Ship Permissions

William Kid

Honorable Pirate
Ok I'm staff on a minecraft server and while dealing with a player yesterday I came up with this idea. On a lot of minecraft servers they have protections enabled that prevent griefing and such. Most of these protections can be modified by the player to allow friends and other players to work and build in his area or not. This is where the idea came in.

I have been reading a lot of posts about people grabbing the wheel of players ships, cannoneers who refuse to stop shooting at ships not being targeted, the list goes on and on. A lot of people would like to see a boot feature put in so you can get rid of trouble players but just as many feel this would allow Capt. to boot unfairly and claim loot all to himself. So here is my suggestion.

Add ship permissions -

Any player joining a ship is automatically added to a crew controlled by the Capt. of the ship. By default each of these players gains the cannoneer permission level. He can repair the ship and run a cannon but not control the ship.

The Capt. has an option to promote a player, guild mate, friend to First Mate who can drive the ship should he become dc'd- need a bathroom break - you name it. This would stop undesirables from taking control of our beloved Pearl but keep your ship from being dead in the water in case of emergency- Savvy?

The Capt. would also have the option to kick players from the crew. This would not kick the player from the ship but would take away his permission to run a cannon there by rendering his ability to do mischief nil. He would be allowed to stay on board till the ship ported and collect any loot that he had a part in earning while running a cannon to keep it fair.

If a player proved himself to be a true bridge dwelling troll and the Capt. just really can't stand him he can ignore the player. This would stop any verbal abuse from said troll but also that Capt's ship would not show up as a possible ship to join in the future. Making it impossible for that player to continue to take up space on your ship any longer once you have ported.

Well you get the basic idea. I'm sure it has some issues that people can point out but I think it also has some merit. Let me hear your thoughts.

Ahoy William,
I rarely open my ship to public for the reasons as you have mentioned. I had done so recently and it had proven itself a poor choice, once again. We had a crew member that instigated, became rude, and I was unable to dismiss him from my ship, so a bit of banter ensued.
With that in mind, I think your ideas are worthwhile and I hope they are considered! Thank you for the post.
:pirate ship:

This is really thought out! I like your suggestions and it would be easier to stop people from getting loot without working for it.

Ok I'm staff on a minecraft server and while dealing with a player yesterday I came up with this idea. On a lot of minecraft servers they have protections enabled that prevent griefing and such. Most of these protections can be modified by the player to allow friends and other players to work and build in his area or not. This is where the idea came in.

I have been reading a lot of posts about people grabbing the wheel of players ships, cannoneers who refuse to stop shooting at ships not being targeted, the list goes on and on. A lot of people would like to see a boot feature put in so you can get rid of trouble players but just as many feel this would allow Capt. to boot unfairly and claim loot all to himself. So here is my suggestion.

Add ship permissions -

Any player joining a ship is automatically added to a crew controlled by the Capt. of the ship. By default each of these players gains the cannoneer permission level. He can repair the ship and run a cannon but not control the ship.

The Capt. has an option to promote a player, guild mate, friend to First Mate who can drive the ship should he become dc'd- need a bathroom break - you name it. This would stop undesirables from taking control of our beloved Pearl but keep your ship from being dead in the water in case of emergency- Savvy?

The Capt. would also have the option to kick players from the crew. This would not kick the player from the ship but would take away his permission to run a cannon there by rendering his ability to do mischief nil. He would be allowed to stay on board till the ship ported and collect any loot that he had a part in earning while running a cannon to keep it fair.

If a player proved himself to be a true bridge dwelling troll and the Capt. just really can't stand him he can ignore the player. This would stop any verbal abuse from said troll but also that Capt's ship would not show up as a possible ship to join in the future. Making it impossible for that player to continue to take up space on your ship any longer once you have ported.

Well you get the basic idea. I'm sure it has some issues that people can point out but I think it also has some merit. Let me hear your thoughts.

