Request Permanent Ignore Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not play this game to make friends. One of aspects I like bout POTCO was there wasn't no real need to fight any bosses with "community." I truly have a hard time with you all thinking this is such a wonderful "community." You must be blinded to some of these ppl true personalities. Such as staff member that encourages "trolls" on the forums and in game. Another that is all smiles and sunshine here, but in game is a nasty person that likes to spread untrue rumors in the game, and they were just as fake in POTCO as well. This is why I like looting by myself. I avoid these ppl and dont have the urge to say something to some of cringy, misguided, attention wanting players in this game. But sadly, Pali, the twins and koko are not able to be looted solo within a timely manner to be worth soloing. So now, I am "force" to deal with these players if I would like to loot these bosses. You gave those whining bout afkers on their "public" open ship the power to kick them off...I don't see any reasonable reason why we cant have a permanent block/ignore feature. I enjoy the game and appreciate it being open for us to play. If I can have permanent block/ignore those I want...trust me they will also be happy I am not saying anything to them lol ;)

I do not play this game to make friends. One of aspects I like bout POTCO was there wasn't no real need to fight any bosses with "community." I truly have a hard time with you all thinking this is such a wonderful "community." You must be blinded to some of these ppl true personalities. Such as staff member that encourages "trolls" on the forums and in game. Another that is all smiles and sunshine here, but in game is a nasty person that likes to spread untrue rumors in the game, and they were just as fake in POTCO as well.
Points taken. However in what you say above, if it was directed at me or any of my prior posts, you’re really preaching to the wrong guy here because I’ve been through my share of misunderstanding/mistreatment all on account of my affiliation with not only the POTCO community but also the forums. As such, I relate completely to what you’re saying.

Perhaps TLOPO should implement this feature. With that said, I would hope too people do realize that nothing in this world will ever get better unless a point is made to “improve” on relationships with others and - in my opinion - a permanent ignore feature added to the game wholly prevents that!

The issue of toxicity should not be swept under the rug. It absolutely should continue to be a priority for the devs

THANK YOU. Someone finally said it. The present community is a lot different than from what I remember as a kid playing POTCO. I was blissfully unaware of just how cruel people can be on this game up until a few months ago.

You gave those whining bout afkers on their "public" open ship the power to kick them off...I don't see any reasonable reason why we cant have a permanent block/ignore feature.

Just as stated above, looters complained and got a higher skull drop rate. Ship captains complained and were given the option to kick afkers. So, why not a permanent blocking feature? It's not much different... just more essential and should have been added a long time ago.

Rather than focus on the availability of such an option, is it impractical for pirates to just play at a different time than when they normally play (or play in a ‘different server’ when it is noticed a unliked player is currently active and playing)? *How readily are bad behavior pirates now? If just a few, cannot decisions be made by the player in-game to just avoid certain places where unruly pirates frequent?

That is an incredibly arrogant, blinded statement that I can not even begin to fathom what system of logical thinking told you that was okay. To even let that cross your mind, let alone post it as a response, indicates you are looking at this community with rose-colored glasses.

People have work, school, real life situations that often prevent them from having an overly flexible gaming availability. I can't play at 3, 4, 5am for the sake of avoiding trolls if I have work, school, or whatever in the morning.​

Playing on another server all the time to avoid the trolls does more harm than good in the long run. You isolate yourself. You have to explain to friends and guild mates why you can't go to the upper servers or port at Tortuga on a mat run. Because God forbid someone sees you and before you know it you're surrounded, having insults hurled at you like an out of control pitching machine. Sure, you can "ignore" or "report" them, but having to do that on a daily basis gets old real fast, and the things said before you're able to go down the entire list and hit "ignore" HURT.​

An atmosphere where players have no opportunity to resolve further their personal differences

Your argument of avoiding certain places conflicts with this. If you want people to resolve their conflicts, shouldn't they all play on the same server? With that said, when people are coming up to me asking things like "how much for an hour?" or go out of their way to meme, trash and berate me for being in a relationship they know nothing about, I don't think they are looking for an opportunity to resolve personal differences. No, they aren't looking to resolve anything.

