Microsoft & Mojang

Is this a good thing?

• Total voters

Sparky Wonderwolf

Site Founder
Credible Source article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/12/us-mojang-microsoft-idUSKBN0H72EV20140912

Recently it has been said Microsoft is offering Mojang 2.5 Billion USD to buy Mojang to possibly further their mobile ambitions. With this in mind what do you think this could mean for the future of Minecraft, and even more so what could this mean for Sponge and the whole Bukkit conflict should (and I'd expect they would) accept Microsoft's offer?

Apologies to Bart for taking thread content but I simply couldnt resist.

It's fine for you to post :p I knew about this for a while but didn't want to post about it because at this point it is still just a rumor. I will wait for official news from either Microsoft or Mojang to fully believe this. Despite the rumor being, well a rumor, it does have a lot of data to back it up. For instance Notch (Markus Persson) usually will comment on Twitter saying the rumors are false very quickly. Notch has done no such thing this time, but has been active on Twitter.

If this does end up being true it most likely will not be good... in the long run. Microsoft is a large successful company they aren't going to buy something for $2.5 billion and then change it drastically right away. If something is successful, why not leave it successful? Anyone with a decent amount of common sense knows that. However, I do see them making small changes over time, that could harm the game.

No one knows what is going to happen. Only Notch, some of Mojang, and some of Microsoft know. We can only hope things will stay as they are, or only get better. Every game/product/thing has it's downfall, this could be it for Minecraft. Or it could be the start of something great. All I know is that the Minecraft community is a great, resourceful community. If this is indeed the downfall of Minecraft, it could be only the beginning of a better game inspired by Minecraft, made by the Minecraft community.

We can only wait and see what will happen. ;)

Minecraft was once considered the best selling "indie" game of all time, and later just the flat out best selling game of all time.

In the short run, as said above, I doubt much will change. It will take time to see the ripples from this decision manifest in a meaningful way to the players, so only time can tell.

I'm not a fan of acquisitions though, I can't recall many that have ended up being beneficial to the customers of the original company. What concerns me is the corporate politics at Microsoft will eventually change the development cycle and direction of the game, and maybe even further adjustments to the already controversial EULA.

Mojang will now, in part, have to answer to Microsoft shareholders, which are generally driven by profit and have little regard for the actual customers.

It'd be a little difficult for anything too bad to happen however, as at the worst case you can run older versions and play on older servers.

Minecraft for this long has pretty much been a self-sustaining community with not much need of "outside intervention" from Mojang outside of Mojang releasing updates obviously and trying to sort out our recent bukkit drama so I'm hoping that Microsoft will hold to the same thing and try to stick with just releasing updates and dealing with some of the community issues such as mainly the recent bukkit drama. It would be great to have that mess finally sorted out.

Also 2.5b is a lot of money to use if you're going to mess up a game so I hope they realize that Minecraft has been working well so far and there's little to no reason to change a formula that has obviously been working to their success.

I'm sure though that those who played this game on Linux/Mac are going to find their support most likely removed due to you know... the game being now owned by Microsoft. I personally hope not but I'm not betting the farm on it staying long/existing at all in future updates.

I think Microsoft's acquisition of Mojang can be beneficial in some ways while negative in others, I could drone on with the negative effects it can and/or will have, which I don't have the time to as I'm attempting to write a novel of a pposal for a site that's once more transitioning out of POTCO era and becoming even more broad. I think though that the acquisition can aid Minecraft in obtaining more funds for anything they see the need for and may have lacked previously as Microsoft has mega funds and mega resources which could very well contribute to it positively. Though I'll give either to the critics, it could also completely kill it off if used incorrectly.

I will wait to see what happens. Again, as I said in my earlier post, anything that happens can only be good in the long run. If Microsoft ruins it, someone will make a new and better game. If they don't well, then...

Maybe Microsoft will finally fix boats. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I do doubt the Mac/Linux versions will be discontinued. The game is developed in Java which is cross-platform and doesn't require much any effort to get up and running on all systems.
What about support for the PS3? Do you think they'll continue that or discontinue it to help give the Xbox an edge over the Playstation? or can they even continue the PS3 without putting too much of their own task forces to continuing support to their rival company's gaming system?

I find this both good and bad. Good mostly because it basically sets the game to no limits financially. But what scares me is what if things go south. For instance, Microsoft owned a company which developed the Flight Simulator series, which was a gigantic success for Microsoft for many years. Back in 2009, Microsoft basically axed the series when the economy went down the drain, which angered many despite its success. What I'm trying to say is that game studios are usually the first things to go for Microsoft when things start to get shaky.

Credible Source article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/12/us-mojang-microsoft-idUSKBN0H72EV20140912

Recently it has been said Microsoft is offering Mojang 2.5 Billion USD to buy Mojang to possibly further their mobile ambitions. With this in mind what do you think this could mean for the future of Minecraft, and even more so what could this mean for Sponge and the whole Bukkit conflict should (and I'd expect they would) accept Microsoft's offer?

Apologies to Bart for taking thread content but I simply couldnt resist.
Bad and good. Bad because a greedy company now will get ahold of a $$$ machine and goooood because a greedy company who has powerful stuff to make wicked swag stuff now has ahold of a awesome game. I think its a good thing c:

Back