You see...if I am the captain of my ship, and you decide to do nothing and just sit there. I don't want you out of my crew, I want you OFF my ship....
Also, if you disobey the captain and decide "lol, lets shoot every ship I see cuz y not." I don't want you out of my crew, I want you OFF my ship...

I do propose a compromise however, what if other players in your "crew" (as you defined) could vote to kick somebody off the ship? I could still see this being partially abused however (group of friends makes majority you can basically kick everyone off).

I like everything except the kicking out of the crew, I don't want a bridge troll taking a valuable crew slot when I could have someone a lot more competent in that slot not to mention a lot more deserving of the loot. If I don't have some type of controlled option to actually boot people off the ship. Then I would much rather keep it as is and I'll just not allow people on my ship.

EDIT: I just read the part where they can't join after you port. Still, they don't deserve the loot...Also since most trolls are dedicated can't you just log out and log back in the same server? Your ship is still public meaning they could still troll, oh yea, and for the extreme trolls they could just use other pirates to come take that slot. Again, I love the idea but I think there needs to be an option to KICK someone off the ship otherwise they could still cause mischiefs with simple bypasses as I mention above.

Last edited:
You see...if I am the captain of my ship, and you decide to do nothing and just sit there. I don't want you out of my crew, I want you OFF my ship....
Also, if you disobey the captain and decide "lol, lets shoot every ship I see cuz y not." I don't want you out of my crew, I want you OFF my ship...

I do propose a compromise however, what if other players in your "crew" (as you defined) could vote to kick somebody off the ship? I could still see this being partially abused however (group of friends makes majority you can basically kick everyone off).

I'm with you, If I had my way it would be a long walk off a short plank and they are no longer on my ship but as with your compromise people see the ability to abuse the straight boot factor. I'm trying to find a "middle" ground. I like the vote idea but yeah trolls seem to attract each other. Maybe a boot option where they get what ever loot has been earned up to that point to help people be a bit less sketchy on the abuse but the ability to have them gone NOW is there. Could add a 3 strikes your out type thing where if you get kicked from 3 ships in a certain amount of time you get a forced break from the game

Again, I love the idea but I think there needs to be an option to KICK someone off the ship otherwise they could still cause mischiefs with simple bypasses as I mention above.

How 'bout make them walk the plank off your ships then they start from jail after lol. Could this be coded in?

Since the captain is main command why not set a button for 'no cannon fire' that locks mates from firing when not ordered? The kicking off idea is cool since it is worse to have others on ship not complying.

I think a satisfactory solution would be to allow captains to boot whenever they feel it necessary to do so, rather than exclusively during an SvS match. If the captain boots the whole crew unfairly so that he/she can take all of the gold for themselves, then players can report him/her for it. They can even type out the specific complaint.

Really, though, you can't ever have a perfect system.

Like...capitalism; it's not perfect, but it's the best we can probably do.

Point is, there will always be an inconvenience. Sometimes you just have to live with it.

[EDIT]: I just realized this was addressing the Minecraft version of the game, which I do not participate in. I have no idea how it functions, so perhaps my input is actually quite superfluous.

[EDIT]: I just realized this was addressing the Minecraft version of the game, which I do not participate in. I have no idea how it functions, so perhaps my input is actually quite superfluous.

Nope I was only referring to a system used in minecraft this was intended to be for TLOPO. My server has nothing to do with pirates.

At the rate this game crashes sometimes, the first mate and half the crew can vanish in a heartbeat, leaving lvl 3 freebooter to do as he sees fit with your ship.
What I think would work is a skill meter, so any pirates below a certain mastery will not be able to take the helm at all. If no pirate can sail the ship, any of a numbe of options can happen next, like auto sailing to the nearest island and porting, or simply no longer being at sea, etc.
As for the moochers, have an activity meter that would know whether they've been repairing, shooting or going afk. Those that don't participate get booted from crew and/or get no loot.
Of course, there'll always be some pirates who slip through the cracks, but nothing is ever perfect...

Back