Should light sloops be allowed in SvS?

• Yes, allow them.

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • No, do not allow them.

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

Demonai_Warrior

Dockworker
I know many will laugh at the idea, and quite honestly I am already pretty sure that it would not be possible to code anything to lock out light sloops from SvS.

Still, what is a world without people speaking their mind?

I am an old player form the original Pirates Online, and have been playing for about a week. Already as I have dipped my toes back into SvS, I notice two kinds of people. You have your decked out warships with max upgrades, and then you have... Light sloops. The light sloops are near impossible to hit due to the naval combat's poor tracking mechanics, and in the time it takes anyone to actually aim and hit the thing, someone with a high cannon skill can sink most any ship.

While yes, all is fair in warfare. I can't help but feel that having a 100 gold ship easily sink ships that players have invested great amounts of time and gold into simply because the game's broadsides and the ship's small nature make it a great challenge to hit, ruins the experience of SvS. It almost feels like an exploit with how it is treated. You do not see new players doing it, you see max level players using them. You mention how it is a challenge to hit a light sloop before they sink you and you are given a mischievous response from someone who clearly knows how broken such a tactic is.

My personal feelings aside, I would like to know what the rest of the community's feelings are on the matter. Do you agree that light sloops should not be allowed in Ship vs. Ship? Or do you feel that they should remain?

I'm in the light sloop camp. I always root for the underdog, the little ship that could. I don't at all see why people are against light sloops, to me they are one of the best things in the game and seeing one crush a Copperhead War Frigate is very gratifying.

I'm in the light sloop camp. I always root for the underdog, the little ship that could. I don't at all see why people are against light sloops, to me they are one of the best things in the game and seeing one crush a Copperhead War Frigate is very gratifying.
The reason I feel as though they should not be allowed is that they are not being used like underdogs, they are purposefully having their small hitboxes and the game's poor aiming mechanics abused. If you were just as likely to hit a light sloop with a broadside as any other ship, that would be one thing. But the game just outright does not even aim towards them.

The reason I feel as though they should not be allowed is that they are not being used like underdogs, they are purposefully having their small hitboxes and the game's poor aiming mechanics abused. If you were just as likely to hit a light sloop with a broadside as any other ship, that would be one thing. But the game just outright does not even aim towards them.
I just don't see any of that as abuse. Every ship has it's strengths and weaknesses and the light sloop is no exception. A light sloop can be countered by a Storm Chaser Sloop. In my opinion if you are sailing a behemoth against a light sloop then your only chance is to have a full crew of ace cannoneers as you are at a disadvantage otherwise.

I know many will laugh at the idea, and quite honestly I am already pretty sure that it would not be possible to code anything to lock out light sloops from SvS.

Still, what is a world without people speaking their mind?

I am an old player form the original Pirates Online, and have been playing for about a week. Already as I have dipped my toes back into SvS, I notice two kinds of people. You have your decked out warships with max upgrades, and then you have... Light sloops. The light sloops are near impossible to hit due to the naval combat's poor tracking mechanics, and in the time it takes anyone to actually aim and hit the thing, someone with a high cannon skill can sink most any ship.

While yes, all is fair in warfare. I can't help but feel that having a 100 gold ship easily sink ships that players have invested great amounts of time and gold into simply because the game's broadsides and the ship's small nature make it a great challenge to hit, ruins the experience of SvS. It almost feels like an exploit with how it is treated. You do not see new players doing it, you see max level players using them. You mention how it is a challenge to hit a light sloop before they sink you and you are given a mischievous response from someone who clearly knows how broken such a tactic is.

My personal feelings aside, I would like to know what the rest of the community's feelings are on the matter. Do you agree that light sloops should not be allowed in Ship vs. Ship? Or do you feel that they should remain?
Do light sloops have the same broadside power as your big ship? Perhaps light sloops may be overpowered in svs then?
If light sloops have fire power equal to their size, then it's mostly a practiced technique of running circles around you and picking apart your ship bit by bit. That seems fair to me. However, if a light sloop can practically sink you with one broadside or two, then that may need looking at.
Do you get where I'm coming from? A sloops maneuverability would need to be balanced to it's broadsides. Perhaps it is, I don't know yet.

Do light sloops have the same broadside power as your big ship? Perhaps light sloops may be overpowered in svs then?
If light sloops have fire power equal to their size, then it's mostly a practiced technique of running circles around you and picking apart your ship bit by bit. That seems fair to me. However, if a light sloop can practically sink you with one broadside or two, then that may need looking at.
Do you get where I'm coming from? A sloops maneuverability would need to be balanced to it's broadsides. Perhaps it is, I don't know yet.
It is not the broadsides that do it, those are perfectly fine for the ship's size and tier. The issue comes into play when a player with max cannon level can sink you from the sloop's cannon. Because ship tier or size does not matter, any cannon can do any amounts of damage. It would be nice if the ship cannons had damage caps. Maybe you do more damage still if you've a high cannon level, but could not do as much as if on a war ship.

It is not the broadsides that do it, those are perfectly fine for the ship's size and tier. The issue comes into play when a player with max cannon level can sink you from the sloop's cannon. Because ship tier or size does not matter, any cannon can do any amounts of damage. It would be nice if the ship cannons had damage caps. Maybe you do more damage still if you've a high cannon level, but could not do as much as if on a war ship.
Well then, it's another case of people figuring out a different angle and almost an exploit. Crew with all maxed alts or friends on a sloop and you get what you've experienced.
I don't see any realistic solution. My solution is never venture into svs or pvp ever. I personally don't miss it. but that's me.

The broadsides of light sloops are weak, as everyone knows. The real power in SvS comes from your cannoneers. What he is complaining about is that a single good cannoneer on a light sloop can easily beat a full crew of poor cannoneers on a large ship. The large ship is easy to hit whereas the light sloop is difficult to hit. Really if you have 6 ace cannoneers on a large ship they should still pound a light sloop, it's when you only have limited crew or poor crew that you will get your lunch stolen by a light sloop. Of course it's much easier to get one good cannoneer than it is to get six so the light sloop has an advantage there.

Back