Possible new feature for TLOPO?

Benjamin Calicovane

Notorious Pirate
I would like to suggest that flowing water and lava should be added to the game. As shown in this video here, I was able to get the water moving for a few seconds by glitching around.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sXgmmf2iGo

I know for a fact that lava used to flow, based off of old videos I've seen on Padres. Here's an example. (Start at 1m31s)

View: https://youtu.be/vGfFvFmMveY?t=1m33s

I'm sure water flowed as well, or else why would this be in the game? This flowing feature was removed in an update that took place somewhere between 2009 and 2010, probably to help with performance issues.

For the people that have low-end computers, a toggle option would be available in the menu for the animation, it could be called something like "Fancy Water."

Just a little something cool that could be added!

That'd be nice, any answer from staff would be appreciated! :D

Not sure what kind of answer you are looking for? A commitment of yes or no? I don't think you get one on your suggestion, at this point. I know that some of the devs have seen this thread, but features like this are not the priority, but that doesn't mean its off the table. Just means its not going to be addressed until much later, if its going to be implemented at all. Remember it was removed for a reason.

Not sure what kind of answer you are looking for? A commitment of yes or no? I don't think you get one on your suggestion, at this point. I know that some of the devs have seen this thread, but features like this are not the priority, but that doesn't mean its off the table. Just means its not going to be addressed until much later, if its going to be implemented at all. Remember it was removed for a reason.
Really any sort of answer. A yes, a no, a maybe later if we have the time, something like that. :)

And just to be fair, the "it was removed for a reason" argument isn't really valid for this game. because features like old body types, the clothing color wheel, ship figureheads, etc. were removed, despite there being absolutely no reason for doing so and them working fine.

Really any sort of answer. A yes, a no, a maybe later if we have the time, something like that. :)

And just to be fair, the "it was removed for a reason" argument isn't really valid for this game. because features like old body types, the clothing color wheel, ship figureheads, etc. were removed, despite there being absolutely no reason for doing so and them working fine.

Old body types were removed because they created extra lag in the game. The moving water/lava in POTCO was buggy at best. I remember it working and then it would stop working a few minutes later. It IS possible that it never worked quite right and that's why it was removed. To say things were removed for "no reason" isnt really a valid argument unless you worked on the game yourself with the other Disney developers, because we aren't privy to the reason why. Just because things seem to work fine, doesnt mean they actually do. Sometimes as new features are added, older features stop working or stop working properly. I would love to see the lava moving and water flowing again, as long as it doesnt compromise game play. :)

That'd be nice, any answer from staff would be appreciated! :D

I wasn't trying to start an arguement, I was just asking her to let Dean and the others know that the community would like for this to be implemented. (Or at least for it to be attempted.)

No, the polygon count actually did cause substantial lag for a high percentage of the playerbase.

While you're correct, POTCO runs on an engine from 2005. It's been more than 10 years since POTCO graphics we're considered even remotely close to "high-end". Chances are, even people's low-end computers today should be able to handle TLOPO's polycount with minimal issues.

While you're correct, POTCO runs on an engine from 2005. It's been more than 10 years since POTCO graphics we're considered even remotely close to "high-end". Chances are, even people's low-end computers today should be able to handle TLOPO's polycount with minimal issues.
Sorry if I came across as though the old bodies would cause substantial lag these days. I know it won't, I've tried them first-hand. It's just that back then, it did cause substantial lag.

Sorry if I came across as though the old bodies would cause substantial lag these days. I know it won't, I've tried them first-hand. It's just that back then, it did cause substantial lag.

No, you're fine! :D

The old bodies causing lag is a common misconception. Disney mainly changed the body types for promotional reasons. Study groups didn't like how cartoony the game looked, so they made the body types more realistic. Yes, they changed the poly count on them, but it was only subtle. It helped for POTCO, which was a larger game. Sooner or later, all those pirates walking around would add up and cause lag.

TLOPO, as a fan creation, will be on a much smaller scale and won't have to deal with that population problem.

No, you're fine! :D

The old bodies causing lag is a common misconception. Disney mainly changed the body types for promotional reasons. Study groups didn't like how cartoony the game looked, so they made the body types more realistic. Yes, they changed the poly count on them, but it was only subtle. It helped for POTCO, which was a larger game. Sooner or later, all those pirates walking around would add up and cause lag.

TLOPO, as a fan creation, will be on a much smaller scale and won't have to deal with that population problem.
Right, the "official" reason that the devs ended up releasing was that the newer bodies had a smaller poly-count which helped with lag. I mean, I did notice a difference when they were changed. I didn't freeze as much and the sword motions were a bit smoother imo.

I would like to suggest that flowing water and lava should be added to the game. As shown in this video here, I was able to get the water moving for a few seconds by glitching around.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sXgmmf2iGo

I know for a fact that lava used to flow, based off of old videos I've seen on Padres. Here's an example. (Start at 1m31s)

View: https://youtu.be/vGfFvFmMveY?t=1m33s

I'm sure water flowed as well, or else why would this be in the game? This flowing feature was removed in an update that took place somewhere between 2009 and 2010, probably to help with performance issues.

For the people that have low-end computers, a toggle option would be available in the menu for the animation, it could be called something like "Fancy Water."

Just a little something cool that could be added!
this is either a bug or it causes fps lag, either way it isnt very important and whether they decide to add it or not, maybe they are planning on adding it but the bug where it isnt flowing isnt much of a deal and a waste of their time right now

Back