POTCO Updating Screen

PirateJasonS

Site Founder
I vaguely remember seeing an animated screen like this...
001160s003.jpg

..whenever the game had to update. It was animated with the ship floating up and down, the tattered sails blowing in the wind, and lightening striking repeatedly. It also had sounds of thunder to bring it all together. There was a progress bar and status info at the bottom during this process as well.

I can't find any evidence that this existed, but I swear I'm not imagining it! This is from the very old days when I first played the game. If I'm not imagining this, I hope that it can make a comeback in TLOPO lol.

Can anyone else remember what I'm talking about?

I remember this too! And they would play that lil video that had the devs of the game(I believe) running around the office, too!

And they would play that lil video that had the devs of the game(I believe) running around the office, too!
I don't remember seeing that, but I'll take your word for it lol.

I just remembered it while I was waiting for TLOPO to update the last time I opened the launcher. It'd be really cool to see that come back instead of just a progress bar in the launcher. But whatever they decide to do whether it be bring back something like this or leave it as it is, I'm just glad to have the game back :) I just wanted to make sure I'm only half crazy lol

I remember this.. vaguely... that was waaaaaay early. Like before basics got full screen lol
When did that happen? I think I stopped playing before that happened because basic access got too boring :eek: I really wish that I'd checked back in on this game sooner than after it closed lol.

Are you referring to these? When you first downloaded the game and files were installing one of these two clips was shown.
That second clip looks somewhat familiar but I don't think that's what I'm talking about. Although the beginning of it does look somewhat like what I'm thinking of :) Also those are really cool to see

I remember it too. It was in 2008, it would keep reloading for me and the thunder and lightning and boat rocking would just play and play and I could never get in. I gave up that year and then in 2009 I logged in again and was able to play.

I wouldn't have ever even remember this existed if you hadn't brought it up! I watched this animation many times over thanks to my dinosaur internet connection. I even found an image of it. ;)

Piratesonline_old_launcher.gif

(The URL says it's a GIF, but it's very hard to see any movement. I found if you look very close at the sails on the ship, they seem to be moving.
...or maybe they don't)​

Last edited:
Oh yes, I remember this for sure. Although as others had said, I doubt I ever would have thought of it if you hadn't brought it up. I think it would be cool to see this added to the launcher!

I wouldn't have ever even remember this existed if you hadn't brought it up! I watched this animation many times over thanks to my dinosaur internet connection. I even found an image of it. ;)

(The URL says it's a GIF, but it's very hard to see any movement. I found if you look very close at the sails on the ship, they seem to be moving.)
nice find but no the sails are not moving

(The URL says it's a GIF, but it's very hard to see any movement. I found if you look very close at the sails on the ship, they seem to be moving.)
Great find!! Can't believe you found it :D

I think it would be cool to see this added to the launcher!
I do too, I think that'd be awesome to have during version updates :)

Edit: @mfwass you guys don't happen to still have files of this, do you?

(The URL says it's a GIF, but it's very hard to see any movement. I found if you look very close at the sails on the ship, they seem to be moving.
...or maybe they don't)​
THIS YES

Oh yeah, I remember when us basics had to have that big ugly brown border screen..
I personally didn't mind that border lol. It was the ads that bugged me. The border was actually kind of cool looking. I prefer that over the regular border of a windowed program :)

I personally didn't mind that border lol. It was the ads that bugged me. The border was actually kind of cool looking. I prefer that over the regular border of a windowed program :)
I like the simple clean windows border, not too messy. Im one of those who, when I see the messed up bins at walmart with dvds all piled on each other, I want to fix it.

Bad.............................................................>Better!!!
Mr+good+guy+walmart_c9c31b_4556891.jpg

Back