Raiders Of The Lost Arrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamcatcher

Honorable Pirate
Raiders Of The Lost Arrr

chapter 1

The rusty pick axe shattered the lock on the front of the skull chest, and Ramon bent down and picked it up from the dirt and tossed it back into the open pit that it had just been dragged from. I leaped down from the rock that I was brazenly Flexing Mightily atop of, and helped Ramon lift the creaking, frozen lid on the skull, once again praying silently that this madness would now finally come to an end .

"Is only another map Christina, just the same as all the other chests, nothing more. I do not think we will ever find this object you seek, we are just chasing the wild goosed." I reached into the chest for the map, and stuffed it inside my faded black puffy shirt, which I am told is torn in all the right places, and handed the bottle of rum to Ramon.

"These chests are like walking through a maze" I explained, "It may seem like we are getting nowhere, but with each one, we are getting closer to it, I can feel it. And if I hear that kind of talk again my handsome little deary, it will be my whip that ye feel wild goosing ye backside." Ramon handed the bottle back, and replied with a laugh, "Si senorita, Ramon would very much like to see the other uses you have for that whip, I am sure that you know a great many."

I put the rum back in my pack, and grinned broadly back at him, saying, "You always could manage to make me smile, no matter how badly I felt. When I look back, I don't know how I would have survived after father was murdered without you, Ramon. There just aren't enough words in any language for me to convey how I feel about you."

He took out the bag of crackers that he seemed to have carried with him his entire life, and handed me one. I had never seen a person who liked crackers so much, I thought to myself. He swallowed the cracker and said, "Your father, he always treat Ramon very well, almost as if a son" Ramon began, just as if he hadn't told me this story more times than I could count.

"Even at the age ten Ramon could see very bad things in future, a filthy jail cell if I was very lucky, and a headstone if I was not. The street is no place for small boy, it make him old too soon. He give me home and better future, and he teach Ramon to become strong man, with a good head up on his neck. Your father were very good man, but he always have too much trust inside him Christina, and the cur of a dog who take advantage of that was coward, men do not shoot in back. My knife will rest in his belly someday senorita, as I speak your fathers name in his craven ear.

"Enough!" I finally yelled at him, "I really wish you would stop saying "Your father" Ramon, because honesty, I am getting sick to death of hearing that" I growled, staring at him angrily. "From the moment that you stepped through the door, he became "Our father", and there has never been a single time in my life that I did not think of you as my big brother. Simply being born into a family is not an overly special trick, but when you are chosen to be in a family, that is special. You were just as much his child as I was, and at times I think, perhaps more. So please begin calling him what he was. Our father."

"Si Christina, I am sorry, I will honor our father, there were never nothing Ramon ever want more than to be his son. My real father never no want to be one, so he run away and never return. That more than anything help kill my mother, I want never to see him again. It seem loco now, but Ramon always jealous of hearing you say "father", while I feel I could never." I dug out the rum again and handed it to Ramon, as he went on talking.

"He once tell me of a great darkness that enter his house when your mother unexpectedly die giving birth to you, and he refuse to even see you for weeks, he no see anyone. When he finally do, he say that he look down in crib and he see your mother in your eyes, and the light suddenly return to house when he see you smile."

"Your... our father, tell me once that he have everything he want in this life, and he now need nothing more but to see you face always smile in his heart. So, when he die, I decide that it time Ramon repay all he has been given in life, a good father and a beautiful sister, and it now my job to make sure that you still smile for inside his heart."

I looked up and stared into Ramon's unwaveringly piercing brown eyes, and then had to quickly turn away. Absentmindedly, I began fumbling with my whip, running my fingers slowly up and down the hard leather coil hanging limply off my hip. Biting softly on the corner of my lip while I shook my head, I picked up the bottle of rum from the rock and finally managed to quietly mumble, "Jesus. Can someone please tell me why the hell all the good ones seem to be either married, or my "brother?" Okay, I guess there were a few times I hadn't thought of him as my brother.

We took the leaky skiff back to the ship, and I rolled the map out on the desk in my cabin, while Ramon cooked the fish we had caught in the nets in what he called, "a delightfully zesty pomegranate infused vinaigrette, with "truffle kissed" Brussels sprouts." As I studied the map, I wondered silently which would kill me first, something that was guarding these chests, or Ramon's mail order French cooking classes.

He brought in two plates as I was staring at the map, and asked, "So where are we going now senorita, the end of the world?" "Not quite that far" I said, pointing at the island to the left of the grog stain I had clumsily spilled onto the map. "A lovely fly speck of dirt in the middle of nowhere known as Raven's Cove. It says that the next chest is buried in a sand mound near an altar with an idol on top of it. The winding caves have been mostly deserted for years, well, that is unless you believe all the crazy stories of the ghosties of cursed miners running around in the tunnels."

