Need used laptop. Suggestions?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4389
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4389

Well, randomly (as most pc issues do occur) my Dell Inspiron won't turn on due to hardware failure. I won't be able to open it up and examine the board for a few weeks due to my strenuous university schedule. So that being said, I need a laptop for the next few weeks, which I would like to get around $200 dollars or below (used of course). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on something relatively cheap that will last for a while (more than a week). And if you do have a suggestion it would be great if I could get if off amazon. (I have a gift card). I have multiple considerations, but not sure which brand name to go with.
Thanks so much mates,
-Sam
EDIT: My main usage for it will be for papers and writing code.

As another suggestion, you could also look at Chromebooks... I hear they're good for the type of things you want it to do, but I couldn't say personally since I've never used one.
The problem with Chromebooks is that they're built specifically for light web browsing and nothing else. Plus, ChromeOS is so closed off, oversimplified for power users, and does not support Windows applications. I guarantee that @Black Sam will need to install an IDE or text editing software for his programming.

Chromebooks can be set up to run Linux via crouton but it's a hassle and not really viable as a daily driver.

As far as used laptops, I would recommend Dell Latitude/Precision, or HP EliteBooks/ZBooks (or Thinkpads, but Lenovo hasn't had a good track record with security recently). They're all business-class laptops that were built to last, perfect for writing papers and programming, and can be bought used for pretty cheap. Just don't expect them to play games very well.

why not a mac book? arent most malware made for windows based computers and alot of media/computer software mac friendly? or is computer software-ing still a windows base thing?

why not a mac book? arent most malware made for windows based computers and alot of media/computer software mac friendly? or is computer software-ing still a windows base thing?
Well, Macs are pretty pricy. Usually running around 800 for a cheap, new one. And if its not new, its "open boxed" which is not as safe as buying "seller refurbished"

-EDIT-
The only OS without malware is Linux. And if you turn on MS defender to high, and you dont go to shady websites, you wont be getting any viruses. I havent had one since 2008.

Well, randomly (as most pc issues do occur) my Dell Inspiron won't turn on due to hardware failure. I won't be able to open it up and examine the board for a few weeks due to my strenuous university schedule. So that being said, I need a laptop for the next few weeks, which I would like to get around $200 dollars or below (used of course). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on something relatively cheap that will last for a while (more than a week). And if you do have a suggestion it would be great if I could get if off amazon. (I have a gift card). I have multiple considerations, but not sure which brand name to go with.
Thanks so much mates,
-Sam
EDIT: My main usage for it will be for papers and writing code.

I owned a hp dv7t and loved it! The only issue I had was that it got a little warm after prolong use. I fixed this by getting a fan pad thing to put it on. It was able to handle just everything I could throw at it and it had a decent keyboard that allowed for easy typing. I wouldnt recommend a highs end laptop though because if your gonna spend that kind of money you might as well but a desktop which will outperform any laptop with a similar price tag

Back