Discussion Ship Repair and Enemy Ship Damage Innacurate

WilyJaymes

Honorable Pirate
So, I've just started playing yesterday, and I've noticed something strange: Enemy ship damage seems to be far less than what it was back in POTCO. I was sailing with a bloke today, and we were able to tank an EITC Behemoth with nothing more than a non-upgraded brig, yet it took those explosive shots like a true copperhead. Likewise, it only takes one run through on ship repair to get a ship back to brand new. This is miles off from the original game, and effectively turns sea battles into "easy mode." Even the bounty hunters seem to only do as much damage as the generic enemy ships used to do in POTCO.

However, it's possible I've jumped the gun, and these overtuned mechanics are intentional simply for BETA testing. It certainly seems like too noticeable a thing to ignore, so my gut tells me it is meant to be -- for whatever reason. But if not, I'd like to hear others' thoughts.

Edit: Copied my below post to shed light on what is really causing the issue.
Ok, I've figured out what is producing these wonky damage values. Apparently, according to a few experienced captains I've sailed with, enemy ship damage appears to be based off of your own cannon skills. That is why it seemed much less to me, because I had just started out when I made this thread. My cannon level was low and weak, therefore so were enemy ships. For example, if you take a guy who has 20 sailing and 1 cannon, and he takes his war frigate out, even a Tally-ho won't make a scratch.

Last edited:
Well I'm not sure exactly, but it is very noticeably less than what it should be. And that's for all enemy ships, not just the Behemoth.

I dont know, from what i've seen damage is pretty on spot, it's possible the explosives could have missed. Ive been brought to red by single broadsides of explosives several times if I take the full brunt. Also, taking a behemoth with a brig is actually what I wold consider to be pretty average. A single Behemoth shouldn't be able to take out a reg ship, that'd be too much.

Behemoths used to be terrifying even to warships back in the day if you ever managed to be hit directly. It is possible that the AI is really bugged out right now and enemy ships can't aim worth a darn.

On the other hand, ship repair is definitely overtuned, comparatively speaking.

Enemy ships were never really good at aim, most of the time they would miss or their cannons would fail to even deploy, I don't know maybe its just me but pirates are always a step ahead of enemies, they may even miss to give you more chances at survival or something

Ok, I've figured out what is producing these wonky damage values. Apparently, according to a few experienced captains I've sailed with, enemy ship damage appears to be based off of your own cannon skills. That is why it seemed much less to me, because I had just started out when I made this thread. My cannon level was low and weak, therefore so were enemy ships. For example, if you take a guy who has 20 sailing and 1 cannon, and he takes his war frigate out, even a Tally-ho won't make a scratch.

Back