"And if it is another map we find inside this chest," Ramon questioned between mouthfuls of purple tinted fish, "What will we do then? Shall we search for this object until we are old and grey, or half mad? You still have not told me what this object we seek is, and I think it is time that you start to 'splainin' to me about this foolish search."

Ramon walked over to the cabinet, and brought back two glasses and the bottle of very expensive cognac we had taken from the short, and quite angry Frenchman, who had tried to steal the first map from us. Figuring that he had little use for the fine spirits, what with being tied in his frilly lavender colored underwear to the tree like that, the bottle had gone into my bag. He poured half the bottle in my glass, set it down in front of me, and declared, "You will drink now, and you will loosen that infuriatingly tight tongue you have had since a child. Please Christina, tell me just what this thing is that we are chasing in circles."

"The object we are seeking is called "The Emulator" I answered, taking a large drink of the cognac. "Where the object originated from is unknown, but it is believed to hold the power of life and death over all online worlds inside of it, and can create new, or it can remake any game that was ever made." I took another drink of the cognac and continued.

"Walt discovered the Emulator in Africa during the 1950s while doing one of his many nature documentaries in the jungles. The natives there had found it buried in a cave, and they were using it to fill a dusty hole in the belly button of one of their giant monkey statues. Walt, always known for being the shrewd businessman, had traded them a nice, shiny Magic Kingdom ashtray for it."

"Walt returned to America, where the Emulator supposedly remained locked in his private safe until after his death in 1966, his two daughters being the only ones that even knew of its existence." I pushed the cold plate of radioactive looking fish away, and pondered my empty cognac glass.

"In 1974 the Emulator was connected to ARPAnet, the primitive forerunner of the internet, and in a very short time it had created "Mazewar", technically the first MMO. Many more would soon follow, and in time, the Emulator began learning from, and correcting, its past mistakes, almost as if it was becoming self aware."

"So what you say is, this Emasculator just have power to create and run games? Nothing else? That is why you drag Ramon on this errand of fools?" He stood, and began cleaning up the dinner plates, clearly upset with me. "There is more to it than that Ramon" I tried to explain, "They aren't merely games anymore, it has gone beyond that, most of them are real worlds now."

I poured the rest of the cognac into my glass as Ramon put the plates back down. "Real?" he questioned, "What do you mean, the games are real?" "I mean" I replied, taking a huge gulp of cognac, "The people in them all are flesh and blood, living, breathing, and taking out the damm trash on Tuesdays real " I answered. "At some point the Emulator began creating sentient life, and everything in those games it made are now thinking and reasoning creatures. And if I don't find it soon, they will all die."

"Eighteen months ago the Emulator disappeared from the locked and guarded tower at Disneyland. There was a massive search conducted by the heavily armed Disney Secret Service Ops, the Pixar Seal Team squads, and the recently acquired Empire Stormtrooper battalions, but it was never found. The search was ended shortly before the Avengers and the Incredibles were brought in, as Iger apparently saw the price tag for the operation."

"The worlds it created are now becoming increasingly unstable without the Emulator's constant presence to feed off" I explained. "Some of the realms are drifting between the game zones and our zones, while others are becoming trapped somewhere in between. Those unlucky ones await a slow and agonizing death as their worlds begin to crumble beneath them. Raven's Cove may not even be there by the time we reach it, or we may be dragged back with it if we stay too long."

"You are mad my dear sister, or you are drunk" Ramon cursed at me. "A monkey's belly button creating life? We should return home, for you need a long siesta." I downed the last of the cognac, then looked him in the eye and said, "Always the one with his head out of the clouds, and his feet firmly on the ground. If you can't touch it or explain it, then it doesn't exist, just like father was. Well, this does exist, and I will find it, with or without you, my brother."

I turned and walked over to the starboard wall of the cabin, and stared out the porthole at the stars overhead, now seeing twice as many. Dang, that is good cognac. Ramon picked up the plates and as he was leaving, said, "I do not believe we will find this Holy Grail of yours, this sound like the fairy stories father would tell us as children. I do believe this will end very bad. Each chest we find seem to be now taking things out of us, instead of other way, and then give us another map, so as to take even more. Soon we will be left with nothing in ourselves if we continue this, but if that is your wish, I cannot stop you."

"We will sail for this Raven's Cove in morning Christina" Ramon declared, "But if chest is filled with more monkey belly lint, Ramon will find another use for that whip." I stumbled over to my bunk as Ramon slammed the cabin door, and plopped myself down onto it, feeling the entire boat spinning underneath me. I closed my eyes and heard a lonely Right Whale gently begin singing for a mate off in the distance, as I pulled the blanket over my head and hoped that the anguishing dreams would please just leave me in peace tonight.