Here, this is just a little taste of what I have to deal with on a daily basis.

Sx8wfbx.png

7EyGXNW.png

4epmlSR.png

.you’re quite lucky to see a certain level of conflict around given TLOPO shouldn’t really even be here!

How is experiencing conflict like this lucky?

With conflict that is extreme however, why not just report the player and trust the in-game moderation system

Based off my personal experience, I don't feel like much of anything gets done when I report someone, especially when the context of the slurs are in regards to a certain person. Also, that's why:

UXgySVc.png

I want to revisit a few points Beggar made.

"The idea that we’re somehow sowing division by choosing not to interact with pirates whose only intentions are to harass and insult is really silly. Blocking a troll in an online video game is not tantamount to someone being erased from society..."

"It’s a bit patronizing to suggest that encountering trolls in an mmorpg is a chance to learn conflict resolution and tolerance. It’s not my job to “tolerate” a rude and obnoxious player who is repeatedly whispering insults in all caps at me. These trolls aren’t interested in finding common ground, they just want to annoy other players, and they get to do so at least once per game session since (unlike every other game and social media platform that I can think of), inexplicably, this game doesn’t allow me to block them."

An article published by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services stated the following:
While gaming can have positive benefits like making new friends, socializing, and learning how to strategize and problem solve, it is also another place where cyberbullying occurs. Anonymity of players and the use of avatars allow users to create alter-egos or fictional versions of themselves, which is part of the fun of gaming. But it also allows users to harass, bully, and sometimes gang up on other players, sending or posting negative or hurtful messages and using the game as a tool of harassment.

In another article I found, the subject being interviewed shares a bit of his experience when it comes to being harassed in online games. No, it's not TLOPO, but statistics reported state that "one in five gamers has quit a game because of abusive chat." You can read the article and watch the short video here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally can agree to everything she just said. Either I've seen it happen to her petsonally or its happened to myself.. Everyday when I login Im forced to ignore the same people everytime. When I "report" them nothing happens. I send an email about harassment and I am told "report them" so I do and yet nothing happens..

@Rachel Sharkeagle - Thank you for your comments.

I do happen to know, my friend, far more than you gave me credit for knowing. (In truth, I realized too the toxicity of just ‘how things are’ and go - online)! *I’ve not only experienced this personally as a gamer (approximately a half dozen times myself) but I done the research necessary to make a personal judgment call (to the extent to the point to where I voiced [online] ‘very loudly’ my concern with those TLOPO devs whom came directly from the Toontown Online community [considering what had been going on ‘over there’ in that community]). So to be perfectly honest, I have walked through the fire :sparkler:, so-to-speak, to gain a fairly good interpretation of what things occur online for people, good and bad.

My point still remains; the only way to defeat toxicity online is for people to swallow their pride and reach out to known trouble makers! It’s a strategy which is two-fold. Below are two points I feel relevant to the betterment of a online community:

1. Reaching out to people gives you a perspective about them you might not otherwise know
  2. People won’t change unless they feel compelled to change. The odds are far greater, for them, to change if they realize (from someone else) their own error

@Rachel Sharkeagle - Thank you for your comments.

*I know, my friend, far more than you gave me credit for knowing (within your post above). In truth, I realized too the toxicity of just “how things are” online! I’ve not only experienced this personally, as a gamer, approximately a half dozen times myself but I done the research necessary to make a personal judgment call (to the extent to the point to where I voiced ‘very loudly’ [online] my concern with those TLOPO devs whom came directly from the Toontown Online community [considering what had been going on ‘over there’]). So to be perfectly honest with you my friend, I have walked through the fire, so-to-speak, to gain a pretty good interpretation of what good things happen online for people as well as the bad.

