Potions ingredients form incorrectly

You are the bomb, @Davy Darkrage !

Thank you for forwarding your reassurances. Looking forward to continuing to work with you all as this game continues to progress.

Your work is appreciated!

Reactions: Bad
The disclaimer implied that it was a glitch from the original code, and dismissed the issue. And I am sorry that you think it was uncalled for. Perhaps if I rephrased it. "If you can't help, don't try to help!" Is that better?

The disclaimer implied that it was a glitch from the original code, and dismissed the issue. And I am sorry that you think it was uncalled for. Perhaps if I rephrased it. "If you can't help, don't try to help!" Is that better?
Would you prefer there to be no communication at all? Beggars can't be choosers. You're the only one who is misinterpreting what the developers say in a negative fashion. They mean the exact opposite. They are interested in investigating the issue further - it certainly was not their intent to appear to dismiss the situation entirely.

With that being said, please understand that this is actively being looked into, even if it is of a lower priority issue.

Your patience is appreciated.

Last edited:
I know we've already come to a fair conclusion, but I am posting this to ask that this maybe move up the priority list a little bit.

This alignment should be impossible in the game...you can see that almost across the board the player is out of space. Now look in the three columns rising. See all of the tier 3 ingredients? I was trying to form tier threes to pull ingredients out of the columns to lower them for playing space. Down in the left corner with the five crab extracts are where I was working to form essence of crab earlier. But every time I formed a new ingredient, instead of pulling out of the columns down and to the center, new ingredients went up and added to the problem. So many opportunities were lost to finish one final ingredient because of this. I am not a developer, but I would expect fixing potions isn't too much more difficult than some other things they are working on now, and fixing it now rather than later will mean potions are permanently ready to go.
screenshot_2016-08-20_21-31-49.jpg

The glaring issue is just that things are inconsistent. Below is when things went right. I was getting the blue out of the way of the greens. The biggest point is just that when ingredients combine properly--especially in large numbers--a massive amount of space is freed. When they don't, it makes an extreme clog, which we can't work with.
screenshot_2016-08-20_13-31-27.jpg screenshot_2016-08-20_13-31-28.jpg screenshot_2016-08-20_13-31-29.jpg screenshot_2016-08-20_13-31-30.jpg
I will leave you alone on this now, I just wanted to pass on my frustrations. I thought it would be something I could perhaps get used to, but intermediate potions shouldn't be this far out of reach in my mind. Troubleshooting is a handy skill in many life activities, and puzzle games like potions are fantastic for that training of the brain. But when things go all over the place, it's very frustrating.

I know we've already come to a fair conclusion, but I am posting this to ask that this maybe move up the priority list a little bit.

This alignment should be impossible in the game...you can see that almost across the board the player is out of space. Now look in the three columns rising. See all of the tier 3 ingredients? I was trying to form tier threes to pull ingredients out of the columns to lower them for playing space. Down in the left corner with the five crab extracts are where I was working to form essence of crab earlier. But every time I formed a new ingredient, instead of pulling out of the columns down and to the center, new ingredients went up and added to the problem. So many opportunities were lost to finish one final ingredient because of this. I am not a developer, but I would expect fixing potions isn't too much more difficult than some other things they are working on now, and fixing it now rather than later will mean potions are permanently ready to go.
View attachment 70645
The glaring issue is just that things are inconsistent. Below is when things went right. I was getting the blue out of the way of the greens. The biggest point is just that when ingredients combine properly--especially in large numbers--a massive amount of space is freed. When they don't, it makes an extreme clog, which we can't work with.
View attachment 70647 View attachment 70648 View attachment 70650 View attachment 70651
I will leave you alone on this now, I just wanted to pass on my frustrations. I thought it would be something I could perhaps get used to, but intermediate potions shouldn't be this far out of reach in my mind. Troubleshooting is a handy skill in many life activities, and puzzle games like potions are fantastic for that training of the brain. But when things go all over the place, it's very frustrating.
We are aware of the bugs you have shown with Potions. I assure you, all of your reports are being investigated and will be addressed as the game progresses. Thank you for all of the research :)

A potential fix for this has been identified and implemented by @Christofosho , but that mod has not made its way to the alpha server yet (it will be part of the next update, 1.12.4 iirc). If his theory is correct, turns out it was not an issue with the client code, but with the underlying implementation of the Python version in use for TLOPO. If that's the case, it explains why we originally asserted there were no known issues with the potions code itself.

If you can, be on the lookout for the next alpha update, to see if this very insidious bug is now fixed. Thanks to you and @Bo Hanson for pointing this one out; it's anything but an obvious problem.

Thanks!
Dean

I think the staff is doing an amazing job, they bring back the game for us for free, I will always help them in anyway that I can. I think potions work very well for being alpha and I am sure any minor bugs with it will be fixed someday in the future. They have my full support and respect.

My issue whenever brewing tho:

*Has a double tower with 1 space before the top of the board and a gap between the 2 towers*
*Drops a tier 1 ingredient between 2 of the same ingredient at the bottom of the gap*
*TIER 2 INGREDIENT IS MADE UNDER ONE OF THE TOWERS*

I noticed this as well. It's not annoying now per se but if this isn't fixed when by the time people have to make advanced ingredients we might have a harder time making them :p

I noticed this as well. It's not annoying now per se but if this isn't fixed when by the time people have to make advanced ingredients we might have a harder time making them :p
I mastered my potions on all my pirates on potco by brewing a single potion ghastly visage that make you change color. That potion is easy to make and give good exp. You will master faster using only that than any of the other because in the time it take you to make one of the higher ones for good exp you can make 2 or maybe even 3 ghastly visage which will give you twice the exp in the same amount of time.

I mastered my potions on all my pirates on potco by brewing a single potion ghastly visage that make you change color. That potion is easy to make and give good exp. You will master faster using only that than any of the other because in the time it take you to make one of the higher ones for good exp you can make 2 or maybe even 3 ghastly visage which will give you twice the exp in the same amount of time.
Yes but he is saying that when pirate masters potions he/she may wish to brew some high lv potions because they have fun effects,not because of exp.Like Addled Elixir potion.Also last time i brewed ghastly visage i noticed it doesn't work.

Yes but he is saying that when pirate masters potions he/she may wish to brew some high lv potions because they have fun effects,not because of exp.Like Addled Elixir potion.Also last time i brewed ghastly visage i noticed it doesn't work.
I brewed ghastly visage yesterday and it worked just fine, but yes I know what you mean about making the other potions once you master it, and it is still possible to make them. I am sure they devs will get to fixing that bug someday in the future it is a minor bug tho one that can wait since there are bigger fish to fry at the moment.

You guys are still having trouble with potions? The last update fixed it for me, everything works as it did in potco for me. Ingredients form at the center. So it may be an issue specific to your game/computer. Interesting that you chose ghastly visage for your potion of choice to make. I repeatedly make those in the swift foot chain, and my brother brought lively bucko brew to the table as well, since it is completely made up of blue ingredients.

Anyway, good luck to you, and I hope if you have a bug it gets fixed!

Back