Idea Ship Renaming

I'd like to be able to name a Ship like you can a character, may lead to a few more people naming there ship "Enterprise" or "Black Pearl" but well worth it to see that one creative person sail past you.

I'd like to be able to name a Ship like you can a character, may lead to a few more people naming there ship "Enterprise" or "Black Pearl" but well worth it to see that one creative person sail past you.

If they apply naming restrictions similar to those for pirates, then names of ships from the movies would be off limits.

Custom naming for ships would certainly be a welcome addition (though my original post was about renaming a ship post-purchase.) ;)

Possibly do a quest for a shipwright (Maybe level 20+ or something?) that gives you the right to get a name change that also has a fee on top of it that is totally dependent on the type of ship that you are trying to rename? I think name changes would be easy as long as they stick to the "Pre-Approved" names because that wouldn't require any additional moderation. When you want to start customizing names is where it'd likely get tricky and has been requested on other threads.

Possibly do a quest for a shipwright (Maybe level 20+ or something?) that gives you the right to get a name change that also has a fee on top of it that is totally dependent on the type of ship that you are trying to rename? I think name changes would be easy as long as they stick to the "Pre-Approved" names because that wouldn't require any additional moderation. When you want to start customizing names is where it'd likely get tricky and has been requested on other threads.

Personally rather just pay gold to rename my ship.

Yes please! Yes please! Personally I am beginning to change my mind about getting storm chaser, but I put lightning in the name! I really, really dont want a name that doesnt match the ship. The ship is already streamlined III, selling it just to rename it is not an option.

Also these new emblems will make a lot of people with ships already want to change their ship name. Now we have access to Battle-Royale's Lion emblem I wish one of my other ships had the name 'Lion' in it somewhere. Again, too late to sell now.

I can understand why developers wouldn't want this to be too easy, its kind of like changing a pirate's name. If there is a famous ship in the sea perhaps, one notorious at SVS for example, people that have the same ship and hull could just rename it and take the glory. No one would really make a ship from scratch to copy someone but simply renaming a ship, they might do that.

It wouldn't make too much sense but I see no real problem with making it like retraining skill points. Make it more and more expensive to change the name each time.
This will deter anyone from changing the ship name too often, but it will always be possible if they need too.

I can understand why developers wouldn't want this to be too easy, its kind of like changing a pirate's name. If there is a famous ship in the sea perhaps, one notorious at SVS for example, people that have the same ship and hull could just rename it and take the glory. No one would really make a ship from scratch to copy someone but simply renaming a ship, they might do that.

It wouldn't make too much sense but I see no real problem with making it like retraining skill points. Make it more and more expensive to change the name each time.
This will deter anyone from changing the ship name too often, but it will always be possible if they need too.

I dunno about making it get more and more expensive, I already dislike that approach to weapon skills as it is, always disliked it since POTCO. If they had to make it progressively more expensive (for this supposed notoriety at sea or something) I'd tie it to a timer system. Lets say I rename my ship for 5000 gold. Well next time I rename it, it's 10000, but if I wait say two weeks or a month, it'll be 5000 again. That way people like me who have trouble with ship names aren't 'punished' for more renames while it still punishes renaming way too fast. I'd very much like to see something similar for weapon retraining as well (maybe I need to spec my Voodoo Doll more for healing once, and later more for Damage, etc).

My other caveat to the more expensive idea is that if it is too expensive (think 20,000+) then in my opinion it would defeat the point of why I'm suggesting it in the first place (to 'rename' your ship right now you basically have to sell it and buy a new one, already causing a significant loss of funds.)

I do agree that it shouldn't be super easy, after all like you addressed it is fairly significant, but I don't think it should be exceptionally difficult or punishing (or at least should only punish very hasty behavior rather than patient, simply indecisive behavior).

Naming Customization is a fantastic idea, however, this grants the opportunity to slip in some NSFW ideas. Perhaps Ship Names would need to be approved like Pirate names?

Naming Customization is a fantastic idea, however, this grants the opportunity to slip in some NSFW ideas. Perhaps Ship Names would need to be approved like Pirate names?

This thread was originally about renaming your ship (pay some gold for the pre-set name selection to pop back up). While I wouldn't mind custom naming, I feel that having a 'rename' option would be a great quality of life feature instead of having to sell a ship to change the name.

Back