My point still remains; the only way to defeat toxicity online is for people to swallow their pride and reach out to known trouble makers. It’s a strategy which is two-fold. Below are two points I feel relevant to the betterment of a online community:

1. Reaching out to people gives you a perspective about them you might not otherwise know
  2. People won’t change unless they feel compelled to change. The odds are far greater, for them, to change if they realize (from someone else) their own error

This sounds like social workers of the Carribean instated of pirates and if that is what you want to spend your time doing, that's your prerogative. Don't expect the rest of us to waste our time dealing with infants who bully others for sport.

100 percent disagree.
Troublemakers do what they do to get attention. Giving them that attention just feeds them and encourages their behavior.
Permanent ignore feature is the way to go.

Last edited:
And I've stood up to bullies both irl and online.
I don't think of them as poor misunderstood people.
I eat bullies for breakfest.
When POTCO was closed, some of the best memories I have is making friends, on this forums, with a handful of individuals I deemed as “hacker” during the time of POTCO. (A few even apologized ‘publicly’ to the community here for their wrong doings and they were top-of-the line in their practices).

Mate, I was too busy chasing/judging them to understand that the key to themselves changing was for an opportunity (or someone) to help nudge them towards that direction. ;)

View: https://youtu.be/6CGBoEYv42g

Uh, I stopped reading this thread soon after it began because I guess I had just assumed everyone would be in agreement with a permanent ignore feature. I stand corrected.
THANK YOU. Someone finally said it. The present community is a lot different than from what I remember as a kid playing POTCO. I was blissfully unaware of just how cruel people can be on this game up until a few months ago.
Huh, I have actually encountered nicer people in TLOPO than POTCO (or almost any other gaming community tbh). I attributed this to most TLOPO players being adults and vets from POTCO, so you have less "ha i'm so edgy" kids playing now. But there are certainly still some nasty folks lingering around here...
With that said, when people are coming up to me asking things like "how much for an hour?" or go out of their way to meme, trash and berate me for being in a relationship they know nothing about, I don't think they are looking for an opportunity to resolve personal differences. No, they aren't looking to resolve anything.
Exactly. I've tried, but it's pointless to try reasoning with some people. That's the problem with online trolls. They're just bullies who pretend like they're not bullies. You say "please play nice," they say "learn to take a joke." But they weren't joking.
...statistics reported state that "one in five gamers has quit a game because of abusive chat."
I am fortunate enough to find an odd amusement from watching people try to tear me down in online chats. It's like you're watching a comedy sketch written so horribly that it actually ends up being funny in a painfully awkward and ironic kind of way (intentionally or not). So I personally have no use for a permanent ignore feature.

But that's me. Friends have expressed to me how much they have been bothered by especially bad breeds of pirates in this game, pirates who have since remained in my friends' guilds, acting as annoying and rude as ever because they can't be ignored (permanently) or reasoned with as I explained. Even if they would get banned for what they say (which they don't always do), players in guilds often have mutual friends and don't want to be the one who got a fellow guild member banned (however much they would deserve it).
People won’t change unless they feel compelled to change. The odds are far greater, for them, to change if they realize (from someone else) their own error
This is naive. And it's not fair to expect others to share your sentiments. Read above. Some people like to be mean. Some people thrive off hurting others. Sure, some can be changed. Others refuse to, no matter how civil you are with them.

I have personally tried helping some more-than-annoying players in my guilds before they got kicked. But some refused the help, so there were no grounds for me to continue offering. At that point I would have become the harasser. If you want to encourage players to help each other, that's great, I do too. But it's insane to place the responsibility on those wanting to help without allowing them, except at their own expense, the personal decision of no longer involving themselves with the incorrigible.

Last edited:
This is naive. And it's not fair to expect others to share your sentiments. Read above. Some people like to be mean. Some people thrive off hurting others. Sure, some can be changed. Others refuse to, no matter how civil you are with them.

