• Yes

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • No

Votes: 20 69.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Snerpes

Dockworker
Hello, in-game I'm named Raven Punderrage to whom it may concern.

I think invasions should just be removed, they are too buggy, the last invasion broke when it was jolly time and now this one (12 PM PST) broke on the first brigade, I and fellow guild/crew members have crashed multiple times trying to kill them, then they sit there and bug it out.

In lieu of an invasion and all that XP wasted, why not start a 2XP week? :)

Mate...do you understand what beta is?
It was never about being in beta, point is that its not a feature that should be released.

If it can crash a server and kick an entire defending army out of the game, then it should not be in the game.
Some things like PvP can do this before they were fixed and I understand that cant be taken out.

how are they to be able to fine tune and get all the bugs if you take something out and cant test things with that many people in. you have to add something so a general population can test it to be able to find all the bugs in it otherwise they could release something that hasnt been properly tested with a crowd and end up crashing anyways

how are they to be able to fine tune and get all the bugs if you take something out and cant test things with that many people in. you have to add something so a general population can test it to be able to find all the bugs in it otherwise they could release something that hasnt been properly tested with a crowd and end up crashing anyways
Exactly. They can only test something themselves so much before they need an actual population of players to help with it for stability testing, stress, interactions, etc. It's just part of it imo

I'm not really sure about this: when they were first released they were removed pretty quickly as they just weren't ready for beta but then they came back and seemed to be good enough to stay. Now I'm hearing that they have gone backward and might be bad enough to remove again. Probably there's a quick fix in the works that will put them back to where they were but if not maybe they should be removed again...

In my humble opinion, the only way to vet out issues with coding is user interaction. Sure you can debug all you want and certainly you can find any number of obvious issues; live interaction helps to vet out the "unintended consequences" that are inherent in coding prior to full product release- the places where the ones and zeros do not always play nicely with one another. I've watched the Dev teams where I work struggle with these unintended consequences after each and every deployment no matter how long a project was in VIT, PIT, or UAT beforehand (and these are folks who get paid quite well to do this for a living everyday). How much harder is this process for a group of volunteers no matter how dedicated they may be?

I say ramp up the activity which allows the Dev's to gather a good number of event/error logs to digest and ponder upon, that's what will point them in the direction needed to help produce a cleaner environment much more quickly.

Let the flames begin but just remember, this opinion and six bucks from your wallet will you a coffee at Starbucks :)

Mate...do you understand what beta is?

It was never about being in beta, point is that its not a feature that should be released.

If it can crash a server and kick an entire defending army out of the game, then it should not be in the game.
Some things like PvP can do this before they were fixed and I understand that cant be taken out.
I definitely understand why people don't think it should be removed. You need lots of players to test it and find bugs etc, but I have to say that I think it should be temporarily removed because it's so incredibly buggy that it shouldn't have been released in the first place. The lag with invasions is so horrible that I (and many others) just stopped trying to do them all together.

They should be removed and fixed somewhat (doesn't have to be perfect) then they can be re-added when the lag doesn't kill off the number of players willing to test it.

I definitely understand why people don't think it should be removed. You need lots of players to test it and find bugs etc, but I have to say that I think it should be temporarily removed because it's so incredibly buggy that it shouldn't have been released in the first place. The lag with invasions is so horrible that I (and many others) just stopped trying to do them all together.

They should be removed and fixed somewhat (doesn't have to be perfect) then they can be re-added when the lag doesn't kill off the number of players willing to test it.
Just to clarify my point here is that the lag invasions produce is too significant to allow players to properly test for bugs in invasions like fighting bugs or spawns etc.

This might be off topic, but I have a question. In potco there was a test server that many of the pirates helped with. Do we not have one with tlopo? If we had one maybe that would help with some of the problems we are experiencing now. Some things could be tested by those who belonged to the test server before bringing it public.

Last edited:
I would have to add here that the biggest problem with invasions is the lag. Here and in POTCO, the lag could make or break an invasion. It's what always kept me from joining invasions because the lag affected pirates only, not the invaders. Countless times I was knocked out by the enemies and I couldn't even move or defend myself.
Fix the lag and the rest will work.

That is the biggest problem. Wish I understood programming because I would definitely try to help with this problem. But I know nothing about building a game. I just hope someone figures it out. If Disney couldn't figure it out, I hope it isn't a lost cause.

This might be off topic, but I have a question. In potco there was a test server that many of the pirates helped with. Do we not have one with tlopo? If we had one maybe that would help with some of the problems we are experiencing now. Some things could be tested by those who belonged to the test server before bringing it public.
It is important to remember that our current production server is actually a test server (we are all beta testers). We do have a QA server that is not open to the public, and we have a limited population of testers that is not conducive to testing conditions under load. That's where the production server comes in to do further larger-scale testing.

I am sure once TLOPO reaches a state of "full release" we can expect a public test server with similar vetting procedures to gain access, akin to Disney's test server.

John do you think they will be able to figure out the lag problem. I know it was a big problem with Disney also. It must be a real bugger to figure out and makes me feel for the devs. It has to be frustrating to them also.

Back