Pirates Online Rewritten Isn't Canceled!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyDaPirate

Wiki Staff
As i'm sure many have noticed, the Pirates Online Rewritten (another remake) project has recently canceled their project. Since, they have "recalled" that cancellation!

More information available at
http://hyperurl.co/CancellationRecall

Being so, I will still be covering any news and progress available on the project on my
YouTube, FaceBook, Twitter and Google+ pages.

Fellow swashbuckler,
JohnnyDaPirate

Last edited:
@Tom O'fury and another remake - Was the recent cancellation of another remake just a ploy to further promote and/or permit another remake to understand better it's impact upon the community?

For what it is worth, this form of tactic has been done before (ironically, with gog.com, the site where Disney is now relying upon to sale/distribute it's 'retro' games including older games associated with Lucas Arts):

I would honestly hope it is not a ploy, they would likely lose my trust if it is. To understand their impact on the community of this size does not take a massive ploy saying their project is cancelled, after all we really are not that large of a community compared to other games.

My best guess would be that a few members will try to continue with the project where others have given up

I would honestly hope it is not a ploy...
I am having a difficult time understanding the "swing" of emotions I am experiencing right now towards another remake and because of that, I am going to open my big mouth (once again) in a way which will probably go against me. Nevertheless, I am going to say what needs to be said (for my own self).

You're probably right, @Captain Hi. It is more-than-likely not a ploy. Regardless, I cannot help but think that it was. Even if I am wrong, it doesn't matter anyway because no matter how another remake tries to cut this, they purposefully lied (once again). Nobody is perfect but..."come on."

I am having a difficult time understanding the "swing" of emotions I am experiencing right now towards another remake and because of that, I am going to open my big mouth (once again) in a way which will probably go against me. Nevertheless, I am going to say what needs to be said (for my own self).

You're probably right, @Captain Hi. It is more-than-likely not a ploy. Regardless, I cannot help but think that it was. Even if I am wrong, it doesn't matter anyway because no matter how another remake tries to cut this, they purposefully lied (once again). Nobody is perfect but..."come on."
The forums activity dropped a lot, I wouldn't think it was a tactic for anything other than what they said. If anything it hurt another remake more than it helped it.

Whether this is a ploy or not they have definitely lost what was left of my trust for them. The official posts over there are so contradictory that it becomes hard to know what is actually truth. One day you say the project is closed and the forums will as well close. Less than a day later you decide the forums will not close. Two days pass and you say the project is not closing but will be slow and unproductive as it has always been.

The posts and mentions of game development are never true. "We have something big coming!" That big thing is make a pirate a few months later??! Why not just say "We have hit a few roadblocks, we are trying to get around them." or "We have not made any progress lately, we have been busy."

I just want the truth. Do not lie, it doesn't ever help you in the long run.
The forums activity dropped a lot, I wouldn't think it was a tactic for anything other than what they said. If anything it hurt another remake more than it helped it.
It helped them. It was a great thing to do if it was indeed a proposed and planned tactic. It got rid of a bunch of people, so now they have less people to manage on the forums, less requests and PMs, etc. They can now "focus" on game development instead of running a forum. Or at least this is a temporary solution...

As i'm sure many have noticed, the Pirates Online Rewritten (another remake) project has recently canceled their project. Since, they have "recalled" that cancellation!

More information available at http://hyperurl.co/CancellationRecall

Being so, I will still be covering any news and progress available on the project on my YouTube, FaceBook, Twitter and Google+ pages.

Fellow swashbuckler,
JohnnyDaPirate
:rolleyes: Just an FYI, you should have made your text a little bit darker, Kinda hard to read on the white background..

Before I go any further into this debate with good ol' Shamus. I ask you all this question...

What do we have to gain from lying to you? Those of you that know us personally, do you really think we care enough to create an elaborate plan to lie to you all for a game that cannot even make money... that we make in our free time... Let's think about that for a few minutes.

Before I go any further into this debate with good ol' Shamus. I ask you all this question...

What do we have to gain from lying to you? Those of you that know us personally, do you really think we care enough to create an elaborate plan to lie to you all for a game that cannot even make money... that we make in our free time... Let's think about that for a few minutes.
Tom, please don't take this as an attack for you, because I really respect what you are doing with the project.

I think, especially before you took over, the another remake "leaders" were not really focused on the game, but focused on what it could be and getting everyone's attention. Then they realized not many of them had the necessary skill set and had multiple changes along the road due to lack of knowledge. I know many of those working on it had noble intentions but a lot of the younger members were probably doing it just because they wanted to be important or have a powerful role if the game should ever be finished. That's why myself (and maybe @Shamus The Brute) are being skeptical; we want to make sure nobody is being deceived in any way.

:2 cents:

I was banned for posting my point of view on their forums for this. - I'll state this BOLDLY, This is not an attack or bashing. Just my viewpoint.

It took the developers of Disney with all their funding 2-3 years to get the basic coding down. Another 2 years to get it up to date with all bugs and enemies. ANOTHER 2 years to add loot and inventory. Yet, still had bugs/hackers in the game during the end. I only see 3 outcomes for this another remake project originally started by Gleaming, X Jumper, and myself.

1. The game comes out on time - Yet, has "inexperienced/low staff" making hackers are free to take anyone's account and the community is destroyed.

2. The game comes out - For this to happen would take the 'average coders' at least FIVE YEARS to code. That's the earliest with beta problems! So people will move on from the game by then. Making the community down to 100 or 200 pirates, if that.