I have personally tried helping some more-than-annoying players in my guilds before they got kicked. But some refused the help, so there were no grounds for me to continue offering. At that point I would have become the harasser. If you want to encourage players to help each other, that's great, I do too. But it's insane to place the responsibility on those wanting to help without allowing them, except at their own expense, the personal decision of no longer involving themselves with the incorrigible.
Thank you for denoting my stance as naive. Perhaps you’re right...

Ultimately and in the end, the “bigger picture” of something usually prevails. Important to understand in-game pertinent to TLOPO (relative to everyone’s FUN) I would think is how toxicity online can be minimized. Just my opinion but if you permanently ignore someone in-game, while they won’t be able to pester you via CHAT anymore (despite the fact that they can still throw grenades at you, follow you around, tell their gang of friends to do much the same, etc.), you’re not changing unruly behavior at all because they can just as easily go to the next pirate - maybe even a good friend of yours.

It really comes down to defeating the issue long-term...if your complaints are serious about how to deal with unruly and troublesome pirates (online).

lol I call this guy naive and he thanks me :thumbsup:

It's good you can hear others out!

Just my opinion but if you permanently ignore someone in-game, while they won’t be able to pester you via CHAT anymore (despite the fact that they can still throw grenades at you, follow you around, tell their gang of friends to do much the same, etc.)...
Oh yes, of course. A pirate may not like being blocked and stoop to even lower levels to get back at you. But they can't follow you everywhere forever, and more pertinently, they will lose interest. They, and any of their friends they convince to follow their lead, will not only be resorting to little more than laughable attempts at harassing other players but they will be risking getting kicked from their guilds (or even banned).

If I block you for being nasty and you want to tell your equally nasty friends to ignore me as well, please do. It's less weeding out I will have to do myself later on tbch. I have no obligation to offer a helping hand after they already smacked it away.

...you’re not changing unruly behavior at all because they can just as easily go to the next pirate - maybe even a good friend of yours.
I think you're missing the point. If some unpleasant players have no interest in being more pleasant, it doesn't matter. My friends will still be harassed next because neither I nor they can block the harassers.

Last edited:

Ultimately and in the end, the “bigger picture” of something usually prevails. Important to understand in-game pertinent to TLOPO (relative to everyone’s FUN) I would think is how toxicity online can be minimized. Just my opinion but if you permanently ignore someone in-game, while they won’t be able to pester you via CHAT anymore (despite the fact that they can still throw grenades at you, follow you around, tell their gang of friends to do much the same, etc.), you’re not changing unruly behavior at all because they can just as easily go to the next pirate - maybe even a good friend of yours.

It really comes down to defeating the issue long-term...if your complaints are serious about how to deal with unruly and troublesome pirates (online).

I have no idea why you would thank someone for pointing out that your stance is naïve in their opinion.
I don't see how that contributes to the discussion at all, but you are free to say it.

So I should be afraid of ignoring someone because they might turn and attack someone else?
So these people can now hold the rest of the world hostage making me have to interact with them or they will go after other people?
I can't take a word of it seriously.

So here is what I do. Sometimes, if I have time, I PVP them, but I use siege charge, guns, broadsword and so on. When I do that they hurl mindless insults at me in the match because I am not playing by their rules (whatever you think, there are no rules for pvp). I report those insults because while in the match their rage is so high that they cant control themselves at all usually.
Usual outcome: Whether I win or lose the match I NEVER encounter them again because they learn that nothing they say or do matters to me or they just get banned.

The big picture? This is a war between those who believe in common courtesy and those who scoff at such notions.

If I have the time and energy to engage with them, getting them banned is probably the best course of action in the long run.
Most people don't want to bother, so ignoring them will work better than anything else because they will move on bothering pirate after pirate till they meet someone who is more than a match for them and they will rage out of the game. If however day after day they can keep coming back to the same person who has to re ignore them, then they are less likely to move on.

sorry i agree with @Shamus The Brute theres alot more they can focus then on the ignore between right now it would take away form time for bugs to be fixed like the quest bug
Actually what takes time away from the tlopo staff is dealing with harassment complaints. This is why the captain kick feature was added recently because in the end it reduces their workload. (Fewer complaints to deal with)

Workload reduction is exactly why permanent ignore feature should be added.

