ipv6 change confirmed

maillon

Honorable Pirate
Interesting thing happened to me a week ago,
I was setting up a static local IP address on one of my Raspberry Pi's which I use for webhosting, databases, etc,
I set the eth0 settings to dhcp to troubleshoot some bug it was having, and checked my router to see all the assigned addresses. Cool thing is, it didn't get an ipv4 address anymore. It was only assigned an ipv6 one. So I guess they actually ran out of Ipv4 addresses that day, interesting thing to think about lads ^^ the change is coming! :)

I don't think the IPv4 address space is completely depleted yet, but I know it's definitely reaching its maximum ceiling. If you have a newer router, chances are its DHCP defaults to v6 instead of v4. Or, if you have a newer Pi it might specifically be requesting a v6 address. I definitely see an influx in v6 usage as more and more devices work to move toward its adoption.

I dread the day where IPv6 becomes the universal norm. IP addressing is going to be a logical nightmare. Hexadecimal might yield more address space, but decimal is always superior for human interpretation.

yes, I like ipv4 because right now I can just memorise all the addresses in my local network, when ipv6 takes over completely there will be no use for those anymore and they might get deleted completely, meaning we will have to use ipv6 for our home networks aswell, I'm definetly with you on that one. Also, that's the interesting part :) my router gives all my devices ipv4 and ipv6 addresses, and the pi is only a pi2 which requested an ipv4 address at my previous house when it got first installed using the same router, so the actual cause was that the ipv4 addresses had run out on that specific day. :) I don't really fear ipv6 changes for the internet and the IoE since for those appliances most of us use NoIP services anyway, im just concerned for my home network since ipv4 will probably get thrown out to save some memory...

Yea, currently my company makes use of dual-stacking so usually externally you'll see our IPv6 address but man, I can't ever see us using IPv6 within the network primarly especially with how we remote into computers... the IP address to remote in to a computer would take forever to type in lol

Yea, currently my company makes use of dual-stacking so usually externally you'll see our IPv6 address but man, I can't ever see us using IPv6 within the network primarly especially with how we remote into computers... the IP address to remote in to a computer would take forever to type in lol
haha yeah, I hear you man :p but I can imagine the big companies like cisco or others to just stop supporting ipv4 on their devices in the future, forcing us to start using ipv4 inside. The change will be horrific, however we will probably find a way to make it easier, like just put all the inside IPs in a database with the corresponding name. I'm already doing that for my ipv4's since someone replaces me in the company when I'm on holiday. So he doesn't have to look at all the configurations haha :)

There is no reason for a local network to use ipv6 seeing as that you will never run out of ipv4 addresses in say a house.. Or a business. It is just never going to happen on a closed network. I softmodded 2 original Xbox's in the last 5 days. One of the mods failed because i picked the wrong color output, but it is usable. I used FTP on both of them, and my network assigned the consoles their own IP addresses in correct numerical order. It is highly likely that there was a fluke with some of your hardware where it thought your Pi wanted an ipv6 address.

I was setting up a static local IP address on one of my Raspberry Pi's which I use for webhosting, databases, etc,
I set the eth0 settings to dhcp to troubleshoot some bug it was having, and checked my router to see all the assigned addresses. Cool thing is, it didn't get an ipv4 address anymore. It was only assigned an ipv6 one. So I guess they actually ran out of Ipv4 addresses that day, interesting thing to think about lads ^^ the change is coming! :)

Congratulations, we ran out of IPv4 addresses 4 years ago, up-to-date information? :D

Edit: Or IPv6 was LAUNCHED 4 years ago? I don't remember, I've never had much interest in networks, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, we ran out of IPv4 addresses 4 years ago, up-to-date information? :D

Edit: Or IPv6 was LAUNCHED 4 years ago? I don't remember, I've never had much interest in networks, lol.
Congratulations, your edit was more "up-to-date" haha :p

I edit my posts ALOT. :D
haha it happens man :) from what I know; ipv6 has been launched, idk when, dates dont really matter much so I never tend to care about them if they're in the past. But it isn't really used yet since on a normal day there are enough ipv4 addresses to hand out, but, on that particular day we had ran out, that's what I was suggesting, I need to make my posts a bit clearer I think but I like to beat around the bush :p anyway, it COULD have another cause, but this seems unlikely to me since I had done this exact thing many times before and it never ONLY got an ipv6 address :) always both.

haha it happens man :) from what I know; ipv6 has been launched, idk when, dates dont really matter much so I never tend to care about them if they're in the past. But it isn't really used yet since on a normal day there are enough ipv4 addresses to hand out, but, on that particular day we had ran out, that's what I was suggesting, I need to make my posts a bit clearer I think but I like to beat around the bush :p anyway, it COULD have another cause, but this seems unlikely to me since I had done this exact thing many times before and it never ONLY got an ipv6 address :) always both.

As I said, I'm not much in-depth with networks, so feel free to correct. People have both IPv4 and IPv6 (dual-stack) for compatibility reasons, so that should mean you can't establish a connection with some servers, therefore, can't visit some pages, or play some of the online games. Do you have such problems so far?

In the end, I may be mistaken, I prefer (system) programming, computer architecture and systems. Networking is something I will study in the late future.

As I said, I'm not much in-depth with networks, so feel free to correct. People have both IPv4 and IPv6 (dual-stack) for compatibility reasons, so that should mean you can't establish a connection with some servers, therefore, can't visit some pages, or play some of the online games. Do you have such problems so far?

In the end, I may be mistaken, I prefer (system) programming, computer architecture and systems. Networking is something I will study in the late future.

Haven't had no such issues yet :) but I use it as a webserver anyway with noIP TCP so quite naturally no issues :p

If anyone is interested in learning networking I would start with learning NAT and then messing around with simple telnet messages between local machines. Networking is possibly one of my favorite topics within Computer Science so if you have any questions about it or need help troubleshooting send me a message!

It is just a cheap Linux computer that has a few general purpuse input output connectors as well. It is convenient for doing simple stuff or learning Linux machines.

IPv4 is essentially a 32 bit number, which has approximately 4.3 billion values. While the space is cramped, I doubt it's depleted, but the burden, as always, is on the ISPs, and IPv6 is a 128 bit number, which should give us enough room for devices until the sun engulfs this planet in the next 4 billion or so years.

Back