categories of weapon/other skill than there are types of ships, even more if you count the different variations within each type (like within the Sword category there is sabre, cutlass, and broadsword) so a limit of 3 types of weapons at once would be much more restrictive than simply not allowing one pirate to own one extra ship.

So why not allow us to have extra ship slots on the same character if we put in the work for it? (A quest, fee, etc)

As for your second point, you're right, but don't use my exact number as the end-all argument. What if you could hold 4/6, or 5/6 of the weapons? Then it's more or less the same level of restrictiveness.

So why not allow us to have extra ship slots on the same character if we put in the work for it? (A quest, fee, etc)

As for your second point, you're right, but don't use my exact number as the end-all argument. What if you could hold 4/6, or 5/6 of the weapons? Then it's more or less the same level of restrictiveness.
Simply paying a bit of gold or doing a quest is not nearly equivalent to the work of making a new pirate and leveling it up to get the ship. This is especially true when some people in this thread have asked for up to EIGHT ship slots.

To the restrictions on the weapons, I would actually not be opposed to having a limit on how many different types of weapons one could hold at once, especially as a supporter of a banking system. Those two possibilities pair together perfectly.

Simply paying a bit of gold or doing a quest is not nearly equivalent to the work of making a new pirate and leveling it up to get the ship. This is especially true when some people in this thread have asked for up to EIGHT ship slots.

To the restrictions on the weapons, I would actually not be opposed to having a limit on how many different types of weapons one could hold at once, especially as a supporter of a banking system. Those two possibilities pair together perfectly.

Depends what the fee is. Ship materials? And quests can be absurdly long and difficult.

Would you be opposed to a ship "banking" system then? You could store extra ships, and pay a fee to swap them out. I'd be content with paying 10k or so, maybe even 20k, to switch out ships.

I personally don't really care how difficult it is to get these extra ships, I just don't want to only have access to them on another character.

Depends what the fee is. Ship materials? And quests can be absurdly long and difficult.

Would you be opposed to a ship "banking" system then? You could store extra ships, and pay a fee to swap them out. I'd be content with paying 10k or so, maybe even 20k, to switch out ships.

I personally don't really care how difficult it is to get these extra ships, I just don't want to only have access to them on another character.
Actually yes. I would actually like to have a ship banking system where you would have to pay a hefty fee, such as the 10-20 thousand or more, to switch out ships. This would make it so that you would definitely have to give up something to have multiple ships, and switching them out more frequently than necessary would end up costing quite a bit.

I'll save your reply so that I can refer to it if this discussion ever comes up in any other threads :)

also a salty member sent me a pm about this just now lol

Back