End chapter 1

Some really "good" themes going on here within this story. My most favorite line of all? (See below):cool:
"You are mad my dear sister, or you are drunk" Ramon cursed at me. "A monkey's belly button creating life? We should return home, for you need a long siesta."
Charles-Darwin.jpg

- I really enjoy this story, @Dreamcatcher. A "wonderful" writing and I can't wait to read more. ;)

Thank you, Shamus, and I'm glad you are enjoying the story so far. I am sure I will ... enjoy ... the monkey visual, which will most likely be invading my dreams for quite some time. And for the record, the story was not designed as a slam against Emulators, it is merely about the way they have conducted their business so far, and the affect it has had/could have upon the forum. Just putting that forth for the jury to deliberate before the hanging.

The belly button line is credited (facetiously) to the latest theory being kicked around the "liberal bastions of higher learning" ---"Darwin got it wrong, we did not come from the apes, we came from their magic belly buttons...."

Raiders Of The Lost Arrr

Chapter 2

Waking with a pounding head, and a spectacular cognac hangover, we set sail at first light, the fickle, non existent wind being anything but our friend. Perfect I thought to myself, nothing I was looking forward to more than a painfully slow trip filled with awkward silences and stolen glances between us, not exactly a Disney dream cruise vacation.

Emerging on deck, the angry morning sun rising greeted my eyes like a distempered mother in law. I walked over to the rain barrel by the stack of rusty cannon balls, which was next to the rusty, broken cannon, and plunged my head deep into the cool, crisp water.

Lifting my head from the barrel and brushing my hair back, the chilly water felt good running down my body, and made me feel somewhat human again. Determined to defuse the impending dreadful quiet that I saw blowing over us like an approaching storm cloud, I walked over and hopped up on the crate next to Ramon and stared out at the waveless ocean.

"Father would have hated all of this too, he always liked to have his phenomenons explainable" I finally said, still looking out at the unmoving ocean. "And you have grown up to be so much like him, my dear brother, it often scares me how much alike you two became. He always loved the both of us equally, but he could never hide the pride that was on his face when he looked at you. I guess that I should have been jealous, but I always looked at you the same way too."

Ramon turned the wheel a notch to port, then looked over at me appearing very tired, and finally spoke, "Why do you do this loco quest Christina, and why is this fairy tale object so important to you?" I shook my head at him and then looked away, "I honestly don't know" I replied.

"I lay awake most nights thinking about it, feeling that I just need to be able to hold it in my hands, to know that it really exists. When I do finally sleep, that is when the dreams come, and I begin to hear the screams of the poor souls that are trapped inside the games, calling out to me and pleading for me to come to them. Perhaps I AM going mad, I just wish that I could still tell the difference between determination and madness, but that boat seems to have sailed from my harbor."

Ramon turned the ship very slightly into the slowly growing wind, and said nothing. He reached in his pocket and handed me a sour ball, just as father had always done with us as children, and then finally said, "You are madder than a great many in this world Christina, but you are not as mad as some. I still do not believe this Emoliator exists, but Ramon will stay and help. I think if I no stay, I probably have the truly crazy little sister with the no sleepy raccoon eyes face soon."

I gave Ramon a silly grin and stuck my tongue out at him, then looked out over the bow at the island that was coming into view, and shook my head and offered it a confused frown. I took out my spyglass and began scanning over the horizon, looking for some sort of landmark to get our bearings with. Taking out the navigation map and studying it for a few minutes, I shook my head again and said to Ramon, "Nothing is right here. There are islands that are not on the map, and the ones that are on it are gone." I handed the glass to Ramon, and he looked at the map and studied the area, while shaking his head, whispering, "Holy guacamolasses."

"We must have drift off course, we are not where we are going to" Ramon said, still surveying the area around us. "No" I replied, looking at the compass and then back at the map again. "We are where we are going to, unfortunately, the "Where" has gone someplace else." "Islands do not move from place to place" Ramon declared, "The compass must be broken." I pointed to our heading, and then to the morning sun in our faces, and said, "Then we are also going to need a new sun, because it's broken too then."

I looked out with the glass again, then went to my cabin and found my online game maps, and returned to the deck and spread them out. "There" I pointed to off the starboard side, "If I'm not mistaken that appears to be Bloodmyst Isle from Warcraft, it certainly isn't Barbados, which is what should be there." Ramon looked at the map and his eyes grew wide, was he finally beginning to believe me?

"This cannot be, these maps must be wrong" he stated. I should have known it wasn't going to be that easy, he is of course his father's son. I pointed to another map, then to port side, and asked, "Maybe it's me, but that sure looks like Runescape's Braindeath Island, and isn't that the Bleakrock Isle Lighthouse from ESO just past it?"