@tiberias i am not saying it shouldnt be added at all i am saying that the games foces should be bug fixes first and geting the game up i want this freature also because i dont like doing the ignore over and over again but theres a bug fix i want more then this i want to able to finish ravens cove but i cant so make sure you understand before you qoute me

@tiberias i am not saying it shouldnt be added at all i am saying that the games foces should be bug fixes first and geting the game up i want this freature also because i dont like doing the ignore over and over again but theres a bug fix i want more then this i want to able to finish ravens cove but i cant so make sure you understand before you qoute me
I understand your post perfectly. I also looked on the forums to see posts about Raven's Cove quest being broken, which I know its not broken for everyone since I have recently helped many people complete it in the boss battle with El Patron.

When I checked there is a thread about the quest being broken for some people. Two people that is have actually posted about it in the last few months from what I could find. I guess you make three.

Dealing with trolls in the game is a much more widespread issue and deserves greater attention. Also if the devs need more time to do stuff they can get it if they don't have to respond to so many reports of harassment. I stand by my previous post 100%.

@tiberias i looked at that page its not the same problum as i have my ravens cove and black pearl and half of my quests disappeared months ago and i have been waiting on a fix for ages

Permanent ignore seems like a good idea to me, I'm not seeing the down sides that so many claim. That said, I feel that the in game issues that this is aimed at are not huge and this thread has more conflict than is common to see in game. I also have to point out that it is invalid to use looters whining about poor boss loot and getting resolution as a support for this because that was really fixing a bug; getting bosses back to the way they were supposed to be which then spread out the looting pressure which had been concentrated into just 2 places, the gold room and south idol. I do think it is fairly comparable to the sailing boot option but, at least personally, feel the afking and trolls on ships, particularly on your own ship, was more egregious than annoying chat and trolls at large in the game.

I have no idea why you would thank someone for pointing out that your stance is naïve in their opinion.
I don't see how that contributes to the discussion at all, but you are free to say it...

Most people don't want to bother, so ignoring them will work better than anything else because they will move on bothering pirate after pirate till they meet someone who is more than a match for them and they will rage out of the game. If however day after day they can keep coming back to the same person who has to re ignore them, then they are less likely to move on.
lol I call this guy naive and he thanks me :thumbsup:

It's good you can hear others out!

Oh yes, of course. A pirate may not like being blocked and stoop to even lower levels to get back at you. But they can't follow you everywhere forever, and more pertinently, they will lose interest...
It’s called diffusion and a lesson to be learned in so far as conflict resolution (well that and the fact that I am trying to do my best to model ‘humility’ online).
Actually what takes time away from the tlopo staff is dealing with harassment complaints. This is why the captain kick feature was added recently because in the end it reduces their workload. (Fewer complaints to deal with)

Workload reduction is exactly why permanent ignore feature should be added.
Let’s put your above ^ idea into practice here on the forums with permission from @Davy Darkrage or @Captain Star. If you and everyone else agree, we’ll just call it an “experiment” and people are free to report and/or IGNORE me (given I really have nothing to lose anymore).

Below is what I propose:
- I will follow your posts around this forums
- In the best way that I can, keeping forums rules in mind and complying with them, I will respond to any or all posts I find from you (whether you agree with my opinion or not) to prove that I can always follow you around the internet
- You will publicly agree to engage with myself following your posts by saying something to my public profile (and not through private messaging)
- You are welcome to report and/or personally IGNORE me to which I will comply (because I have no problem with you anyway given this is just an ‘experiment’)
- Anyone is welcome to participate as long as they notify me publicly on my profile

*Yeah, it’s silly but...perhaps we can all see how much effort/energy it really does take for someone (including moderators) to put forth towards the handling of “ignoring ” someone as opposed to that same person reaching out to an individual (personally) to resolve potential conflict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back