3. The game never comes out.

It's just simply to big of a task for any amount of coders to created. Without a large number of experts coders and funding it cannot be done in a reasonable amount of time.

I was banned for posting my point of view on their forums for this. - I'll state this BOLDLY, This is not an attack or bashing. Just my viewpoint.

It took the developers of Disney with all their funding 2-3 years to get the basic coding down. Another 2 years to get it up to date with all bugs and enemies. ANOTHER 2 years to add loot and inventory. Yet, still had bugs/hackers in the game during the end. I only see 3 outcomes for this another remake project originally started by Gleaming, X Jumper, and myself.

1. The game comes out on time - Yet, has "inexperienced/low staff" making hackers are free to take anyone's account and the community is destroyed.

2. The game comes out - For this to happen would take the 'average coders' at least FIVE YEARS to code. That's the earliest with beta problems! So people will move on from the game by then. Making the community down to 100 or 200 pirates, if that.

3. The game never comes out.

It's just simply to big of a task for any amount of coders to created. Without a large number of experts coders and funding it cannot be done in a reasonable amount of time.
Disney took years creating ToonTown.......

Disney took years creating ToonTown.......
At least someone understands how much work and staff was put into online games before they are released.... I feel a little foolish thinking I could do it at first. No offence another remake, but the task is simply to big for any high schooler coder or collage programmer for that matter.

At least someone understands how much work and staff was put into online games before they are released.... I feel a little foolish thinking I could do it at first. No offence another remake, but the task is simply to big for any high schooler coder or collage programmer for that matter.
50% of our team isn't high school coders or collage programmers. Shows how long you have been off of the team.

It really puzzles me as to why to pull such a stunt to be able to simply recruit people for your already in the lead project and to essentially say you are being cancelled to grab attention and cause a mass array of drama. It makes me so mixed in emotions I am not sure I mean my apology and sentiments towards another remake like previously stated in another thread. I don't think I am really finding myself ever to at any point in the future now to trust the development, team, etc. with such a stunt and move. I'll offer my view point on this and don't expect to comment further on this out of the respect of the Administration of this site.

The another remake Team in my opinion has not been transparent if at all and striven to be better than their what many could consider to be their predecessors: DIMG.

What another remake is doing right now I dare say is no different from that of Black Flag Online only that they are trying to guess and test more than BFO trying to create something original. They are building a game from ground up and therefore it would seem that for the least the way updates are conducted should be a similar path. Yet, another remake's updates aren't nearly as plentiful as BFO's and dare I say BFO is more promising of being released than another remake. If you really believe I'm wrong or would like to hear my full opinion on the matter by all means message me.

And of course please note not to get uncivil here! The people who run this site are good people and don't deserve it. The above is merely my opinion and I don't expect to publicly respond back on this site.

OMG!!!!!!!

Why do you guys always, everyone always assumes the worst!

I'm sick of all of this. We did close down. We were going to stop. Then we got together and discussed a lot of stuff and changed our minds. We never ever ever ever wanted to give up, which is why we changed our minds on ending. We want this to succeed for everyone who ever played POTCO. All the kids who grew up on the game. All the adults who had the opportunities to be a child again. All the families that played together like me and my boys did.

I dont understand why so many people have to always assume without having all the facts.
I dont understand why everyone has to be so hateful to each other, on any side of any issue.

And dont think that I'm trying to cover up my own tail and the tail of others on the team. We were all lied to by various people. Some on the staff before, and some unknown (author of that fake email).

The closing was in NO way a ploy.

And all this mess on this thread... and the negativity and assuming the worst.. that is part of the reason that we wanted to throw in the towel. Its extremely hard to try to do anything when so many people are trolling your forums, making threats, constantly demeaning us. We've been bullied and if anyone has ever been bullied before, you know that it never feels good.

We also had all those problems from the past with former devs that we could never get past. Why? Because they were always being brought up again and again and again and again. It never mattered what we did right. Why? Because all the wrongs in the past were constantly being thrown back into our faces.

I've said my piece for now...

It really puzzles me as to why to pull such a stunt to be able to simply recruit people for your already in the lead project and to essentially say you are being cancelled to grab attention and cause a mass array of drama. It makes me so mixed in emotions I am not sure I mean my apology and sentiments towards another remake like previously stated in another thread. I don't think I am really finding myself ever to at any point in the future now to trust the development, team, etc. with such a stunt and move. I'll offer my view point on this and don't expect to comment further on this out of the respect of the Administration of this site.

The another remake Team in my opinion has not been transparent if at all and striven to be better than their what many could consider to be their predecessors: DIMG.

What another remake is doing right now I dare say is no different from that of Black Flag Online only that they are trying to guess and test more than BFO trying to create something original. They are building a game from ground up and therefore it would seem that for the least the way updates are conducted should be a similar path. Yet, another remake's updates aren't nearly as plentiful as BFO's and dare I say BFO is more promising of being released than another remake. If you really believe I'm wrong or would like to hear my full opinion on the matter by all means message me.

And of course please note not to get uncivil here! The people who run this site are good people and don't deserve it. The above is merely my opinion and I don't expect to publicly respond back on this site.
A game such as BFO is completely different. They are creating things off of their own ideas, they are building their own world. When something doesn't work they can work around it a completely different way, or they can even throw out the idea and replace it with something else. We are doing something that is much more difficult. We aren't building something new on Unity, we're sitting here staring at python code trying to get it to work. While we are roaming through files, they are building items with Blender and Unity. Sorry, but there isn't really a comparison here. I'm a fan of BFO for their work but is is a totally different ball game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back