Ramon stared out at the now foreign islands that were dotting the horizon, and said nothing, either unable, or completely unwilling to believe what he was seeing. I decided that it was best not to push him too quickly into this Twilight Zone that was forming around us, one near insane person in the family was probably enough.

As we passed the lighthouse, another island suddenly appeared in the distance, this one with large flocks of ravens circling over it. "There it is" I said, "It isn't a very pretty place, but we won't be staying long, and if we do, we might end up staying forever." Ramon guided us through the rocks, and we dropped anchor and began lowering the skiff into the water. "Relax" I said as he rowed us in, "The ghost stories are probably all a bunch of rot, the most dangerous thing here will probably be trying not to step in any raven sheet."

We pulled ashore on Raven's Cove, and made our way up the twisting path to the town center, for lack of a better term for the dried up cesspool of dirt. In the middle of the road ahead we saw a crazy looking man named Ned, who was stumbling around the the area, while flailing his arms and screaming something about seeing ghosts. I guessed that the only ghosts he was seeing had come from out of the bottom of a rum barrel.

A plump chicken by the odd name of Senor Fantifico wandered out from behind a building, began flapping his wings, and then proceeded to lazily cross the road. I wasn't sure as to his reasons for crossing the road, so I was left with just assuming the obvious. He suddenly began clucking loudly and running madly in circles when he saw us standing there, then the frenzied fowl goosestepped onto a rock, took a swan dive over the fence, and then ducked through a doorway. As I watched this manic display, I immediately made a mental note not to inquire as to why the heck someone would name a chicken Senor Fantifico.

As we went to turn the corner, I glanced back at Ned, who was still stumbling around waving and raving, and I whispered, "I sort of like having him around, in comparison he makes me feel like I'm not so messed up. Do you think we can we keep him?" Shaking his head as we went around the bend, I heard Ramon gasp to no one, "Aye, carumba."

The elevator looked as if it hadn't been used in years, the rusty hand crank still worked though, and it took us down to the path leading to the caves. We passed an alcove about halfway down the path, and an angry fire bat came flying out at us, I suppose we had disturbed his mid morning nap. I ducked as it flew past my head, and lifted the whip from my belt, watching him blindly flutter in the morning sunlight.

The whip snapped loudly, wrapping around the bat, and jerked back, slamming it into the rock sides of the path. The bat exploded against the rock wall, sending Ramon tumbling to the ground and landing with a thud on his backside. He rose as I was cleaning the ashy blood off the whip, rubbed his butt, and said, "Please Christina, can we not just shoot them next time, si?"

We walked a bit further up the path, and then both of us came to a dead stop as we stared at it in front of us. I have no idea who it was that had decided that it was a good idea to build a rickety rope suspension bridge over what looked to be about a half mile drop, but he most likely possessed a huge pair of brass ones, in my opinion. We wasted no time in getting the heck across the bridge, and even though I am not an overly religious person, I paused for a moment to thank the man upstairs when we had reached the other side.

Entering the caves there was a dull illumination coming from all around us, most likely the minerals in the walls giving off light. The lit torches in the pathways were a bit harder to explain. "There has to be someone down here" I said, drawing my pistol, "Stay together, and be prepared for company." Ramon drew his sawed off boomstick, and we headed off down the main tunnel, both of us quiet as a mouses tech support hotline.

It didn't take very long for us to find out that the stories were true, the first miner was on us almost immediately, stepping out from inside a solid wall. It was holding a pick axe and gruffly informed us that, "You are not dead, you don't belong here! Soon you will belong!"
Ramon leveled the shotgun on the miner, and the blast echoed throughout the tunnel, and we watched as the miner melted away into the floor. "He is not very strong, I thought the ghosts they were better fighters" Ramon said, while looking in the odd pouch that had appeared on the ground where the miner had been.

For the rest of the journey now, I would be left with these nagging questions as to just why a burly, undead miner would be carrying five dollars gold and a dingy brown blouse around with him. At least he hadn't been holding a flirty and frilly pink frock, I thought to myself ... um, not that there's anything wrong with that.

We proceeded forward toward the back section where the idol was supposed to be located, and as we came to a shallow pool of water at the bottom of a hill, two more miners attacked, this time a man and a woman. It was nice to see there are equal opportunity working conditions in the afterlife, although I hadn't seen any undead women bosses around this joint yet. Perhaps it was just an innocent oversight at the Inhuman Relations department.

Ramon separated the pick axe from the miner, along with most of the man's arm, with the shotgun. The whip wrapped around the hand of the woman with the machete in it, and I yanked her to the ground, my boot coming down on the hand. Ramon was struggling with the man in the pool of water, while I wrestled with the woman for the machete. The blade fell to the ground with a clang, as my eyes darted around the tunnel for a weapon to use on this chick who possessed the unholiest case of grave breath I have ever witnessed.

