Question Servers

Fr34kC0d3r

Pirate Apprentice
This is a question for the TLOPO Staff. Who/How are the TLOPO servers being hosted? Does one of the staff members host from his/her home? Is there a data center hosting them? Im somewhat curious as to how they are being hosted and whether or not the Staff members have physical access to the servers.

Also, I know the Staff said they are not going to let users run their own servers, but I say that it would relieve stress on the main server as well as add infinite flexibility to the player as well as allow fun mods that people think of that might not be available on the main server. I think that in order to mitigate the risk of "inappropriate" content arising on user made servers, a backdoor or admin panel should be required to register the server.

To sum up what I said, I dont think the team should write off user hosted servers, but instead a discussion should be had and a compromise should be made to ensure everyone enjoys the amazing job the staff have done!

Keep up the good work guys.

Cheers :cheers:,
Fr34k

They didn't steal the server-side code, mind you.

Sorry I wasnt trying to attack them nor discredit their work and tbh I would have done the same thing if I was in their position. I did not word my comment properly so I apologise. I guess what I was trying to say was that they are using borrowed code anyway.

Well they technically stole the code anyway from the launcher files so im not sure whether or not they are barred from distributing the files they have.
Distributing "borrowed/stolen/whatever you wanna call it" code is just making a rocky situation worse. The TLOPO team is already risking a lot by recreating the game for us using existing code and making their own to go with it. Distributing something that's not theirs is a huge risk.

Also, I honestly feel that stuff like this isn't really something that POTCO/TLOPO needs. Plus, keeping it centralized would be in the best interests for the developers since they can maintain it easier if everything's all in one place easier to manage.

Distributing "borrowed/stolen/whatever you wanna call it" code is just making a rocky situation worse. The TLOPO team is already risking a lot by recreating the game for us using existing code and making their own to go with it. Distributing something that's not theirs is a huge risk.

Also, I honestly feel that stuff like this isn't really something that POTCO/TLOPO needs. Plus, keeping it centralized would be in the best interests for the developers since they can maintain it easier if everything's all in one place easier to manage.

True I guess. I just thought that branching out would keep the cost down for the devs in addition to allowing more versatility.

True I guess. I just thought that branching out would keep the cost down for the devs in addition to allowing more versatility.
Yeah, but I think in the end it would complicate things.

Also I should note that I feel like I'm shooting you down a lot today. I'm not doing it intentionally, it's just that I apparently don't agree with much of what you're saying today is all :p Sorry lol, don't wanna make enemies.

Yeah, but I think in the end it would complicate things.

Also I should note that I feel like I'm shooting you down a lot today. I'm not doing it intentionally, it's just that I apparently don't agree with much of what you're saying today is all :p Sorry lol, don't wanna make enemies.

Lol its cool. Thats the trouble with posting in discussions, people are gonna have different opinions. I dont really care whether or not someone agrees with me or not, as long as they consider my points as well as others'. It makes me satisfied when at the end of a discussion someone has more to think about than when they first entered. My one hope in life is that everyone I come across becomes a little more educated in the other side of the argument. For what is life without the will to learn.

According to Michael (this was some time ago, this may have changed, take this with a grain of salt.) they use a service to host their servers, he talked about it on IRC one time. I assume anyone can know about this since he talked about it in the public IRC.

According to Michael (this was some time ago, this may have changed, take this with a grain of salt.) they use a service to host their servers, he talked about it on IRC one time. I assume anyone can know about this since he talked about it in the public IRC.
I thought I heard that TLOPO was self-hosting now.. but honestly I'm too lazy right now to look into it lol sorry.

Back