Microsoft ends support for Windows 8

• Thread starter Deleted member 4389
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4389

http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/12/mi...-windows-8-old-versions-of-internet-explorer/
Today Microsoft has ended support for Windows 8 as well as Internet Explorer versions 8, 9 and 10.
I personally use Windows 8.1 (which is still supported) myself, seeing as I got use to it (Came pre-installed to my laptop), I have tried Windows 10 my self(the early release) and found myself not getting much progress done, due to the fact Win 10 had some issues (at least for me) being able to connect to my own network properly. I'm not sure weather or not I will switch back to Win 10, but seeing as it now the favorite by Microsoft, I see myself possibly leaning towards it in the near future. In terms of ending support for IE 8,9, and 10...never used it anyway (Chrome/Firefox user).
Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that they're trying to force people to upgrade from dated technology and I do think though some people will stick with their old dated stuff forever and ever (as seen by people STILL running Windows XP) until it dies but I still think that Microsoft is making the right move in cancelling support for Windows 8 and that monster of a browser called IE (In my opinion, the first Windows 8, until 8.1 came out, was just as bad as Windows Vista was when it was released) in hopes of getting people's attention that they need to upgrade. At the end of the day however it will be a pain for some people to actually have to do work on their computers and get them upgraded but it'll be worth it since

1. You're getting to upgrade to the latest Windows OS for free
  2. You're getting to move away from dated software for free
  3. You're helping kill off IE

So once again, I think this is a good move by Microsoft and I hope people actually take heed that their OS will no longer be given support.

( praise the Lord. IE is finally dead )

Last edited:
I agree although the conversion process is annoying but I dont have many complaints regarding win10 I am not fond of the overly prying nature of win10. Comparatively Internet Explorer wasnt all that bad and in some places actually excelled over others. I am glad its dieing though as it isnt very aesthetically pleasing but I really dont have many things against it.

I still have some XP machines.. I use Win 7 on my old gaming rig. To me they are not outdated. They support older software that the "newer and better" operating systems do not. my main pc runs 8.1 Pro, which is great except for the fact that I cannot play certain games due to some things M$ changed for "security" reasons. Nothing wrong with the older ones :). My belief is that Microsoft should lose quite a bit of money and support for what they pulled with Windows 10. Basically forcing people to upgrade to an operating system that actually spies on you (built in keylogger, look it up if ye want ;) ) and if a driver is not officially supported my the OS, Windows 10 will actually uninstall it for you. That is an action that an operating system should never take on its own. Windows as service should die with 10 the previous business model should come back.

As for Internet Explorer.. That is something I am happy about. Not only as a user, but as a potential future web developer. IE supports very little concerning HTML and JavaScript. When making a website nowadays, you actually have to put in alternatives to certain features because IE does not support the standard. That and IE is just not secure. It was always plagued with problems and is quite slow compared to the memory hog that is Firefox.

If I purchase a laptop that has windows 10, I will most likely dual boot windows 7 and 8/8.1 on it instead. I have no use for an operating system that thinks it knows better than I do and thus uninstalls my things without warning and forces unneeded updates on me :)

Not posting to incite an argument, just posting my thoughts on the matter..

That being said.... Death to Internet Explorer! :D:muahaha: :cannon::bang:

My laptop came with w10 although its a new tashiba with 12gig ram. I've only heard people having issues when upgrading but its almost a year since I have it and I have never had a issue with it, also that could mean there PC can't handle it or during the process there was a error. Also if you ever did windows update on windows 10 the new updating screen is epic.

I had windows 8.1 on both my tower and laptop when I built/bought them. I got used to the Start screen but that was the only real hitch I had with it.
Windows 10 however, never again lol. I upgraded both machines and kept it for a long time, past the 1-month point of no return. It kept uninstalling my antivirus software and not letting me manage small details of my computer. I'm a tinkerer and I don't like the word "no" in general, especially from my hardware. e_e Later on I got a virus that was playing advertisements in the background of somewhere, but not in any window or program running. I used a live Linux USB to try and disinfect it, but all it did was remove some parts of Windows 10 that were so sketchy that the scanner considered it a virus (10 is scary how much privacy you don't have). It also failed to remove the virus.
After that ordeal, 10 started up but kept minimizing/maximizing windows everywhere and closing/crashing programs. So not only did I have an ornery OS that I regretted 100%, but it was now partially lobotomized and writhing on the floor, screeching at me while trying to market cold sore cream and The Walking Dead..
So I backed up my files, wiped both machine's hard drive and reinstalled windows 8.1.
Don't get 10. Stick with 8.1, or do what I'm doing (since we're all tech people) and take a more serious look at Linux.

Windows 7 mainstream support ended a year ago in January (I want to say January 13th, 2015, but I'm not sure if that was the date). I remember wanting to go and revert back from 8 to 7 on my Dell. It is still a pain to this day to find a disk without needing to buy it online for >$100.

I like 10, I tried it out during its public beta. However, I'm still a die-hard Windows 7 fan (if I'm forced to use Windows). My typical everyday computer is a Macbook Pro.

Honestly Microsoft for the last couple of years is being terrible... Multiple times I've set the windows updates to OFF, but I still kept getting their updates, which forcefully install win10 on my pc(sometimes unsuccessfully)... It happened couple of times and messed up everything, so that's how I started pirating their OS... No probs anymore!!!! Like, seriously... They sell an OS with the price of a low-end laptop(which is too much, atleast in my country.. and unacceptable for a company with that many users) just to force their new crappy Win10...
Thankfully I use Ubuntu on a partition on my drive and I might switch to it completely until I get my bachelor... And then I'll be able to afford switching to Apple products. I'm not even gaming anymore, I'm only browsing, programming and I sometimes watch videos... And I thought the recent rumour about "Bash coming to Windows" was just for april's fools... This. Decision. Is. Even. Worse. But these articles keep on popping up, so I'm going to assume it's happening...
One day, I'm going to completely switch to Mac OS X and some Linux distribution(cause, why not).... Besides the terminal, if you use it correctly, can be far more useful/faster than clicking, drag and drop etc. I used to defend Microsoft, but I can say, for the last decade, they are rising to the top of the list "one of the worst companies ever"...

Back