Ramon pulled on the pole with the skull on top of it, and brought it down hard on the miners head, then pushed it under its chin. He reached behind him and took out his single shot boomtwig with an exploding on impact steelshot round, and inserted it tightly into the miners hairy nose. "Ramon hope they teach miners to swim, my friend" he said as he squeezed the trigger. The miners head disappeared in a flash, as the rest of him sank into the shallow pool of water. "I am sorry my friend, but it seem that Ramon no make the good lifeguard."

I saw the sharp metal rod that was sticking out of the wall near the doorway as I wrestled with the miner, and said to her, "Y'know, I think I just thought of the perfect nickname for you, lady." I snapped my head back and head butted her, knocking her off balance, then pushed her as hard as I could backwards, driving her into it. I watched as she began melting into the ground, saying as she left me, "Don't worry, I'll put in a good word for ya for that boss's job. See ya around, Spike."

Sitting down on the big rock to catch my breath, I took out the bottle of rum and Ramon came over and sat next to me, eating a cracker. Taking the bottle I was holding out to him, he lifted it high, and took a very large drink from it and said, "This is what happen when Ramon no keep his head out of clouds and feets down on ground." I grabbed him and gave him a huge bear hug and said, "Who says you aren't a good lifeguard, my dashing deary? From where I'm sitting, you've been guarding mine for most of my life."

End chapter 2

"We must have drift off course, we are not where we are going to" Ramon said, still surveying the area around us. "No" I replied, looking at the compass and then back at the map again. "We are where we are going to, unfortunately, the "Where" has gone someplace else." "Islands do not move from place to place" Ramon declared, "The compass must be broken." I pointed to our heading, and then to the morning sun in our faces, and said, "Then we are also going to need a new sun, because it's broken too then."
Really, it's just like a "guy" to get lost and not want to ask anyone else for directions...:cool:
...As I watched this manic display, I immediately made a mental note not to inquire as to why the heck someone would name a chicken Senor Fantifico.
No kidding, as I was reading this I was eating a bone-less chicken breast for lunch and as I looked down (after reading this) I was a bit perplexed as to the name of "my" chicken as well, lol.
:chicken dance:
...Sitting down on the big rock to catch my breath, I took out the bottle of rum and Ramon came over and sat next to me, eating a cracker.
Man, those crackers...ha, ha.
...The blade fell to the ground with a clang, as my eyes darted around the tunnel for a weapon to use on this chick who possessed the unholiest case of grave breath I have ever witnessed.
Thank you for "reminding" me (through this Chapter) of how things were on Raven's Cove. I guess these last couple of years have affected my own memory and it was fun to think about how things actually were, on POTCO. :thanks:

Hey, I wanted to stop at a gas station for directions, but Ramon just handed me a cracker and said, "Me know way better than Slurpee guy. And get that 70's crap off radio, please." I love him, but he's a caveman that listens to Depeche Mode cover bands. Oy.

I am sorry for the unintentional indigestion...passes Tums...and hopes you weren't eating "Billy", I think I left him pecking on Padres when Potco closed. Poor Billy.

As time passes, I am also forgetting much of the islands myself, which is sad, but inevitable. Many of the memories now come from screenshots, some of which are in my albums, if you care to peruse. I wish I knew you could take them in the old days, as some people and memories are now gone forever. You're welcome, and I am glad I could jog a Potco memory or two, for there is no fire that can warm one on a cold night as much as a good memory.

Raiders Of The Lost Arrr

Chapter 3

We wound our way slowly through the dank and dimly lit tunnels, and finally made it down to the Idol Room, leaving bloody pools of undead miners in our wake. Entering the room, we saw that there was still a glitched dog and a clucking chicken standing over in the far corner, looking much the same as the day their owners had clicked them to life. It was no wonder Disney had never released pets until that end of days fire sale, and it was still mind boggling to me that small things like that seemed to be so far past them.

The chicken went on pecking eternally at the sand mound it was standing on, and I pointed at it and said, "Let's dig this thing up and get out of here, before any more of these rude ghosties show up, it appears that they all suffer from para-abnormal anger management issues." Ramon nodded and took the shovel out of the pack, and headed over to the left side of the idol. Four more ghosts suddenly appeared around the idol, and barred our way to the sand mound.

Ramon dropped the shovel and drew the boomstick, as I uncoiled the whip and pulled out my repeater. "Wait until they move together in group" Ramon whispered to me. "Take out the two on the left first" I suggested, "Then our odds will be evener." "My dear sister" Ramon quipped, "I no think you know what evens are, because you only seem to have odds." I stuck my tongue out at him again, as the shotgun echoed through the room, cutting a bloody swath through the two on the left, and we watched as they melted into the ground, with their midsections painting a gory picture on the wall behind them.

