Question Leveling tips/tricks

Old Hickory

Swashbuckler
Is reputation gain still based on how long it takes to kill something? I.e., if I'm hacking away at a level 30 with a crude sword, will it give me more reputation as opposed to killing it quicker with a better weapon?

Thanks,

Depends on your pirate's notoriety level, let's say your notoriety level is 30 you won't get as much rep as to let's say being level 20, also it depends on how many skill points you use for let's say a skill like sweep at rank 5 it'll do more damage so less rep, the higher attack the weapon has the less time it'll take to kill an enemy combined with your notoriety and how many skill points are added to each skill

There are other factors (such as notoriety level), but the main thing is it depends on how many times you hit your target. The more hits (ie the less damage you do per hit), the more rep you gain. This is why putting skill points into your weapons results in less rep - because you kill them in fewer hits.

Additionally not every hit is the same. For example, a thunderbolt cannonball hit gives you more rep than a round shot cannonball hit, regardless of damage. Blade storm gives you more rep than a slash. I even think they made it so a slash on a cutlass gives you more rep than a cut on a rapier (rapier is faster and less damaging, so they made it less rep per hit).

But you also receive diminishing returns on each hit (past a certain point), until eventually it stops giving you rep. Around 115 base (before bonuses) rep per enemy per weapon used seems to be the max. If you're getting over 100 base rep per enemy, you're actually not being very efficient, as it's fastest to have a constant stream of 80-100 base rep per enemy. This of course requires you to always have an enemy available to you, which often isn't the case (respawn times).

To add to Sky Kiwi's explanation: dagger generally needs more hits than sword, so you get more rep. I found this out when checking rep gains on Outcast, where I liked to park between voyages to level up various weapons.

One general tip as you approach the max of 30 is to save the dagger level up for last. That way you gain more rep for achieving level 50 when your other weapons are already maxed.

Another tip for level up a doll over 25 is to board a flagship alone and kill all the navy, generally 12-15 guys. It's not hard if you do the "doll dance" of circling around while remaining attuned. I've gotten 1,000 doll rep that way in one boarding.

Back