Suggestion New skill: Repairing

Fortune Burnrose

Notorious Pirate
Every mini game (except poker) has a progression system. In fishing, you level up to get better fishing poles and catch deeper fish. In Potions, you level up to brew stronger potions. In Cannon Defense, you level up your Navy Cannon to get better ammo. But in repairing... you don't level up at all. Its just the same boring 5 games over and over. So heres my idea:

To unlock repairing you have to visit a shipwright (or perhaps a new npc designed for repairing) and buy a hammer. With your hammer, you can begin repairing ships or earning rep at repair tables with 2 basic repairing challenges: Bilge pumping and Hammering. At level 5, return to the shipwright and upgrade your hammer. This will unlock Hull Bracing and Plank Sawing. At level 10, upgrade your hammer again to unlock Hull Scrubbing and Hull Patching. Let me know what you guys think the level cap should be. I was originally think 20, but then the last 10 levels wouldn't have any sense of progression.

Rep would be rewarded to the player based on how much health the ship gains after each challenge preventing people from letting a sea viper circle around them, shooting forever while the player levels up. Players would not be able to effectively 'grind' Repairing levels unless the ship was constantly being shot at. For this reason, players would be able to repair at the Repair tables found at shipwrights. However, the reputation rewards would be lower as they would no longer be based on how much health the ship regains, and rather on how quickly you complete each challenge.

Pros:
You have something to do even if all the cannons are taken.
New content!
Potentially less people afk while sailing.
More reasons to go sailing.

Cons:
People may find it boring just as they did with potions.
Repairing may not be as much fun to level as other skills.

Reactions: Avb
I think people are going to afk no matter what you do, it's just they are lazy and dont want to kill anything they would rather have other people do all the work. I dont think it will make a difference in that at all. I think it would be just a boring and repetitive like potion making, it would be another thing that people would never level up.

The only thing i think that they should do is people that do a majority of the repairing should be rewarded extra at the end of a run. If its exp, money or whatever, because there are a lot of the time where i am the only one that repairs out of a full crew or i spend an entire time repairing.

I think people are going to afk no matter what you do, it's just they are lazy and dont want to kill anything they would rather have other people do all the work. I dont think it will make a difference in that at all. I think it would be just a boring and repetitive like potion making, it would be another thing that people would never level up.

The only thing i think that they should do is people that do a majority of the repairing should be rewarded extra at the end of a run. If its exp, money or whatever, because there are a lot of the time where i am the only one that repairs out of a full crew or i spend an entire time repairing.
I agree Crimson! I have always felt we should get rep for ship repair. Many times there are no cannons empty or I lose my spot because I repair & am trying to level so get no rep at all! Would it be so bad to get Noto rep for repairing...

There is no rep accumulator present for ship repair, so looks like this was not an intended feature of the game.

For those who are stragglers maybe there needs to be a boot off your ship function added. that as long as your on the same voyage that person gets a temporary ban from your ship.

Just an idea

For those who are stragglers maybe there needs to be a boot off your ship function added. that as long as your on the same voyage that person gets a temporary ban from your ship.

Just an idea
In POTCO the Captain could boot freeloaders off the ship, that should be added back

In POTCO the Captain could boot freeloaders off the ship, that should be added back
This was an SvS-only function; the discussion here is about a similar feature being added by the TLOPO developers to regular day-to-day sailing. That was not a thing in POTCO.
:walk the plank:

I agree 100% with your whole post. I've also spent entire voyages repairing and saving pirates and captains butts numerous times. That said, I've seen plenty of pirates repairing just as earnestly as myself. It's nice when the capt or other pirates do thank your efforts though.
No clue how difficult something like this would be to make happen.

I agree 100% with your whole post. I've also spent entire voyages repairing and saving pirates and captains butts numerous times. That said, I've seen plenty of pirates repairing just as earnestly as myself. It's nice when the capt or other pirates do thank your efforts though.
No clue how difficult something like this would be to make happen.
These types of things usually aren't too hard to implement. The hard part is settling on a design to make a majority happy WITH said implementation.

Back