The two to the right snapped their heads around, and then drew their swords and approached us. Ramon quickly raised the shotgun at the ghost girls head, which exploded spectacularly, much like a Gallagher watermelon under his mighty Sledge-O-Matic. My pistol jammed, and the other miner knocked me to the ground with the base of his sword, then savagely attacked Ramon, while grabbing the barrel of the gun and tossing it aside.

The miner threw Ramon against the wall like a rag doll, and then took a jeweled dagger from his belt and buried it deep in Ramon's stomach. He slumped slowly to the ground as the miner picked up the sword, and raised it high to finish off Ramon. I grabbed the whip next to me as I rose to my feet, and cracked it around the sword, ripping it out of the miners hand and sending it flying off behind the idol. "I think they are playing our song, Mr Miner" I mocked at him, "May I have this zombie dance, my decaying darling?"

Backing up towards the idol as he lurched after me, I could see his eyes glowing an unearthly red inside their rotting and sunken sockets. I took another step back, and naturally being the gracefully agile swan that I am, fell butt over tea kettle on top of Spot the wonder dog, who had wandered over behind me. I cursed at Disney, and then cursed the clucking chicken, who appeared to be laughing at me from behind Spot, as the angry miner landed with a thud on top of me, grabbed me by the throat, and began choking the life out of me.

I gauged my fingers at his glowing eyes, and clawed at his already mangled face, but he didn't seem to even feel it, he only began squeezing on my neck tighter. Just as the room was going black and I was about to pass out, I felt the miner stiffen against me, and his grip loosened on my neck and I began gasping for breath. His red eyes stopped glowing, and he slumped down on top of me and dissolved into the ground beneath me.
It still felt hard to breathe, but I assumed the blood stained pick axe that was laying on my chest may have had something to do with that. I pushed it off of me and saw Ramon standing over me, holding a bandana to his gut, and saying, "Are you through now playing in the sand? Let us dig up this Emulsifier, and leave this unholy place. Quickly, Christina."

Taking the shovel, I began digging, all at once terrified that the Emulator wasn't here, that it would be just another map, that would in turn lead us to yet another map. Was Ramon right? Were we just being as fools, blindly running around on some endless wild goose chase, on the unproven word of a scrap of paper? I began to dig faster as I saw the bandana becoming a darker red, and heard Ramon wincing in pain when he moved.

I knew then that if we made it out of here alive with just a map, I would have to give up this quest forever. Ramon would follow me to the end of the earth to try to protect me from harm, as I would him, but I no longer felt that I had the right to ask this of him. In that moment I decided that, one way or another, this Emulator nonsense would simply end here, for I will not risk losing him over a tale that may be just that, a tale.

The shovel struck something hard, and I heard a dull clanging sound, like it had hit metal. Dropping down to my knees, I began feverishly scooping clumps of dirt away with my hands, until I saw it. The golden bands on the top of the skull chest peeking through the dirt was like an intoxicant, and I began to dig faster as I uncovered the skull lock on its face.

Ramon handed me the pick axe and said coldly, "Open it Christina, and then we may sail off to next place that will promise us deliverance of this phantom of yours. I have watched as you become darker and more desperate with each chest you open, almost as you are ready to sell your soul for this Emulatte. Everything we have known will soon be devoured by it's hunger, until all that remain will be emptiness and silence. It is a grand story that is sung by the angels, but one that has devils guarding its every lie. Open the chest Christina, and I will either follow you down your path to insanity, or to our graves."

I stared back as he clutched the bandana to his stomach, and I felt the axe fall out of my hand and heard it clang to the ground. "No Ramon" I replied, "It's over, I am not going to sail you around on my sea of madness any longer. If I listen to the voices telling me to open it, then another piece of me will be taken away, and I just don't have enough left of me anymore to spare. I've been listening to too many voices telling me only what I wanted to hear, and I should have been listening to the ones telling me what I needed to hear. I'm sorry, and you really have become just like father, and I thank God for that."

Ramon reached down and gave me his hand, and helped me up from the pit, and said, "We go home now Christina, and I make you some pudding, and we listen to fathers records and we get very drunk. Then you sleep and pretend this has been just the bad dream, it already has cause enough trouble." I nodded, while looking down at the bandana, and said, "Doctor first though, and then drunk. Now let's get the hell out of here, before my brother bleeds to death."

We left the unopened chest exposed, perhaps for the next foolhardy adventurer that would surely come along, and made our way back into the tunnels. I had Ramon leaning on one arm to steady him, and the boomstick in the other, as we approached the first clearing.

There were two miners standing there waiting for us, each had bloody pick axes in their dirt stained hands, and clearly had no intention of being our tour guides out of here. "Great" I said to Ramon, "It looks like we'll be fighting our way back to our liquor cabinet." "Si Christina" Ramon answered, drawing a dagger from his belt, "And it unlucky for them Ramon is very thirsty."

