POTCO vs. Minecraft

Which game do you prefer?

• Total voters

Gastro

Notorious Pirate
So, I was rummaging through topics in POTCO General Discussion when I came across "POTCO vs. Club Penguin". I was reading through the posts when I saw that my friend, Bart Gunshot, had mentioned how it would be if it was a question of POTCO vs. Minecraft. Well...you got your wish, Bart. xD

So, post your reasons for voting below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Square graphics or regular just really bad graphics. I guess I'll go potco :p

The "handsome" part was supposed to be a joke. :p I meant, which game is more fun in terms of gameplay? Although, if you judge by graphics, that's fine too.

If you want to know my vote, I'd have to say MC right now. For now, it has more updates than POTCO. Which is saying something because there usually isn't an update in a while. (Maybe like 3-5 months for a new update.)

I enjoy the sandbox feel of MC and the fact moderation of the chat on minecraft/servers is usually more liberal/forgiving unlike POTCO's unforgiving filters...and the updates too. gotta love a game that actually gets updated.

This is like comparing a fishing game to a shooter game. The games have very different targeted audiences. POTCO is a MMORPG, while Minecraft is an open world-sandbox game. They're both good, but to compare them, is like apples to oranges, peaches to plums.

But Minecraft isn't just sandbox. It can be an Adventure, a FPS, a RPG, anything, really. While POTCO is an MMO stuck to doing the same things over and over again, Minecraft has thousands of different things to experience via mods, texture packs, and servers.

But Minecraft isn't just sandbox. It can be an Adventure, a FPS, a RPG, anything, really. While POTCO is an MMO stuck to doing the same things over and over again, Minecraft has thousands of different things to experience via mods, texture packs, and servers.

That's partially true. What you're doing is bending the terms. I mean, we could say Call of Duty is an RPG and an adventure game. It's not, but it has elements of those types of games. CoD is an FPS game, but if we were to bend the terms a little bit, we could make it into several types of genres.

Minecraft's main genre is its sandbox feel. It has elements of several different types of games though. Every game has many types of elements of different types of genres.

"Minecraft is a sandbox indie game..." - quoted from the Minecraft Wiki

Even though my profile pic is Jack Sparrow this doesn't mean I don't like Minecraft :p

Can't really compare the two. In an honest battle, Minecraft wins out. Especially in the following:
  • Population (Amount of legit users)
  • Development
  • Attention
  • Marketing
I play Minecraft and actually am trying to get my server up, but you can not compare the two. I still play POTCO too.

Can't really compare the two. In an honest battle, Minecraft wins out. Especially in the following:
  • Population (Amount of legit users)
  • Development
  • Attention
  • Marketing
I play Minecraft and actually am trying to get my server up, but you can not compare the two. I still play POTCO too.

Is it Bukkit or vanilla? I can help you either way.

Well, it was pretty tough to chose between POTCO or Minecraft for me... Last fall I got into Minecraft (well, we played Tekkit) with my friends and we ran our own server and it was definitely fun. I liked how there were truly endless possibilities on what we could do, especially with many of the fun plugins for Bukkit. Also, since we were playing Tekkit, we were able to make factories that were capable of producing just about any item in the game, and some of the more complex ones would keep me busy for a week. Once we had all completed building shelters for ourselves and factories to benefit us all, we then went on to construct a large battlefield in a separate world, and we would have battles between the North and South sides of the main village where you would have to start from scratch, and craft your own weapons and forts while fending off the other team. All of these fun activities kept us actively playing the game for around three months, but we eventually did start to lose interest. Now, with POTCO, I myself have been playing for many many years and have remained loyal to the game. Although there isn't all that much you can do in POTCO, compared to Minecraft, I have always just really liked leveling my characters and seeing them grow up from a little swabbie on Rambleshack to a mastered pirate. Also, since I never really played on any large servers in Minecraft, I have met much more people on POTCO than in Minecraft and I like the community of POTCO more. So although it is pretty close for me, I have to say that POTCO is overall a better game than Minecraft.

For me, it is no competition. POTCO had its great moments (playing through the story the first time, exploring all the different locations, meeting lots of people), but overall, it fell way short when compared to most other MMOs.

Minecraft, while not technically an MMO, still maintains a multiplayer, social aspect, while bringing so much more to the table. For me, an aspiring graphic designer/animator, building things on the computer is a lot of fun, and MC lets you do that so well, so it gets my vote.

What it ultimately comes down to is personal preference. Would you rather sail the high seas on a pirate ship? Would you rather build skyscrapers, houses, boats, spaceships, etc. to your heart's content?

MC = 1
POTCO = 0

^ Entirely my opinion, of course.

Back