Announcement PSA: Internet Security & Sharing Personal Info

Hey, everyone. I just wanted to address a topic of importance that I feel needs to be emphasized as of late.

With the Internet being a prevalent source of communication for many, sometimes individuals overstep their bounds and communicate inappropriately with the intent of capturing others' personal details for their own malicious usage. These people take advantage of those who are unwary and uneducated for two purposes: to create a profit and to benefit themselves in some other way - be it satisfaction, creating a scheme, or anything along those lines.

I'd like to remind everyone to always be cautious on the Internet. If someone requests your personal information such as your full name, address, and phone number, you need to be cautious. Even if you've been talking to this person for months on the Internet and they seem like a trustworthy individual, they can easily be a fraud and only want your personal information to negatively affect you somehow.

Probably the only time where it is acceptable to input extremely personal details into a computer is through some means of data transport that is encrypted with SSL/TLS (such as websites having the green "lock" and https in the URL). Otherwise, you should be skeptical and refuse to give your information.

As someone with a background in IT, I've previously compiled a guide on Internet security that can be found by clicking here. I encourage you all to review this write-up and educate yourselves about the importance of Internet security, social engineering, and the ways that attackers/malicious individuals try to get a hold of your personal data for their own benefit. By being familiar with these topics, you thwart and discourage attackers from gaining what they desire.

Be skeptical; be stubborn; be inquisitive; and most of all, be informed.

JFR

Hey, everyone. I just wanted to address a topic of importance that I feel needs to be emphasized as of late.

With the Internet being a prevalent source of communication for many, sometimes individuals overstep their bounds and communicate inappropriately with the intent of capturing others' personal details for their own malicious usage. These people take advantage of those who are unwary and uneducated for two purposes: to create a profit and to benefit themselves in some other way - be it satisfaction, creating a scheme, or anything along those lines.

I'd like to remind everyone to always be cautious on the Internet. If someone requests your personal information such as your full name, address, and phone number, you need to be cautious. Even if you've been talking to this person for months on the Internet and they seem like a trustworthy individual, they can easily be a fraud and only want your personal information to negatively affect you somehow.

Probably the only time where it is acceptable to input extremely personal details into a computer is through some means of data transport that is encrypted with SSL/TLS (such as websites having the green "lock" and https in the URL). Otherwise, you should be skeptical and refuse to give your information.

As someone with a background in IT, I've previously compiled a guide on Internet security that can be found by clicking here. I encourage you all to review this write-up and educate yourselves about the importance of Internet security, social engineering, and the ways that attackers/malicious individuals try to get a hold of your personal data for their own benefit. By being familiar with these topics, you thwart and discourage attackers from gaining what they desire.

JFR
you didnt include not trsut people who are giveing you hack links while

Thanks for posting that @John Foulroberts, i remember one experience sometime ago where a user on a Facebook group posted a suspicious link. Me being uncertain went ahead and checked out the link and when it became clear it was a fake facebook website immediately changed my email and all that important info for my FB account after deleting the entire post the link was on and posted on that same group warning everyone to avoid such stuff in the future.

Scary moment for sure.

Morning pirates :), i need some help, can i come from your houses to help me?give me your address, :laugh::happy: joking, and i want reply that this post is very important cuz ask your selfs why have a friend on pc while you can have a friend in real(school friend or something), spend times with them and not on fantastic friends on pc that you cant even know if they exist like they talk for theyr selfs.
If you understand my english then i give you a chocolate but just get to my car and we will have fun :D joke.
(Adding some examples for fun :D)

Morning pirates :), i need some help, can i come from your houses to help me?give me your address, :laugh::happy: joking, and i want reply that this post is very important cuz ask your selfs why have a friend on pc while you can have a friend in real(school friend or something), spend times with them and not on fantastic friends on pc that you cant even know if they exist like they talk for theyr selfs.
If you understand my english then i give you a chocolate but just get to my car and we will have fun :D joke.
(Adding some examples for fun :D)
xD !!!!!!!!! :D :laugh: *Walks in side car sits in front seat :D :p

MatrixMeme_hacking.png
:p true... true... mysterious man :O

JFR

Ah but... what if YOU cannot be trusted? ;P

I want to reply to this post because it is very important to ask yourselves, why have a friend on PC when you can just have a friend in real life? (school friend or something)
Well if you live out in the middle of no where and you are home schooled you can't really get "real" friends. I think anyone I socialize with on PC is a real friend to me :p

i rephrased the quote, i'm not meaning to be rude:)

I think most people on this forum are mature and aware but for those who aren't, just be wary, you can speak to anybody you want just don't give personal details that could identify you.

Back