We took a step closer to them, and as I raised the gun their way, I felt the earth begin to shake underneath our feet. The miners began fading in and out in front of us, and we heard a howl of wind sweeping through the vast tunnels, and I turned to Ramon and said, "Oh God, this can't be a good thing. We really have to leave this place five minutes ago."

"What is happening, Christina? The tunnel she seem upset" Ramon questioned. "I think it's going back to where it came from" I said. "And I'm not sure if we can go with it. We need to go, NOW!" The earth shook again, and the miners dissolved into the ground, as we saw pieces of the ceiling and walls beginning to crumble all around us. I began dragging Ramon by the arm and yelling at him to move faster, as large chunks of stone and dirt fell behind us, burying the idol room and the accursed skull chest underneath it.

We turned the corner to see two more miners waiting with daggers, who swung around when they heard our voices, and lunged at us. I blasted the ugly one with the boomstick, and it melted into the dirt, as the uglier one kept approaching. The earth shook again, and a sink hole the size of a Buick opened up under it, and sucked him into the black crater, as more debris rained down from above. I pulled Ramon to get him moving, as a thick slab of ceiling landed on his back, knocking him to the ground.

I began trying to drag the large man across the ground and out of the tunnel, as the walls began giving way, and the ceiling started crumbling down on us. The island was returning to where it belonged, and it seemed that we had run out of time, we would not make it out. Ramon had been right when he had said the Emulator would be the death of us, but of course, I hadn't listened to him, for I had thought that I had known it all.

Lying on top of Ramon to try to shield him from the falling stones, I whispered, "I am sorry my dear brother, so very sorry that I dragged you into this mess, it is all my fault." Ramon stirred under me, and said, "No Christina, it was not, it was the fates that sent us here, escaping them is not possible. Ramon feel blessed though, how many are able to see face they would choose to see before they go? I love you Christina, and we will see father soon."

I wrapped my arms around him and said, "I cannot imagine my life without you in it, Ramon. Sometimes the fates can be bitterly cruel, but other times they may bring you more joy than you know that you ever deserved, and you have given me that, my brother." I kissed his cheek and rested my head on his chest, and we both closed are eyes, as the entire ceiling came down, and the walls of the tunnel collapsed on top of us......

........ Just as I awoke screaming, and fell out of the bed onto the cold, hardwood floor. My eyes darted around the room like some caged animal, expecting at any second to be crushed by the falling stones, only to see the creaky old ceiling fan, slowly turning in jerking circles above me. I glanced over at a curiously staring Ramon, who had been half dozing on his perch until I had tumbled out of the bed, and slurred at him, "What are you looking at, cracker breath?"

Ramon flapped his wings and screamed, "SQUAK! She's drunk again! SQUAK! Get the rummy some coffee! Get the rummy some coffee!" I flipped the bird the bird, then got up and sat on the edge of the bed and rubbed my eyes, trying to wake up. Every bit of the dream had seemed so real, I had felt I was living it, as I looked down at my arm for bruises from the falling stones.

The mostly empty bottle of the ill advised Kremulator brand, um, "vintage" Yugoslavian rutabaga vodka stared back at me from the desk. "New rule" I slurred, "No more Yugoslavian booze. Ever." The vile, somewhat clear liquid, was sitting next to the computer that still had my Potco screenshots file open, and the half a box of Kleenex that I had been crying into all night.

"Jeez, why do you let me do that, Ramon? You're supposed to be my friend. I guess it's back to the generic crackers for you" I said, while glaring at the bird. Ramon did a crazy little dance on his perch, flapped his wings, then turned around and gave me a birdie moon.

Getting up, I stumbled over to the desk, and tripped over the Gronkowski jersey that I had somehow made off with, right after he had ripped it off his back while dancing on the table at that Chinese restaurant down on Boylston St. the other night. A playful twelve year olds brain, inside of a hulking twenty five year olds body, whose seeming only off season job is dancing and partying his tighty whities off. Literally.

I rubbed the bump on my head and spiked the jersey onto the bed, and then crawled my way over to the computer, and sat down and closed the Potco file that always seemed to enjoy sadistically haunting me in the dark and lonely hours of the night.

In a daze, probably due to the minor concussion, I stared at the closed file for the longest time, then finally picked up a flash drive off the desk and put it in the usb slot. I dragged everything that was Potco related onto the stick and put it in the small treasure chest I kept in the back of the drawer, and slowly slid it shut.

Without stopping to think it over, I clicked the files, one by one, until they had all been deleted from the computer. I took down my Jolly Roger flag wallpaper and put up my Bob Iger gleefully pushing old people off a cliff one, then went out to the kitchen and returned with a cracker.

