Is Disney Telling the Truth?

Is Disney Telling the Truth?

• Total voters

Chris Deckskull

Buccaneer
Whenever I found out POTCO was closing, I checked the FAQ for why. But along with POTCO 3 other games were closed, and the FAQ on that had the SAME REASON for why it's closing. Are they telling the truth?

Truth or spin? Basically they lost money on certain game types and are trying new game types that match the new devices and are cheaper to make.

What-Lies-Within-Us.jpg
All I can say is that quotes like the above ^ used to mean something more to me!
:xbones:
(Nowadays, since the 'Pearl' of the Caribbean has been taken away from us,...
mouse-helmet.jpg

...the 'what lies within us' part of the quote refers to the cheese that Disney seeks to enjoy only for themselves - while the rest of us try to stomach our own hardships). :mad:

I doubt this was an abrupt decision. Thats why they gave out the Heart of Padres, and the other code-word items. They new they were losing money and were going to have to shut down, they just used the Padres invasions as one last ditch effort to see if tgey could pull it off, but they didnt. We had over 200,000 players, and disney still closed it down? I think Disney knew and/or planned this for +7 months.My friend told me in, oh... Early August? That thwy were going to shut down potco. He gave me a list of reasons.. And i believed him. So he went to Abassa Tortuga and told the pirates there. He called me 2 days later... Saying he was banned for " harrasing players " how he knew tgis idk... He might have been lying... But if he wasnt....I used to be a big fan of Disney. Now i absolutely hate them AND TO BELIEVE that George Lucas sold the Star Wars franchise to them... I fear they might do the same thing. I see it now...
" Why did you get rid of the Star Wars franchise?!"
" Oh, because we ONLY made $4.8 billion. So we have decided to move on to other things; like a sequel to Nemo."

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt POTCO had 200,000 players... maybe they were 200,000 inactives. My rough estimate was always about 3k-5k playing. But anyways.... I remember I kept saying the game would shut down this year as well (probably jinxed it), just never really believed it. It wasn't a big shock to me though, I don't know why. I guess it's because I've been in the same situation before. Whatever their motives were though, they had to inform us much earlier than only a month.

And just to comment on the real topic of this thread, in my opinion there's 2 aspects.

First, I highly doubt they were being completely nonchalant and impassive in real life. Let's not forget they were the ones who had the power to control things, I'm sure they knew that. Probably they were forced to end the game because of the expenses. Expenses for updates... expenses for staff... expenses for advertising etc. Yes Disney is a big company, but from a business aspect its easier to just terminate something than spend thousands without statistic proof its going to be successful.

Secondly, ''Is Disney Telling the Truth?''. In my opinion they never really ''lied''. They just hid stuff from us, and they still have right to do that - to some extent. Yes they have to keep their customers informed and updated and that's one of their biggest mistakes because this is how someone fails in the business market, but still...

The whole FAQ had many gaps in my opinion, even the reason of shut down was very uncertain and barely mentioned from their side, so they focused on answering Questions about credit cards and refunds instead.

I don't think they were telling the truth and never will until they become an honest company or are at least somewhat cleansed if that ever is realistic. It's business and they will lie as long as they want. They closed because they screwed themselves with game marketing and developing and lost money afterwards. Instead of possibly making more than Club Penguin with the three MMOs, more so TT and POTCO, they instead decided Club Penguin cuteness was better off. I distributed the game to my cousins across the age spectrum in a foreign country (Colombia) and they aren't as big fans of POTC as I am but they liked it. They found it fun and likely would have played it if Disney made a better effort. Disney instead figured Club Penguin being cheap to manage and cheap to develop with pofits they can haul in by loads bigger than the Oasis of the Seas, why not just kill them off and use Club Penguin. While the original FAQs does state that they closed because of Club Penguin, they will never further explain into depth why.

Disney's Club Penguin is a joke. My friend used to play it, but he swapped over to POTCO. Now that Disney closed down POTCO, he doesnt even play club penguin. I mean c'mon. Disney is making stuff to how they are popular at what time. For instance, about 5 years ago pirates was what everyone talked about. The reason they stuck to club penguin is guess why, anime and cartoons are big. When we all start talking about potatos as we do Hunger Games... They will probably make a build-your-own potato game. Disney ( at least, the gaming branch ) are just ruthless; they make people fall in loce with games only to go: "We are closing the game because we are looking elsewhere. Thanks for your support! "
I seriously dont think I have EVER heard a goodbye/thank you as cheesy as this. This is truly the cheesiest you can get.

Back