Request Potential Storm Sphere buff discussion

Does The Storm Sphere deserve a buff?

• Total voters
And his/her name isn't revealed until said quest is completed?
Well, then, who's the quest giver. I've been all over hollow and didn't see anything new.
You need to pick up the original hollowed woods quest from anne goldsilver if you haven't already done that this year. after completing that you talk to richard silveredge next to her to pick up the new quest. You are unable to access the new boss/loot the new legendary until you complete the new quest.

After testing and playing around with The Storm Sphere for a bit, I have gathered some opinions very similar to those here. A siege charge from The Storm Sphere deals 6200 clean with 5 points on long volley and 5 points on siege with a lvl 50 pirate. A siege charge from Green Ornament grenade deals 6278 damage. So a rare tier grenade with 12 base damage and +2 long volley deals more total damage than a legendary tier grenade with 21 base damage and +1 to long volley and +3 to demolitions.

I have also tested the skill Maelstrom Charge and gathered some information from it. The total damage of Maelstrom Charge with maxed long volley is 4344. Now that's kinda sad considering Siege can deal 6200 using The Storm Sphere, which has no backlash if you don't stand too close. So basically as of right now I see no real reason or point to using Maelstrom Charge what so ever because you are taking 850 backlash every hit, plus 728 and another 850 damage if you manage to hit yourself. This takes you down to 50% Hp if you hit yourself with Maelstrom Charge. So pretty much that's a 1 hit KO with a single toss if you hit yourself and an enemy at the same time. Yeah no thanks.

An example of me hitting myself with Maelstrom Charge. Hurts twice for hitting myself and on top of that another 850 if I were to hit an enemy along with myself. I actually did die when I hit myself and a group of enemies from full hp from one single toss. (Note: I'm not sure if its a glitch or not, as it doesn't happen every time. But sometimes you will instantly die from Maelstrom Charge in certain situations.)
double backlash.png

Last edited:
one idea that I had would be to give the maelstrom charge skill the ability to curse enemies when it hits them in addition to dealing damage.
another separate buff idea I had was to lower the attack from 21 to 20 but just add another long volley point to at least make it the best grenade, and keep maelstrom charge the same.

these are just 2 separate change ideas I had. one was more geared towards a change to maelstrom with the other towards the nade itself.
just throwing ideas out there

one idea that I had would be to give the maelstrom charge skill the ability to curse enemies when it hits them in addition to dealing damage.
another separate buff idea I had was to lower the attack from 21 to 20 but just add another long volley point to at least make it the best grenade, and keep maelstrom charge the same.

these are just 2 separate change ideas I had. one was more geared towards a change to maelstrom with the other towards the nade itself.
just throwing ideas out there
I particularly like your idea of the maelstrom charge cursing all enemies hit by it.

Maybe it’s ok the way it is. Seems like quite a lot of people got it in a short period of time and the more powerful GoG is harder to come by.

You can get GoG in one day during Yuletide with minimal effort. It took me like 50 hours to get sphere.

GoG is also, y’know, a rare.
Since nades are so OP in general maybe the better answer is to nerf the GoG? Of course you can get the Storm Sphere in 15seconds to and some never found the GoG so I don’t see that as relevant. In the case of rare I agree that it is desirable for new higher rank but similar weapons be more powerful than lower ones, that’s not always the case with the older weapons though.

Last edited:
Since nades are so OP in general maybe the better answer is to nerf the GoG?
Perhaps. Another option may be to nerf grenades altogether and then marginally buff Storm Sphere. Storm Sphere would still only be tied for the second most damaging grenade even if GoG was nerfed.

Of course you can get the Storm Sphere in 15seconds to and some never found the GoG so I don’t see that as relevant.
You can also win the lottery in one try, while others wouldn't win even after buying ten thousand tickets. The metric of concern is how long it takes to find Storm Sphere on average, with hundreds of different players taken into consideration. Storm Sphere is clearly much more difficult to find by that metric.

Perhaps. Another option may be to nerf grenades altogether and then marginally buff Storm Sphere. Storm Sphere would still only be tied for the second most damaging grenade even if GoG was nerfed.

You can also win the lottery in one try, while others wouldn't win even after buying ten thousand tickets. The metric of concern is how long it takes to find Storm Sphere on average, with hundreds of different players taken into consideration. Storm Sphere is clearly much more difficult to find by that metric.
I assume that one of the grenades you are referring to is the Moonstone, which is clearly a little less than the Storm Sphere in basic attack, what is the other?

I assume that one of the grenades you are referring to is the Moonstone, which is clearly a little less than the Storm Sphere in basic attack, what is the other?
I don't consider the difference between Moonstone and Sphere to be notable enough to separate the potential of the two.

I don't consider the difference between Moonstone and Sphere to be notable enough to separate the potential of the two.
I think it is, it has a unique attack, more attack and fancy texturing that reasonably set it above the Moonstone. Was there another that you consider more powerful than the Storm Sphere or was it an error to say tied for second most damaging grenade even if the GoG were nerfed?

I think it is, it has a unique attack, more attack and fancy texturing that reasonably set it above the Moonstone. Was there another that you consider more powerful than the Storm Sphere or was it an error to say tied for second most damaging grenade even if the GoG were nerfed?
hierarchy of nades i believe goes
Green
Storm Sphere
Moonstone
Breath of HW
and then all the redeem codes and whatnot

I think for a limited time legendary nade that requires completion of 2 quests and drops from a boss that requires a good amount of people to efficiently kill, it should at least be able to one shot gold room.

If grenades in general are nerfed, moon and sphere are tied for 2nd, GoG is first

hierarchy of nades i believe goes
Green
Storm Sphere
Moonstone
Breath of HW
and then all the redeem codes and whatnot

I think for a limited time legendary nade that requires completion of 2 quests and drops from a boss that requires a good amount of people to efficiently kill, it should at least be able to one shot gold room.
Your list is what I expected. I don’t have the Storm Sphere but I do have the Moonstone and it will one shot the Gold Room more than half the time, I estimate about 75% of the time.

Back