My feathered friend hopped up on my shoulder and began eating the cracker, as I scratched his belly and asked him, "Ramon, do you know what walking down a very long road that only seems paved in endless heartache has in common with banging your head against a brick wall, over and over again?" Ramon let out a squawk between mouthfuls of cracker, as I answered, "That's right my friend, they both make you feel so good when you finally stop."

......And the Aesopian moral to this fractured fairy tale:

Emotional roller coasters have a nasty way of ending quite badly, much like plane crashes, and there is no subject here which stirs more emotion than Potco. Trying to bring the game back is a wonderful thing, but so far, drama, public spectacles, and frustrations have been the only thing to be developed.

About 90% of all postings have seemed to be devoted to each project as they have come along, usually about game minutiae, (Yes, let's all talk about a hat for two years) when a playable version is perhaps years away from completion. Then there is yelling, fingers pointed at others, and finally, threads are locked, and then the grand roller coaster ride begins once again.

And a few regulars stop logging on as much...as the one subject begins to dominate conversation, and the fun that attracted people to the place initially, seems to be getting crushed beneath the weight of the 800 pound gorilla that's eating up all the bananas. And then a few more regulars stop logging on... But wait! Tons of new members are signing up every day though!!!...Ah, but most have no picture next to name, and only post in one thread, if at all. Ultimately, 99% of them will be off to the new game forum at some point...and they will have one...still discussing hats most likely, but hey, it's one heck of a great hat.

Perhaps my ayes are out of focus, but how many times can one realistically expect to survive, after repeatedly coming sliding down a burning runway, due to Emulator overload, before the entire plane goes up in a giant ball of flaming silence? A lousy, and unfitting ending for the last original voice of Potco, unless of course you're Bruce Willis, and you are into sliding down burning runways.

Yippy kai yay....

The End

And a few regulars stop logging on as much...as the one subject begins to dominate conversation, and the fun that attracted people to the place initially, seems to be getting crushed beneath the weight of the 800 pound gorilla that's eating up all the bananas. And then a few more regulars stop logging on... But wait! Tons of new members are signing up every day though!!!...Ah, but most have no picture next to name, and only post in one thread, if at all. Ultimately, 99% of them will be off to the new game forum at some point...and they will have one...still discussing hats most likely, but hey, it's one heck of a great hat.
Yippy kai yay....

The End
I have always wondered and thought to myself...

... where exactly did all of the POTCO regulars go if this (post-Sept. 2013) era is as good as we all pretend it to be? Did they go far away or are they still near (only a stone-throw away from returning back to our community at any given moment in time).

I'm no good at conveying emotional things but look, I cannot help but wonder if the hundreds of POTCO regulars departed because they actually grasped ahold of a truth which most of us left here have somehow ignored (I wonder did they each depart because they knew something that we don't)? :confused:

Today, I'm beginning to understand now that the TRUE emulator for POTCO cannot be remade (for it is the 'players' that made POTCO worthwhile and particularly special in a way in which it had).

So I've come to the conclusion (myself brushing off the cracker crumbs now), that most of us have forgotten that POTCO came long before the emulator and not the other way around! Heck, I even have forgotten this truth for a short time...

*It's quite "bitter sweet," don't ye agree? :mad:

To thine own self be true, as a dead bard once said. I assume that some could be waiting in the background, while others I would say have simply moved on with other games or real life. Perhaps if the Cloaking Device here was removed, we may see some of the dear departed, scurrying in the corners, hmm?

Since the moment I had heard of an Emulator, I felt it was a very good thing for some of us, but I knew I would not be hoisting an ale with me hearties ever again. The hopeless romantic in me of course wanted to return to that time, but the cold realist with the sledgehammer side of me understood the rules to life.

As Shamus said, it was all about the people and the feelings you had then, and whereas it is quite possible to bring the game itself back, I highly doubt the feelings we had from that time could ever be Emulated. The memories I have of the game remain special in my heart, and going back could only lessen that in my ayes. I imagine there are quite a few who share these feelings out there, whether they be visible, or invisible. Aye, tis bitter sweet, indeed.

There is only one other piece of business I have, thanking Shamus for his colorful, and very descriptive comments and feedback, in not only my stories, but everywhere else. Never a dull moment in a Shamus comment or thread. Disturbing monkey people, yes, dull moments, no. A long standing ovation goes out to the person who truly puts the fannies in the seats around here. (No clap smilies, so 21 gun salute)
:cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon::cannon:

I would ask just one last favor of you Shamus, please close my three story threads, and I will ...wisely... put down my pen, and in the future leave the storytelling to the professionals.

Thanks again, Shamus.

Thread locked at request of the writer (feeling 'conflicted' about this).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back