Suggestion Make Broadsides Dumb-Fire

thehappybub

Wanted Pirate
I've been getting pretty annoyed with the terrible aim of the broadsides recently. I understand that it shoots where it thinks the closest enemy ship it is targeting will be in the near future, but it miscalculates and fires off into water probably more than half the time. This is especially true of hunters which sometimes do that little speed up slow down thing to catch up with the ship they're following. The sudden changes in speed completely confuse broadsides.

My proposition is instead of trying to fix all this, which probably involves tweaking how hunters go hypersonic, why not just make the broadsides fire dumb-fire in an arc which you can aim (just like in Assassin's Creed Black Flag) ... or some system similar to that. This system (1) doesn't require any predication calculations, (2) allows more control over where the cannons fire (so tat broadsides won't shoot a ship you didn't want to accidentally), (3) will prevent the broadsides from doing weird stuff like firing backwards or through the ship, (4) make sailing a little more skill-based so that practice and aiming actually pay off in getting hits.

Of course if fixing the aiming prediction is easier than implementing this, that would be cool too.

i dont think its too feasable to make it AC BF style. I think if broad sides always shoot straight perpendicular to the ship is best. Instead of the broadside ai thinking horizontally to aim, let it only to vertical aim.

i dont think its too feasable to make it AC BF style. I think if broad sides always shoot straight perpendicular to the ship is best. Instead of the broadside ai thinking horizontally to aim, let it only to vertical aim.

I like this idea of only keeping it vertical aiming and otherwise it just shooting straight. That's actually kind of better than the AC BF idea.

Nothing but a bug or maybe two going on with broadsides. Dumb fire is a bad idea. Broadsides work perfectly most of the time for me and for the most part I feel those that keep asking for dumb fire are doing so because they are not good at aiming and don’t care to take the time to learn. It is true that there is at least one bug that causes backfires and wrong side shots but that is certainly not a good reason to abandon the whole broadsides mechanism that’s been in place at least since 2010, I’ve forgotten how it was pre 2010 but I suspect it was the same then too. You should expect that an aggro ship will be more difficult to hit, I know some will say that’s not the problem. Of course if they do wrongly adopt dumb fire I will adapt, rolls eyes. I’m 100% certain that dumb fire will reduce my kill rate by a lot but I love the sailing aspect of this game and hope to be able to play for some time to come.

work perfectly most of the time
You gotta teach me what you're doing because they go off in some weird direction 1/2 to 3/4ths of the time.

those that keep asking for dumb fire are doing so because they are not good at aiming
This actually makes no sense, dumb fire would require more aiming. You wouldn't get to cheese away by turning your ship like 45 degrees toward an enemy ship following you, and you would be able to control what ship your broadsides hit manually, not just the closest ship.

Last edited:
I feel those that keep asking for dumb fire are doing so because they are not good at aiming
Those that ask for dumb fire broads ask that if they shoot a broadside, the place where the cannon balls end up should depend on their aim and timing, not RNG or whether the game feels like working or not at that time.

The current broadside system is simply bad and hilariously flawed. I can't even imagine how much of a nightmare it must be for the devs to maintain. If not dumb fire, it definitely needs to be heavily tweaked.

Back