Ship Of The Line idea

Half a day? What would happen to the ship slot afterwards? Seems like a waste in my opinion.

Maybe if it were a "raid" styled event where you fought off Bounty Hunters on a larger ship that could hold 15 crew members or so (not actually sure of what the SotL in-game files say it can hold) and receive special rewards at the end. I could see that — but available for purchase? My first impression would be no.

eh, that would just make everyone log on and cause server issues

perhaps, instead of that, there could be another way for players to unlock it. something I just thought of would be to make it cost max gold, and only be unlockable after mastering sailing, svs infamy, and possibly completing a quest (maybe black pearl quest or a new quest)

I would love to see this eventually added into tlopo though

eh, that would just make everyone log on and cause server issues

perhaps, instead of that, there could be another way for players to unlock it. something I just thought of would be to make it cost max gold, and only be unlockable after mastering sailing, svs infamy, and possibly completing a quest (maybe black pearl quest or a new quest)

I would love to see this eventually added into tlopo though

True. And the last thing we need is more server lag... I still don't think it'd be a great idea to have permanently... SvS would be in shambles for one thing. It would be just the people in SotL winning the majority of the time (presumably)...

I would agree with the whole maxed sailing etc. if this were to be implemented at some point.

I've always been against the Ship of the Line being bought because for one, it would destroy SvS entirely simply because of the amount of firepower it has and the amount of hull protection it has. It would also detract from the uniqueness of the ship because it is very rare to spot an NPC SOTL, and if it were available to buy, I think it would kind of destroy that uniqueness. I've said it in a previous thread, but perhaps as a compromise, a Razee could be added. A Razee is essentially a Ship Of The Line, generally a Third or Fourth Rate, that has had its upper deck(s) cut off, along with the heavier guns on those decks, to increase speed and maneuverability while still maintaining the hull integrity of a Ship of the Line, as well as some of the heavier cannons on the lower deck(s).
upload_2017-1-16_10-24-48-jpeg.77158
<---- Razee vs Ship of the Line ----> https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMgKYgs8x_2XGg31l***ukmgD3zsPQHKG5Bgu-OydX2v9QDNWs

I think that the game as it was before POTCO closed was not set up to have players with SOLs but I admit that I never tried them on the test server. It seems to me that the only practical use for such a ship would be battling the fleet otherwise it is too OP. I would prefer more ship customization options and more realistic sailing mechanics to a heavier class of ship being available for purchase.

Like Roger said, I'm a staunch "anti-SOTL" person. I would like a new ship but one that is properly balanced and not impossible to sink. I mean SvS will get pretty boring if we all stop our ships and just blow each other's boats into oblivion and just whoever can hit their broadside buttons faster wins.

@Shamus The Brute I've always wanted to hear your input about the SOTL, what are your thoughts on it?

I've always been against the Ship of the Line being bought because for one, it would destroy SvS entirely simply because of the amount of firepower it has and the amount of hull protection it has. It would also detract from the uniqueness of the ship because it is very rare to spot an NPC SOTL, and if it were available to buy, I think it would kind of destroy that uniqueness. I've said it in a previous thread, but perhaps as a compromise, a Razee could be added. A Razee is essentially a Ship Of The Line, generally a Third or Fourth Rate, that has had its upper deck(s) cut off, along with the heavier guns on those decks, to increase speed and maneuverability while still maintaining the hull integrity of a Ship of the Line, as well as some of the heavier cannons on the lower deck(s).
upload_2017-1-16_10-24-48-jpeg.77158
<---- Razee vs Ship of the Line ---->
images
They could make it so that SOTLs could not be launched from the French and Spanish islands .

Back