Ship Designs = What Was Disney Thinking

William Firesword

Honorable Pirate
Why is the Brig the ONLY ship that is semi-realistic? I mean, the Galleon is "OK" but still not even close to historically accurate. Then there is the frigate... Someone explain how Disney thought this would be a "neat" ship lol. In game is functions fine and everything but look at it! There isn't a ship in existence that was shaped like that haha.

SIDE NOTE: I'm not counting the Queen Ann's Revenge or the Black Pearl in this because you cannot use either of them.
latest

Last edited:
Pirates of the Caribbean never claimed to be historically accurate, and the game is even father off. Personally I don't mind the ship designs, if I wanted to play a simulator I would look for a different game. The truth is, a completely historically accurate game would be very boring. I am satisfied with the creative liberties that they took.

Haha I totally agree. The frigate class is especially obscure. Jzfredskins sums it up rather well. The creativity and freedom of historical boundaries makes the game much more of an adventure with endless possibilities.

I totally understand that this isn't a simulator, I'm
Haha I totally agree. The frigate class is especially obscure. Jzfredskins sums it up rather well. The creativity and freedom of historical boundaries makes the game much more of an adventure with endless possibilities.
I suppose a positive thing is I've never seen a single frigate sink due to waves lol!

I like the ships they had, they were unique and fun :) Plus, think of it this way:

If I told you to draw a car, you'd probably just draw something that resembled the shape of a car. But if I told you to draw a Ford Taurus, wouldn't you struggle just a little bit more to get it to look right? I feel like it'd be easier to create your own content than to try and accurately model them after something that already exists.
(I'm not an artist or modeler and don't know this for sure, so don't hold me to it :p Just food for thought here, people!)

P.S. I love the picture of the War Frigate, very scenic :)

POTCO was never "historically accurate" as Jzfredskins said, and I believe a game with everything connecting to history would be boring. The ships take on a unique aspect which is what makes them original. Some are accurate to history, but others are not. Besides, I think most ships look okay. If in the future TLOPO wishes to make it accurate, be my guest.

You must also keep in mind that Disney is targeted primarily at younger audiences, even though it's still popular among all age groups. POTCO was never meant to be scientifically or historically accurate; it was just an MMO that made lots of people's childhoods; mine included.

The inaccuracy in this game is what made it stand out, I would prefer POTCO/TLOPO to POTBS anyday, just because of the aspect of creativity.

The sloops and Brigs are fine, albeit a bit odd.
I think the Galleon is a bit over the top, but plausible.
However, the Frigate is well past the absurd!
Looks more like a soap box racer I made several years ago, lol!
Except no wheels, but yeah...
Savor!

I've never had a problem with the simplicity of the ships. I've thought of it as following the cartoonish, light-hearted tone of the game, both perfect for kids and adults who aren't looking for historical accuracy, just a fun, pirate-themed game.

On the practical side, I'd say for the sake of performance on home computers at the time (think Celeron with 256mb of RAM on a Gateway running Windows XP... yea) that ship quality had to be truncated a bit so that everyone could run the game at the time.

LOL, while most frigates look nothing like the Disney depiction, there was a basis for their design, which they took some liberties with when adding it into the game.
Here's one of the inspirational war frigates they might have been thinking about. Look at those cannons!
war frigate.jpg

What? You never seen a real life frigate with a giant metal corkscrew in the front? What world do you live in? Tsk. Tsk. :p

Back