Discussion Pirates Online Legacy - A 2008 PotCO Recreation

Xamarin

Pirate Apprentice
Hello!

My name is Xamarin (you can call me Ethan), and I'm the main director and founder over at Legacy Studios. Some of you may have already seen the video over on our channel found here, but if you haven't (or if you're a bit unsure as to who and what we are), allow me to explain.

We are a group of people that share one common goal in mind: recreating Disney's now - defunct MMORPG, Pirates of the Caribbean Online as it was in 2008. We do this out of our spare time and pay for everything out of our own pockets. Please note: we are in no way affiliated with The Legend of Pirates Online, another remake, or any other PotCO - related project.

The most common concern/question that we've received so far is something around the lines of: "Another PotCO emulator? TLoPO just released into its Open Beta state..." If you haven't read already from the title of the video, this thread, or the video's description, we're emulating the 2008 client, in which has a completely separate codebase compared to the 2013 client. This is a unique experience for everyone in the community, being that well... 2008 was around 9 years ago. This will provide both newer and older players to experience PotCO as it was before the major overhaul update that occurred around 2009 - 2010.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to e-mail us at support@legacystudios.co or hit us up on any of our social media found below!

Twitch: https://twitch.tv/PiratesLegacy
Facebook: https://facebook.com/legacystudiodev
Twitter: https://twitter.com/legacystudiodev
Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/legacystu...
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoND...

Last edited:
Can someone please explain to us what happened to JohnnyDaPirate? He used to be an owner or head of TLOPO with Mike Wass, if i remember correctly, now i'm assuming he has no affiliation with TLOPO? I come to this conclusion on the basis that if he were still part of TLOPO they could just make another server with the old islands and it would pretty much be the 2008 game, right? Why did he either leave TLOPO, or get kicked out?

"
Can someone please explain to us what happened to JohnnyDaPirate? He used to be an owner or head of TLOPO with Mike Wass, if i remember correctly, now i'm assuming he has no affiliation with TLOPO? I come to this conclusion on the basis that if he were still part of TLOPO they could just make another server with the old islands and it would pretty much be the 2008 game, right? Why did he either leave TLOPO, or get kicked out?

@JohnnyDaPirate Is still the project manager of TLOPO, as he said in the description of his video, "Pirates Online Legacy ("POL") is not endorsed or affiliated with The Legend of Pirates Online ("TLOPO")."

"

@JohnnyDaPirate Is still the project manager of TLOPO, as he said in the description of his video, "Pirates Online Legacy ("POL") is not endorsed or affiliated with The Legend of Pirates Online ("TLOPO")."
Thats not stating hes the project manager of TLOPO, just that this project has no correlation to it. Also It's not been said hes an official news provider either, anyone can cover TLOPO updates. Are you POL staff by chance?

Thats not stating hes the project manager of TLOPO, just that this project has no correlation to it. Also It's not been said hes an official news provider either, anyone can cover TLOPO updates. Are you POL staff by chance?
Hi, you'd have to ask JDP himself as none of us can really answer that except for him. Sorry!

Hi, you'd have to ask JDP himself as none of us can really answer that except for him. Sorry!
You can go view his profile and go to information for JDP.

https://piratesforums.co/members/johnnydapirate.679/#info

I'd like to apologize for not showing some of our current progress here. I have been so caught up in the development of POL that I've forgotten to show you all what we have so far in terms of development.

Here's Kingshead!

kingshead.jpg

Padres Del Fuego!
ECeCp8M1Q-SAc9455DLZsQ.png

Tortuga!
unknown.png

And finally, Port Royal!
10-08-2017.jpg

Of course, this isn't all that we have so far. We're able to teleport to and from separate islands, and are currently working on adding NPCs, building interiors, and caves!

Be sure to catch our first developer stream here on October 20th, 2017 @ 6:30 PM EST! We hope to see some of you there!

Thanks, and best regards,
Xamarin

I'd like to apologize for not showing some of our current progress here. I have been so caught up in the development of POL that I've forgotten to show you all what we have so far in terms of development.

Here's Kingshead!

kingshead.jpg

Padres Del Fuego!
ECeCp8M1Q-SAc9455DLZsQ.png

Tortuga!
unknown.png

And finally, Port Royal!
10-08-2017.jpg

Of course, this isn't all that we have so far. We're able to teleport to and from separate islands, and are currently working on adding NPCs, building interiors, and caves!

Be sure to catch our first developer stream here on October 20th, 2017 @ 6:30 PM EST! We hope to see some of you there!

Thanks, and best regards,
Xamarin
Isn't this the easiest part though?

No. Getting onto the islands (properly) took us around 2 weeks of constantly changing, testing and debugging our code. Just because it seems simple in game doesn't necessarily make the process of getting to that point just as simple. Keep in mind that we're doing all of this entirely from scratch.

The project has been in development for roughly a month, and we've spent that time making sure that each feature is developed properly and thoroughly. We coin the term "hacky patch(y)" for code that is written in mind of completing the end goal as fast as possible, ignoring how it would work with newer implementations or features; something we have avidly been cross-checking. So while these features may seem basic or easy; there was a lot of design thinking and architecture that went into recreating these features properly and not in a hacky patchy way.

Also just a note, this is one among many other features we've already implemented. Be sure to check out our developer stream on 10/20/2017 @ 6:30PM EST https://www.twitch.tv/PiratesLegacy

Cheers mate! :p

No. Getting onto the islands (properly) took us around 2 weeks of constantly changing, testing and debugging our code. Just because it seems simple in game doesn't necessarily make the process of getting to that point just as simple. Keep in mind that we're doing all of this entirely from scratch.
No its just that the only part the original PO R got done was the landwalker with about what you have done now so I assumed from that this was the easiest part, meaning stuff like enemies/sailing or whatever is way harder more time consuming and difficult.

The term "easy" is relative. Acquiring Disney's original client, decompiling the client, fixing client deobfuscation errors, writing all server code from scratch to work seamlessly with that client, working to fix any inconsistencies in the networking and security of the game, etc.. ( I could go on ). I wouldn't count that as "easy".

Pirates Online Rewritten featured a landwalker, this is true, but as any of their prior developers would tell you; this was the result of a series of "hacky patches" and was not built to serve a production multiplayer game in any way -> hence why they trashed it. When they merged with TLOPO, both groups were at the loading screen after MAP (Make-A-Pirate), from which they went furthermore.

Back